JLove98905

Default good jello/fruit combos?

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
What combos work the best in your hands?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Mark Thorson

JLove98905 wrote:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
> What combos work the best in your hands?

I can tell you one combo that _doesn't_ work:
fresh pineapple and any flavor of Jello.

Canned pineapple works just fine, but fresh
is a disaster. Care to guess why?

Puester

JLove98905 wrote:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
> What combos work the best in your hands?
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream. (Canned
pineapple because fresh contains an enzyme which interferes
with jelling.)

gloria p
patti

canned sliced or chopped pears with pecans, cream cheese and lime jello

or

mandarin oranges with orange jello made with ginger ale instead of cold
water

Wayne Boatwright

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> JLove98905 wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
>> stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

> I can tell you one combo that _doesn't_ work:
> fresh pineapple and any flavor of Jello.
>
> Canned pineapple works just fine, but fresh
> is a disaster. Care to guess why?

Sure, enzymes. The same reason fresh papaya won't work. The enzymes
prevent jelling.

Wayne
Thalocean2

>My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
>would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
>carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
>and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.
>

>-Barb

My mom makes a similar "aspec". She boils tomato juice with herbs such at
clove and bay leave, adds geltatin and pours this mixture over shredded
carrots, chopped celery and shrimp. She makes it in a bundt type pan and it's
always served with a dollop of mayonaise too.

Laura B.
Gina *

>>I'm looking for some good combos for jello >>with fruit (or other

stuff) in it. What combos >>work the best in your hands?
>>-Jen

..
..
1): I like lime jello with canned grapefruit. One of my sisters like
lime jello with crushed pineapple.
2): Lemon jello made with strewed tomatoes, black olives, V-8,
dehygrated onion bits, garlic granules, tabasco makes a nice salad-y
side.

~~~Gina~~~

JLove98905

>A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
>walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream.

Gloria,
Tell me more about this sour cream layer.....?
-Jen

Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Snowfeet1

Orange jello made with melted orange sherbet and mandarin oranges.
Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
> would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
> carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
> and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.
>
> Red Jell-O with banana slices folded in.

Lime Jello with grapefruit sections - refreshing on a hot summer's day!

--
Best
Greg

William Prien

My Mother used to make a dessert combining strawberry Jello, fruit
cocktail and whipped cream. I make it now and use Cool-Whip, and vary
the Jello flavors. Lime or Cherry works well too. Very refreshing in
the Summer!

William

JLove98905 > wrote:
>>A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
>>walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream.

> Gloria,
> Tell me more about this sour cream layer.....?
> -Jen

> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Actually, Steven Wright is wrong, but I don't want to go
into why.

As for jello and fruit, my favorite is diced canned peaches
in cherry jello. Yummy!

Sandy n ne

my mother made orange jello with grated carrots, and pinapple tidbits. to this
day thats the only way I like jello.

Sandra