Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Roast questions

I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas, and with beef
roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin roast. How do you like to
cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you add any liquid? What temperature?

I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been making me sick
lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.

If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat but I'd like
something I can serve with gravy.

Thanks in advance!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 27 Oct 2007 08:48:51p, Nexis meant to say...

> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas,
> and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin
> roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you
> add any liquid? What temperature?
>
> I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been making
> me sick lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.
>
> If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat
> but I'd like something I can serve with gravy.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> kimberly

I like this, Kimberly. It's simple, but very flavorful, and you can make
gravy with the pan juices.

4 large garlic cloves, pressed
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork loin roast, well trimmed
Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch roasting pan with foil. Mix
first 4 ingredients in bowl. Rub garlic mixture all over pork. Place pork,
fat side down, in prepared roasting pan. Roast pork 30 minutes. Turn roast
fat side up. Roast until thermometer inserted into center of pork registers
155°F., about 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.

Pour any juices from roasting pan into small saucepan; set over low heat to
keep warm. Cut pork crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange pork
slices on platter. Pour pan juices over. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if
desired.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas,
> and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin
> roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you
> add any liquid? What temperature?

I wait until they are on sale at $1.99-2.50 a pound and get a five-ten pound
roast, then
cut thin and thick chops or medalions from half and freeze them, roast the
other part.

My favorite way, if I am not braising, is to place the roast in a shallow
roasting
pan with rosemary tucked in little slots I make, and salt and pepper.
Rosemary
is my favorite spice for pork and chicken, because I find I need little salt
when I
use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> I like this, Kimberly. It's simple, but very flavorful, and you can make
> gravy with the pan juices.

[snips recipe]

That looks good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote

> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas,
> and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin
> roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you
> add any liquid? What temperature?

Idle question, kimberly, is it boneless? I can't find bone-in pork roast
in the supermarket for nothin. Sometimes they like to play a little joke
and advertise them on sale.

Once in a while I'll pick them up from the butcher at heavy price,
not that I mind supporting my butcher.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat
> but I'd like something I can serve with gravy.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> kimberly

My favorite easy pork loin recipe- fabulous sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roast Pork Loin with Apples and Mushrooms

Recipe By :Southern Living; Ouida Hamilton, Birmingham, Alabama.
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dishes Pork & Ham

3 pounds boneless rolled pork loin roast -- well trimmed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons dry white vermouth -- (sherry works well)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons butter -- divided
3 small cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut 8ths
3/4 pound fresh mushrooms -- sliced

Sprinkle roast with seasonings and place in lightly greased baking pan.
Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes; reduce heat and roast at 325 degrees
for another 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches
160 degrees.
Remove roast to platter and keep warm, letting stand 10 minutes before
slicing.
Place roasting pan over medium heat; add apple cider, stirring to scrape
up any drippings. Add vermouth, chicken broth and whipping cream. Bring
to a boil and cook 15 minutes or until thickened. Stirring often.
Remove from heat.
Melt 1 1/2 T. butter in skillet and add apples and cook till golden,
turning once. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
Melt remaining 1 1/2 T. butter in skillet and saute mushrooms till
tender. Stir in cream mixture and cook ingredients over low heat until
thoroughly heated.
Place 3 slices or roast pork on plates and spoon about 1/4 cup sauce
mixture over meat and serve with apple slices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas,
> and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin
> roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you
> add any liquid? What temperature?
>
> I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been making me
> sick lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.
>
> If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat
> but I'd like something I can serve with gravy.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> kimberly

Bone in or boneless?

I like to do the boneless by just seasoning simply with salt, pepper,
garlic, oregano. Put it into a cast iron skillet to use as the roasting
pan. Add maybe 1/4 cup of water so the dripping don't dry up on the bottom
of the pan. Put it in the oven at 340 until it reaches 145 degrees. When
it does, set it aside and make a sauce or gravy in the pan.

