Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork Roast Results (and questions on type of wood for smoke box)

Well, thanks for everyone who posted. Even though my remote thermometer
isn't working yet, I used the old school "poke in the meat" style.

I started things out at 300f on the smoker.. then I noticed the temp
jump up really high. The wood in the smoker box had started on fire...
bummer.

So I got it around 275 and it didn't ignite. Just smoked. After 4
hours I checked the temp, barley 130 in the center of the roast, so
since I was done smoking I turned up the heat to about 350 for another
45 minutes or so. Caught it right in time as the sweet corn was ready
too!

When all was said and done, it was probably the best pork roast I ever
had. Had some friends over too to help me eat it and they said it was
delicious. Tender, juicy, etc. I think it may have been a ribeye
roast.. it had a good marble and a bone in it.

My question now is how can you smoke at 300 degrees without having the
chips start on fire? Should I be using the bigger chunks instead?

I am using the Walmart LP smoker (great outdoors).
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bradley V. Stone wrote:

> When all was said and done, it was probably the best pork roast I
> ever had. Had some friends over too to help me eat it and they said
> it was delicious. Tender, juicy, etc. I think it may have been a
> ribeye roast.. it had a good marble and a bone in it.

What kind of bone? Rib roast should have rib bones and perhaps a chunk
of backbone. If it's an odd-shaped internal bone, that was probably
sirloin.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
> When all was said and done, it was probably the best pork roast I ever
> had. Had some friends over too to help me eat it and they said it was
> delicious. Tender, juicy, etc. I think it may have been a ribeye roast..
> it had a good marble and a bone in it.

Ribeye has no bone. If the bone was on one side and the bottom, it would be
a loin roast. If the loin and tenderloin are intact, it woujld look like a T
bone. Look at the profile of a pork chop.

> My question now is how can you smoke at 300 degrees without having the
> chips start on fire? Should I be using the bigger chunks instead?
>
> I am using the Walmart LP smoker (great outdoors).

Forget chips, use chunks. Do you have a saw? Scout up some branches, tree
trimmings, hardwood scraps from a woodworker, etc. I toss my cutoffs into a
plastic pail for when I need smoking wood.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, thanks for everyone who posted. Even though my remote thermometer
> isn't working yet, I used the old school "poke in the meat" style.
>
> I started things out at 300f on the smoker.. then I noticed the temp jump
> up really high. The wood in the smoker box had started on fire... bummer.
>
> So I got it around 275 and it didn't ignite. Just smoked. After 4 hours
> I checked the temp, barley 130 in the center of the roast, so since I was
> done smoking I turned up the heat to about 350 for another 45 minutes or
> so. Caught it right in time as the sweet corn was ready too!
>
> When all was said and done, it was probably the best pork roast I ever
> had. Had some friends over too to help me eat it and they said it was
> delicious. Tender, juicy, etc. I think it may have been a ribeye roast..
> it had a good marble and a bone in it.
>
> My question now is how can you smoke at 300 degrees without having the
> chips start on fire? Should I be using the bigger chunks instead?
>
> I am using the Walmart LP smoker (great outdoors).

Do the ole "bean can mod".... Seriously, take an old Bush's bean can,
and use it instead of the box that comes with it. The can will lay
perfectly across the holder that's there for the box, and be just up against
the bottom of the water pan. Then you'll be able to use chunks really well.
I have the same smoker.

Also, go here for more info too, it's a yahoo group specifically about that
smoker.