Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weird dinner combos, redux

The teenager (my new kid, oy. Never thought I'd be having kids at my
advanced age) has always been an adventurous eater (she and I shared
sushi and pickled beets, among other things, when she was little), and
she loves mixing her foods together.

Tonight, we had sandwiches for dinner: Turkey breast, tomatoes, mayo, on
ciabatta. With slices of fresh pineapple on the side.

Turns out a turkey-tomato-pineapple sandwich is kinda yummy. Who knew.

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> The teenager (my new kid, oy. Never thought I'd be having kids at my
> advanced age) has always been an adventurous eater (she and I shared
> sushi and pickled beets, among other things, when she was little), and
> she loves mixing her foods together.
>
> Tonight, we had sandwiches for dinner: Turkey breast, tomatoes, mayo,
> on ciabatta. With slices of fresh pineapple on the side.
>
> Turns out a turkey-tomato-pineapple sandwich is kinda yummy. Who knew.
>
> Serene

Holding hand up high. I did, I did! I put pineapple on a BLT sometimes,
too.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in
:

> The teenager (my new kid, oy. Never thought I'd be having kids at my
> advanced age) has always been an adventurous eater (she and I shared
> sushi and pickled beets, among other things, when she was little), and
> she loves mixing her foods together.
>
> Tonight, we had sandwiches for dinner: Turkey breast, tomatoes, mayo,
> on ciabatta. With slices of fresh pineapple on the side.
>
> Turns out a turkey-tomato-pineapple sandwich is kinda yummy. Who knew.
>
> Serene

I will confess to the occasional peanut butter & pickle sandwich.

I was taught this black art around the age of say 12-13 by a schoomate.
This was a popular item in his house.

It's prepared like a grilled cheese sandwich. When the buttered bread is
properly browned the peanut butter becomes wonderfully "oozy" and soft.
The taste is quite a suprise as some magic happens and 2 things you'd
never consider would work together really do.

Thinking about it now I think I'll have one this evening since it's bee
a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:36:45 +0000, Chile Fiend
> wrote:

>I will confess to the occasional peanut butter & pickle sandwich.
>
>I was taught this black art around the age of say 12-13 by a schoomate.
>This was a popular item in his house.
>
>It's prepared like a grilled cheese sandwich. When the buttered bread is
>properly browned the peanut butter becomes wonderfully "oozy" and soft.
>The taste is quite a suprise as some magic happens and 2 things you'd
>never consider would work together really do.
>
>Thinking about it now I think I'll have one this evening since it's bee
>a while.

I've never grilled a peanut butter sandwich... that's the weird part.
LOL!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in news
> I've never grilled a peanut butter sandwich... that's the weird part.
> LOL!

A Grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich...the food of gods or at least
the king.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> The teenager (my new kid, oy. Never thought I'd be having kids at my
>> advanced age) has always been an adventurous eater (she and I shared
>> sushi and pickled beets, among other things, when she was little), and
>> she loves mixing her foods together.
>>
>> Tonight, we had sandwiches for dinner: Turkey breast, tomatoes, mayo,
>> on ciabatta. With slices of fresh pineapple on the side.
>>
>> Turns out a turkey-tomato-pineapple sandwich is kinda yummy. Who knew.
>>
>> Serene

> Holding hand up high. I did, I did! I put pineapple on a BLT sometimes,
> too.

We'll have to try that. :-) Fresh pineapple has been really cheap here
this past few weeks, and very sweet. She loves fresh pineapple but
doesn't like canned, so I've been buying about one a week.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chile Fiend wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote in
> :
>
>> The teenager (my new kid, oy. Never thought I'd be having kids at my
>> advanced age) has always been an adventurous eater (she and I shared
>> sushi and pickled beets, among other things, when she was little), and
>> she loves mixing her foods together.
>>
>> Tonight, we had sandwiches for dinner: Turkey breast, tomatoes, mayo,
>> on ciabatta. With slices of fresh pineapple on the side.
>>
>> Turns out a turkey-tomato-pineapple sandwich is kinda yummy. Who knew.
>>
>> Serene

> I will confess to the occasional peanut butter & pickle sandwich.

I love peanut butter and pickles. With or without mayo and/or onions.

> I was taught this black art around the age of say 12-13 by a schoomate.
> This was a popular item in his house.
>
> It's prepared like a grilled cheese sandwich. When the buttered bread is
> properly browned the peanut butter becomes wonderfully "oozy" and soft.
> The taste is quite a suprise as some magic happens and 2 things you'd
> never consider would work together really do.