The bone in is usually done in a larger pan on a rack. Have the butcher cut
the bone and season between the bone and the meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Idle question, kimberly, is it boneless? I can't find bone-in pork roast
> in the supermarket for nothin. Sometimes they like to play a little joke
> and advertise them on sale.

My ACMEs now have mini meat coolers all over the store. They had a cooler
of chicken packs at the entrance, jumbo steak packs in a cooler in the
vegetable section.

Sometimes by the back meat cases, they also spread the same meats in those
long center aisle coolers. If you want a bone-in pork roast you might have
to check the whole store!

Hmmm, I wonder if the chicken thighs in the bakery section cooler are
fresher than the chicken thighs on the meat case shelves or cheaper than
the ones over by the milk.

It's crazy I tell ya!

I have a fair understanding of the psychology of product placement and
keeping the customer in the store as long as possible but that's going too
far.

And don't get me started about the check-out lanes! (smile)

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...
>
>> Idle question, kimberly, is it boneless? I can't find bone-in pork roast
>> in the supermarket for nothin. Sometimes they like to play a little joke
>> and advertise them on sale.

> My ACMEs now have mini meat coolers all over the store. They had a cooler
> of chicken packs at the entrance, jumbo steak packs in a cooler in the
> vegetable section.

I haven't seen steaks in the produce section, but yeah, you could
hardly get in the door with that meat cooler right there. Since they
have remodeled my Acme, I don't know if it's still there. They
added a bunch of food bar type things (not right there) that are
destined to fail ... well, maybe the mini olive bar will make it.

> Sometimes by the back meat cases, they also spread the same meats in those
> long center aisle coolers. If you want a bone-in pork roast you might have
> to check the whole store!

I do look in those coolers but I confess I've never seen pork in them.
Chicken, turkey, those boxes of burgers. Next time I think I'll ask the
invisible meat people.

> Hmmm, I wonder if the chicken thighs in the bakery section cooler are
> fresher than the chicken thighs on the meat case shelves or cheaper than
> the ones over by the milk.
>
> It's crazy I tell ya!

When I think back to that chain BA - Before Albertsons - I think
how much they have improved and count my blessings. Of the three
chains that I now have available close by, each of them has some issue.
That's not including Wegmans, which isn't all that close. I'm pretty much
at peace with Acme now, though they've narrowed the aisles, and are still
working on it. Not an improvement.

> I have a fair understanding of the psychology of product placement and
> keeping the customer in the store as long as possible but that's going too
> far.
>
> And don't get me started about the check-out lanes! (smile)

Heh. I make every effort to go on 'off' hours, like 10am.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 10:58 pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 27 Oct 2007 08:48:51p, Nexis meant to say...
>
> > I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas,
> > and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin
> > roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you
> > add any liquid? What temperature?

> > I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been making
> > me sick lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.

> > If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat
> > but I'd like something I can serve with gravy.

> > Thanks in advance!

> > kimberly

> I like this, Kimberly. It's simple, but very flavorful, and you can make
> gravy with the pan juices.
>
> 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
> 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
> 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
> 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork loin roast, well trimmed
> Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)

Good ingredients.

> Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch roasting pan with foil. Mix
> first 4 ingredients in bowl. Rub garlic mixture all over pork. Place pork,
> fat side down, in prepared roasting pan. Roast pork 30 minutes. Turn roast
> fat side up. Roast until thermometer inserted into center of pork registers
> 155°F., about 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.
>
> Pour any juices from roasting pan into small saucepan; set over low heat to
> keep warm. Cut pork crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange pork
> slices on platter. Pour pan juices over. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if
> desired.

I don't think I'd make that if fresh rosemary was not available. It's
the one herb that isn't even adequate when dried.

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 28 Oct 2007 07:34:23a, Bobo BonoboŽ meant to say...

> On Oct 27, 10:58 pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 27 Oct 2007 08:48:51p, Nexis meant to say...
>>
>> > I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue,

carnitas,
>> > and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork

loin
>> > roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do

you
>> > add any liquid? What temperature?

