good jello/fruit combos?

Old 20-01-2004, 03:04 AM
JLove98905
Usenet poster

Default good jello/fruit combos?

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
What combos work the best in your hands?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Old 20-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Mark Thorson
Usenet poster

JLove98905 wrote:

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
What combos work the best in your hands?

I can tell you one combo that _doesn't_ work:
fresh pineapple and any flavor of Jello.

Canned pineapple works just fine, but fresh
is a disaster. Care to guess why?

Old 20-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Puester
Usenet poster

JLove98905 wrote:

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
What combos work the best in your hands?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream. (Canned
pineapple because fresh contains an enzyme which interferes
with jelling.)

gloria p
Old 20-01-2004, 03:43 AM
patti
Usenet poster

canned sliced or chopped pears with pecans, cream cheese and lime jello

or

mandarin oranges with orange jello made with ginger ale instead of cold
water

Old 20-01-2004, 03:48 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

Mark Thorson wrote in
:

JLove98905 wrote:

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

I can tell you one combo that _doesn't_ work:
fresh pineapple and any flavor of Jello.

Canned pineapple works just fine, but fresh
is a disaster. Care to guess why?

Sure, enzymes. The same reason fresh papaya won't work. The enzymes
prevent jelling.

Wayne
Old 20-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Thalocean2
Usenet poster

My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.

-Barb

My mom makes a similar "aspec". She boils tomato juice with herbs such at
clove and bay leave, adds geltatin and pours this mixture over shredded
carrots, chopped celery and shrimp. She makes it in a bundt type pan and it's
always served with a dollop of mayonaise too.

Laura B.
Old 20-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Gina *
Usenet poster

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other

stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?
-Jen

..
..
1): I like lime jello with canned grapefruit. One of my sisters like
lime jello with crushed pineapple.
2): Lemon jello made with strewed tomatoes, black olives, V-8,
dehygrated onion bits, garlic granules, tabasco makes a nice salad-y
side.

~~~Gina~~~