I've never fried them, though. I'll have to try that.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>We'll have to try that. :-) Fresh pineapple has been really cheap here
>this past few weeks, and very sweet. She loves fresh pineapple but
>doesn't like canned, so I've been buying about one a week.

I noticed the pineapples are cheap and nice and yellow-looking
from the outside (always a good sign).

I suspect it's a benefit of the fuel crisis; while it's not
too expensive for a boat full of pineapples to travel from
Hawaii to California, shipping them elsewhere in the U.S.
costs too much. So they are being dumped into the markets
nearest the California ports. That's us.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I confess to loving a sandwich spread my mother made: peanut butter,
velveeta cheese and enough sweet pickle relish & juice to be
spreadable at room temperature, Eat it spread on disgusting white
wonder bread. Store in refrigerator,

Lynn in Fargo
Going to kitchen cause I've got some in the fridge

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:6dken2F32430U6
@mid.individual.net:

> Chile Fiend wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> The teenager (my new kid, oy. Never thought I'd be having kids at my
>>> advanced age) has always been an adventurous eater (she and I shared
>>> sushi and pickled beets, among other things, when she was little),

and
>>> she loves mixing her foods together.
>>>
>>> Tonight, we had sandwiches for dinner: Turkey breast, tomatoes, mayo,
>>> on ciabatta. With slices of fresh pineapple on the side.
>>>
>>> Turns out a turkey-tomato-pineapple sandwich is kinda yummy. Who

knew.

>>> Serene

>> I will confess to the occasional peanut butter & pickle sandwich.

> I love peanut butter and pickles. With or without mayo and/or onions.
>
>> I was taught this black art around the age of say 12-13 by a

schoomate.
>> This was a popular item in his house.
>>
>> It's prepared like a grilled cheese sandwich. When the buttered bread

is
>> properly browned the peanut butter becomes wonderfully "oozy" and

soft.
>> The taste is quite a suprise as some magic happens and 2 things you'd
>> never consider would work together really do.

> I've never fried them, though. I'll have to try that.
>
> Serene

WHEW!!!!! So I'm not alone on this one.

Given the world population I knew there had to be at least a few others
who enjoyed this combo.

I agree with the banna version too, thin slices of apples are great too.
Sometimes I even fry them in a little butter before putting them on the
sandwich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:36:45 +0000, Chile Fiend
> > wrote:
>
> >I will confess to the occasional peanut butter & pickle sandwich.
> >
> >I was taught this black art around the age of say 12-13 by a schoomate.
> >This was a popular item in his house.
> >
> >It's prepared like a grilled cheese sandwich. When the buttered bread is
> >properly browned the peanut butter becomes wonderfully "oozy" and soft.
> >The taste is quite a suprise as some magic happens and 2 things you'd
> >never consider would work together really do.
> >
> >Thinking about it now I think I'll have one this evening since it's bee
> >a while.

> I've never grilled a peanut butter sandwich... that's the weird part.
> LOL!
>
> --

The department store restaurant I worked in as a teenager offered
grilled peanut butter and ... open-faced sandwiches. Peanut butter and
bacon wasn't bad but peanut butter and cheese definitely didn't work for
me but people ordered (and ate) them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:29:51 +0000, Chile Fiend
> wrote:

>I agree with the banna version too, thin slices of apples are great too.
>Sometimes I even fry them in a little butter before putting them on the
>sandwich.

Ah, so you're a peanut butter sandwich connoisseur, huh?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:29:51 +0000, Chile Fiend
> > wrote:
>
>>I agree with the banna version too, thin slices of apples are great too.
>>Sometimes I even fry them in a little butter before putting them on the
>>sandwich.

> Ah, so you're a peanut butter sandwich connoisseur, huh?

Not sure I'm at that level yet.

Peanut butter is like chocolate in some ways. When you really crave some,
there is no substitute. I do however keep a jar of almond butter around
too. Once I switched to types with little added sugars or other ingredients
there was no going back to the traditional types.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:00:31 +0000, Chile Fiend
> wrote:

>Not sure I'm at that level yet.
>
>Peanut butter is like chocolate in some ways. When you really crave some,
>there is no substitute.

I can't say I crave peanut butter, but it's one of those things that I
always have in the house. When I don't feel like eating a real
breakfast, but I know I have to fuel up - I'll slap some peanut butter
and jam on an english muffin. I'm good to go and I know I won't get
hungry at the wrong time.

Mae West