>> > I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been

making
>> > me sick lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.

>> > If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed

meat
>> > but I'd like something I can serve with gravy.

>> > Thanks in advance!

>> > kimberly

>> I like this, Kimberly. It's simple, but very flavorful, and you can

make
>> gravy with the pan juices.
>>
>> 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
>> 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
>> 1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork loin roast, well trimmed
>> Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)

> Good ingredients.
>>
>> Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch roasting pan with foil. Mix
>> first 4 ingredients in bowl. Rub garlic mixture all over pork. Place

pork,
>> fat side down, in prepared roasting pan. Roast pork 30 minutes. Turn

roast
>> fat side up. Roast until thermometer inserted into center of pork

registe
>> rs 155°F., about 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven; let stand 10
>> minutes.
>>
>> Pour any juices from roasting pan into small saucepan; set over low heat
>> to keep warm. Cut pork crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange

pork
>> slices on platter. Pour pan juices over. Garnish with rosemary sprigs,

if
>> desired.

> I don't think I'd make that if fresh rosemary was not available. It's
> the one herb that isn't even adequate when dried.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> --Bryan

I agree, and I've never made this particular recipe with dried rosemary,
although it was listed in the original recipe as an option.

I don't mind "fresh" dried rosemary used in sauces.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 28, 6:37 am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 28 Oct 2007 07:34:23a, Bobo BonoboŽ meant to say...
>
> >> 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
> >> 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
> >> 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
> >> 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
> >> 1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork loin roast, well trimmed
> >> Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
> >> [snip]

> > I don't think I'd make that if fresh rosemary was not available. It's
> > the one herb that isn't even adequate when dried.

> > --Bryan

> I agree, and I've never made this particular recipe with dried rosemary,
> although it was listed in the original recipe as an option.
>
> I don't mind "fresh" dried rosemary used in sauces.

Absent fresh rosemary, or just for a change, use fennel seeds. Work
over fennel seeds, garlic, coarse salt with a mortar and pestle, then
proceed as given in the recipe. Different and delicious. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue,
> carnitas, and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made
> a pork loin roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season
> it with? Do you add any liquid? What temperature?

Usually out on the Weber, indirect heat at fairly high temps, similar
to roasting a chicken out there. Roast until 145F-150F in the center.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
roast and serve it rare?

I have had it as such in restaurants but haven't gathered
the nerve to do it at home yet.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
>> roast and serve it rare?

>> I have had it as such in restaurants

>You have not. That's crazy.

Phhhttt.

Maybe "loin" is not the right name for the cut they tend
to use, but it's from the rib area.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
> roast and serve it rare?
>
> I have had it as such in restaurants

You have not. That's crazy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 11:48?pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas, and with beef
> roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin roast. How do you like to
> cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you add any liquid? What temperature?
>
> I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been making me sick
> lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.
>
> If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat but I'd like
> something I can serve with gravy.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> kimberly

For any cut of pork all you need to know is Penzeys adobo[period]

Great for chicken too.

Got an adoboed quartered oven stuffer chick going into the oven in 23
minutes timer set because I got three winter squash and some spuds in
already that need a headstart), only sprinkled with a little salt and
a bit of paprika for color.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
> roast and serve it rare?
>
> I have had it as such in restaurants but haven't gathered
> the nerve to do it at home yet.
>
> Steve

Not rare but more medium. Especially tenderloins. Very good that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:09:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
>> roast and serve it rare?
>>
>> I have had it as such in restaurants

>You have not. That's crazy.

Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
>> roast and serve it rare?
>>
>> I have had it as such in restaurants

> You have not. That's crazy.

Why is it crazy? This is not 1950 with garbage fed pork. Pink is OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:22:56 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote
>>
>> Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
>> slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...
>>

>So they don't think Trichinosis is a danger any more?

Nope, they don't. I think you could google for this...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote
>>
>> Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
>> slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...
>>

>So they don't think Trichinosis is a danger any more?

