Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jello and canned fruit

I have had a few difficulties with Jello (store brand, actually) firming
up; sometimes it partly remains liquid. If I don't have an extra banana
or two I usually dump a can of fruit minus most of the syrup in it -
sliced peaches is a favorite. I think it matters what kind of syrup the
fruit is in and whether sugar or sugar-free Jello is used, but I've not
got it entirely figured out.

Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
Jello or am I the only one with this problem?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message

> Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
> Jello or am I the only one with this problem?
>
> TIA

I think you are the only one. IIRC, fresh pineapple is a problem with Jello
but every other fruit has worked for me. I like peaches, often use fruit
cocktail, and both with bananas. After it sets up just a bit, if you stir
it, the fruit will be suspended, rather than sink or float. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 08:46:56a, Ken Knecht meant to say...

> I have had a few difficulties with Jello (store brand, actually) firming
> up; sometimes it partly remains liquid. If I don't have an extra banana
> or two I usually dump a can of fruit minus most of the syrup in it -
> sliced peaches is a favorite. I think it matters what kind of syrup the
> fruit is in and whether sugar or sugar-free Jello is used, but I've not
> got it entirely figured out.
>
> Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
> Jello or am I the only one with this problem?
>
> TIA

You liquid measurements need to be precise and the fruit well-drained.
Even a tablespoon or two of additional liquid can make a difference. If
you're including part of the syrup, it also needs to be part of the
measured liquid. Canned (obviously cooked) fruit in syrup or juice should
pose no problem. For the standard small size of Jello, bring exactly 1 cup
of water to a boil and dissolve the dry gelatin mix in it, stirring
thoroughly to insure it has dissolve completely. Then add exactly 1 cup of
cold water (including any syrup or juice from the fruit) and mix
thoroughly. Refrigerate until mixture is syrupy in consistency. Fold in
the *well-drained* fruit, then refrigerate until firm. If you are planning
on using a mold which you will turn out on a plate, reduce the total liquid
by 1/4 cup. It shouldn't make any difference whether it is sugar or sugar-
free Jello.

Although you clearly mentioned canned fruit, it should be noted that
certain raw fruits like pineapple and papaya contain an enzyme which will
prevent setting. They must be cooked before using.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Brought to you by the anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:46:56 +0000, Ken Knecht wrote:

> I have had a few difficulties with Jello (store brand, actually) firming
> up; sometimes it partly remains liquid. If I don't have an extra banana
> or two I usually dump a can of fruit minus most of the syrup in it -
> sliced peaches is a favorite. I think it matters what kind of syrup the
> fruit is in and whether sugar or sugar-free Jello is used, but I've not
> got it entirely figured out.
>
> Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
> Jello or am I the only one with this problem?
>
> TIA

Jello is not expensive. Skip the store brand if it is not pleasing you.
Maybe too much liquid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> I have had a few difficulties with Jello (store brand, actually) firming
> up; sometimes it partly remains liquid. If I don't have an extra banana
> or two I usually dump a can of fruit minus most of the syrup in it -
> sliced peaches is a favorite. I think it matters what kind of syrup the
> fruit is in and whether sugar or sugar-free Jello is used, but I've not
> got it entirely figured out.
>
> Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
> Jello or am I the only one with this problem?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

===========
Use Jello brand.
Thoroughly drain the fruit through a sieve and then onto paper towels. I
use two boxes of Jello doubling the recipe and then cutting back on one cup
of water, so I then use three cups of water instead of four. I do not add
the fruit until the Jello mixture starts to thicken; you have to watch it
carefully, or it will get too thick and then you will have to microwave it
and start over. It has to be syrupy so the fruit won't all go to the
bottom. If I use bananas, I dip them in lemon juice first so they won't
turn brown so fast.
You could be using too much fruit, or not draining it properly. Or, you
could be adding too much water.
--------------

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I have had a few difficulties with Jello (store brand, actually) firming
> up; sometimes it partly remains liquid. If I don't have an extra banana
> or two I usually dump a can of fruit minus most of the syrup in it -
> sliced peaches is a favorite. I think it matters what kind of syrup the
> fruit is in and whether sugar or sugar-free Jello is used, but I've not
> got it entirely figured out.
>
> Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
> Jello or am I the only one with this problem?

For starters the "most of the juice" that you discard should be all of the
juice. There is a measured amount of gelatine in the Jell-O mix that is
enough to mix with the specified amount of boiling and cold water
specified. Adding more liquid is obviously going to reduce the amount of
gelatine needed to make it set, so canned fruit should always be well
drained.

BTW.... if using raw fruit, do not use pineapple. It contains an enzyme that
will prevent gelatine from setting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:46:56 GMT, Ken Knecht >
wrote:

>I have had a few difficulties with Jello (store brand, actually) firming
>up; sometimes it partly remains liquid. If I don't have an extra banana
>or two I usually dump a can of fruit minus most of the syrup in it -
>sliced peaches is a favorite. I think it matters what kind of syrup the
>fruit is in and whether sugar or sugar-free Jello is used, but I've not
>got it entirely figured out.
>
>Anyone have any rule of thumb for successfully adding canned fruit to
>Jello or am I the only one with this problem?

Wait until the jello had gelled sufficiently that it looks like my
butt (all dimpled and wiggly, but not solid). Then stir in the
*completely* drained fruit. When you introduce extra liquid, the
gelatin won't be able to do its job as well.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news:1E%Fg.11580$kO3.9292
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

> IIRC, fresh pineapple is a problem with Jello

And fresh Papya, Mango, and a few other fruit that have a certian enzyme
whihc I forget the name of. It totally disolves collagen, which is what
Jello is made from.

Canned fruit and coconut? Univeros General Cooking 7 12-09-2008 08:35 PM
Canned fruit Univeros General Cooking 0 10-09-2008 05:35 AM
Canned Apples and Canned Peaches [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-10-2006 11:27 PM
Fruited Fruit Juice Jello Margee Lee Recipes (moderated) 0 21-12-2004 07:12 AM
good jello/fruit combos? JLove98905 General Cooking 21 23-01-2004 05:18 AM