I was just googling myself, and trichinosis is killed off at 137-138
degrees. Hence the newer thoughts on being able to cook pork to a
less well done stage.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

cybercat wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote
>
>>Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
>>slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...
>>

> So they don't think Trichinosis is a danger any more?

It's been almost completely eliminated from commercial
pork in the US. Even if you consider the remote possibility that
you have an infected cut, the instant kill temp is around
144 F. In practice it's safe a few degrees below that.

Here are the US CFR regs on the required cooking temps for
pork. The 160 F figure you frequently hear is about 50 years
out of date.

<http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=9&PART=318&SECTION=10&YEAR=1998&TYPE =TEXT>

Degrees Minimum time
Degrees fahrenheit centigrade
120.................................. 49.0 21 hours.
122.................................. 50.0 9.5 hours.
124.................................. 51.1 4.5 hours.
126.................................. 52.2 2 hours.
128.................................. 53.4 1 hour.
130.................................. 54.5 30 minutes.
132.................................. 55.6 15 minutes.
134.................................. 56.7 6 minutes.
136.................................. 57.8 3 minutes.
138.................................. 58.9 2 minutes.
140.................................. 60.0 1 minute.
142.................................. 61.1 1 minute.
144.................................. 62.2 Instant.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
> slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...

So they don't think Trichinosis is a danger any more?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote

>> Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
>> slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...

>So they don't think Trichinosis is a danger any more?

Depends on the source of the pork.

(And 140 F woudn't kill trichina, so you may as well go all the way
to blood rare.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Pope wrote:

> (And 140 F woudn't kill trichina, so you may as well go all the way
> to blood rare.)

That is incorrect. 140 F would be a safe temperature.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> (And 140 F woudn't kill trichina, so you may as well go all the way
>> to blood rare.)

>That is incorrect. 140 F would be a safe temperature.

Not that I don't believe you, but is there a cite for this?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Pope wrote:

> Reg > wrote:
>

>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>>(And 140 F woudn't kill trichina, so you may as well go all the way
>>>to blood rare.)

>>That is incorrect. 140 F would be a safe temperature.

> Not that I don't believe you, but is there a cite for this?
>
> Steve

Upthread, reposted here for your convenience.

Strictly by these numbers, 3 minutes at 136 F and you're on
home base. It will easily take that long to get from 136 to
140. Note that these are not data from some experiment, they're
commercial regulations so there is also some extra safety
factor built in.

Tastewise, for lean pork cuts (loin/tenderloin), personally I
can live with anything below 150 F, including overshoot and
all that. There has to be some pink left or it's too dry.

----------------------------

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 8:12?pm, Reg > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
> > (And 140 F woudn't kill trichina, so you may as well go all the way
> > to blood rare.)

> That is incorrect. 140 F would be a safe temperature.

Pigshit... 140F is practically raw. Pork needs to be cooked to an
internal temperature of 160F (med), but most folks prefer it cooked to
170F (well). Pink pork tastes awful and has a disgusting texture...
like eating barely cooked bacon.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_cooking_chart.htm

It's really very easy to roast pork well done and still have it
juicy... pork cooks best longer and at lower temperatures... even
bacon cooks best at lower temperatures (barely sizzling) for longer
times.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> I've made plenty of pork shoulder roasts in my day (barbecue, carnitas,
> and with beef roasts for added flavor), but have never made a pork loin
> roast. How do you like to cook yours? What do you season it with? Do you
> add any liquid? What temperature?
>
> I picked up one at a good price, and since beef roasts have been making me
> sick lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl for something different.
>
> If anyone has a good recipe, please share. I'm not much into glazed meat
> but I'd like something I can serve with gravy.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> kimberly

Pork loin, huh? I just smoker 100 pounds for a group of drunken sailors.

It's really easy, and even if you can't smoke them, this would still be
good.

These were 10 # pork loins, not tenderloins. First, we cut them in half so
that they would fit better on the grates. Next, we rubbed with "Billy Bones
Original Recipe BBQ Rub, mixed 50/50 with Turbinado sugar, because I've
found that this crowd likes sweet. YMMV, but any good BBQ rub would work.
Get the temperature to around 400F, add the meat, lower the temp to 350 and
cook 'til the internal temp is 130ish. Since you aren't cooking a large
volume like I did, maybe 135. Remove from pit/oven and rest for 45 to 60
minutes, wrapped in foil, in a dry cooler. Slice, pour the juice from the
foil over the slices. Serve.

See my post "My Weekend" below.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:09:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>>> So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
>>> roast and serve it rare?
>>>
>>> I have had it as such in restaurants

>>You have not. That's crazy.
>>

> Pork is now considered safe to eat at 140 degrees, which leaves it
> slightly pink in the middle. Times have changed...
>
> Christine

Exactly. Pork doesn't have to be dry any more.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Not that I don't believe you, but is there a cite for this?

>Upthread, reposted here for your convenience.

>Here are the US CFR regs on the required cooking temps for
>pork. The 160 F figure you frequently hear is about 50 years
>out of date.

Thanks. The CDC still says 170 F., if you poke into their
website. I can understand them telling consumers something
different from what they tell the industry, but that's like
way different.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 1:40 pm, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:02:00 +0000 (UTC),
>
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
> >So out of curiousity does anybody here cook a pork loin
> >roast and serve it rare?

> Not me.
>
> >I have had it as such in restaurants but haven't gathered
> >the nerve to do it at home yet.

> Undercooked pork doesn't appeal to me.

There are very few cuts I'd cook medium, but good, thick cut chops
(the cut analogous to a beef porterhouse) are nice "undercooked." I
was squeamish at first too.

> sf
> wondering what restaurants do that

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote in message
news
> Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Not that I don't believe you, but is there a cite for this?
>>
>> Steve

> Upthread, reposted here for your convenience.
>
> Strictly by these numbers, 3 minutes at 136 F and you're on
> home base. It will easily take that long to get from 136 to
> 140. Note that these are not data from some experiment, they're
> commercial regulations so there is also some extra safety
> factor built in.
>
> Tastewise, for lean pork cuts (loin/tenderloin), personally I
> can live with anything below 150 F, including overshoot and
> all that. There has to be some pink left or it's too dry.
>
> ----------------------------
>
> Here are the US CFR regs on the required cooking temps for
> pork. The 160 F figure you frequently hear is about 50 years
> out of date.
>
> <http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=9&PART=318&SECTION=10&YEAR=1998&TYPE =TEXT>

Thanks for this link.

The information is also on the FDA's website, but I lost the link and can't
find it tonight.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

>Pigshit... 140F is practically raw. Pork needs to be cooked to an
>internal temperature of 160F (med), but most folks prefer it cooked to
>170F (well). Pink pork tastes awful and has a disgusting texture...
>like eating barely cooked bacon.

You just haven't had the real stuff.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> On Oct 28, 8:12?pm, Reg > wrote:
>
>>Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>>(And 140 F woudn't kill trichina, so you may as well go all the way
>>>to blood rare.)

>>That is incorrect. 140 F would be a safe temperature.

> Pigshit... 140F is practically raw. Pork needs to be cooked to an
> internal temperature of 160F (med), but most folks prefer it cooked to
> 170F (well). Pink pork tastes awful and has a disgusting texture...
> like eating barely cooked bacon.

Poor Sheldoof. He can't make the distinction between
the issue of food safety and that of food preference.

It's all so confusing for him.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 9:19?pm, Reg > wrote:

> Here are the US CFR regs on the required cooking temps for
> pork. The 160 F figure you frequently hear is about 50 years
> out of date.
>
> <http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=9&PART=318&...>
>
> Degrees Minimum time
> Degrees fahrenheit centigrade
> 120.................................. 49.0 21 hours.
> 122.................................. 50.0 9.5 hours.
> 124.................................. 51.1 4.5 hours.
> 126.................................. 52.2 2 hours.

That's not a cooking chart... that's a trichina neutralizing chart.