What does turtle taste like?

Old 14-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Kenneth Leja
Usenet poster

Default What does turtle taste like?

And how do you eat it?
Old 14-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Katra
Usenet poster

Kenneth Leja wrote:

And how do you eat it?

Tastes like chicken of course...

and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)

Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
They are supposed to be some of the best eating.

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old 14-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Bob Pastorio
Usenet poster

Kenneth Leja wrote:

And how do you eat it?

Country folks hereabouts in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia eat
local snapping turtles and claim they have 7 different meats.

Different parts of the critter, so they claim, have different flavors
and chewing characteristics. In my experience, I've seen three, the
feet, the upper legs and neck, and the body meat. Different like pork
has different kinds of meat in different parts.

The legs taste like chicken. The rest is, well, different.

Pastorio

Old 14-11-2003, 01:30 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Katra wrote:

Kenneth Leja wrote:

And how do you eat it?

Tastes like chicken of course...

and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)

Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
They are supposed to be some of the best eating.

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

I had some many years ago, around the mid-50's. What I had is now a protected
species (hawksbill turtle, aka carey). Does not taste like chicken at all,
more like a gamy pork.

It is supposed to be a restorative of male potency but I was in my teens then
and could not tell the difference. At that age I needed just the opposite. ;-)
Old 14-11-2003, 01:49 PM
TOM KAN PA
Usenet poster

It tastes just........not like chicken.

And how do you eat it?
____Reply Separator_____
Find a restaurant that serves turtle soup. Tell the wait person, "Give me a
bowl of turtle soup and make it snappy!!"

Old 14-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"Kenneth Leja" wrote in message
om...
And how do you eat it?

1. Elephant
2. With a knife and fork or a soup spoon.

Dimitri

Old 14-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

wrote:

Katra wrote:

Kenneth Leja wrote:

And how do you eat it?

Tastes like chicken of course...

and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)

Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
They are supposed to be some of the best eating.

K.

I had some many years ago, around the mid-50's. What I had is now a protected
species (hawksbill turtle, aka carey). Does not taste like chicken at all,
more like a gamy pork.

I was kidding dear. ;-)
I agree that it tastes a lot like pork, but with ever so slightly
fishy overtones.

The one that I ate was a large painted turtle. I found it alongside
the road and it had been hit by a car and was still very much alive,
unfortunately. :-( It was greviously injured with multiple breaks to the
shell and it's guts were hanging out one of the shell splits.

While I HAVE rescued and repaired some turtles (successfully I might
add!) that were hit by cars and had minor shell breakage, I judged this
one to be a candidate for euthanasia....

So, not being one to waste, I used it as an opportunity to try fresh
turtle. It was ok but I was not impressed. I'd never go out of my way
to kill another turtle just for the meat.

It is supposed to be a restorative of male potency but I was in my teens then
and could not tell the difference. At that age I needed just the opposite. ;-)

grins I've read about that in the body building magazines.... ;-)

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^
^,,^

Old 14-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

Katra wrote:

I actually have to agree with this. :-)
That is why I only ate a turtle that _had_ to be killed.
Before that, even tho' I was curious about trying the meat,
I could just never bring myself to kill a healthy turtle.
I run into them in the river all the time when I go snorkeling.

The only time I ever killed a turtle was when I was staying on a friend's farm and we drained the pond that was our
swimming hole. We found a snapper in there that was more than two feet across, and he was nasty.

It's tempting tho' sometimes when you are fishing and they
keep taking your bait! G

It's even more frustrating when they eat your catch. We once left some fish on a stringer in the water while we
tended to something else for a while. We came back about an hour later and found a string of fish bones.

Old 14-11-2003, 07:30 PM
K3
Usenet poster

ROFLMAO -- it was just two days ago that one of wife's co-worker's gave her
a can of "Snapper Soup"... for me (one who'll eat just 'bout anything) to
eat... I ate it... tasted like brown gravy with tofu.. .

LOL -- she's got the perfect "Gag" gift coming to her soon (coon) ...
"Creamed Possum w/ Sweet Potatoes garnished in Coon Fat
Gravy"...(http://www.johnsonsmith.com/website/...tail.asp?UID=2
003111413190716&item_no=25232&keyword=possum&cat_k eyword=&search_page_no=1)

Hey... I ate "Franklin 'da Turtle"... you can eat "Patty 'da Posssum"...

LOL!!!

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Old 14-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Elena Nakashima
Usenet poster

Default How do you kill a turtle?

Bob Pastorio wrote in message ...
Kenneth Leja wrote:

And how do you eat it?

Country folks hereabouts in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia eat
local snapping turtles and claim they have 7 different meats.

Different parts of the critter, so they claim, have different flavors
and chewing characteristics. In my experience, I've seen three, the
feet, the upper legs and neck, and the body meat. Different like pork
has different kinds of meat in different parts.

The legs taste like chicken. The rest is, well, different.

Pastorio

I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
animals. But for those who hunt turtles, how do they kill them?
Indeed, why kill an animal that nature went to such trouble to
protect. If God gave turtles a hard shell, it must be for a good
reason.
Old 14-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

Dave Smith wrote:

Katra wrote:

I actually have to agree with this. :-)
That is why I only ate a turtle that _had_ to be killed.
Before that, even tho' I was curious about trying the meat,
I could just never bring myself to kill a healthy turtle.
I run into them in the river all the time when I go snorkeling.

The only time I ever killed a turtle was when I was staying on a friend's farm and we drained the pond that was our
swimming hole. We found a snapper in there that was more than two feet across, and he was nasty.

One that size can be pretty dangerous too! Their necks are nearly as
long as their shells, so holding them by the backside is no guarantee.
They can easily take off a finger or two. :-P

So, was he tasty?

It's tempting tho' sometimes when you are fishing and they
keep taking your bait! G

It's even more frustrating when they eat your catch. We once left some fish on a stringer in the water while we
tended to something else for a while. We came back about an hour later and found a string of fish bones.

Yah. They are death on trot lines too! Trot lines are legal in Texas and
quite effective for catfish in Canyon lake. :-)

LOOoooove big catfish! Yum!

K.

Old 14-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

Kenneth Leja wrote:

And how do you eat it?

Country folks hereabouts in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia eat
local snapping turtles and claim they have 7 different meats.

Different parts of the critter, so they claim, have different flavors
and chewing characteristics. In my experience, I've seen three, the
feet, the upper legs and neck, and the body meat. Different like pork
has different kinds of meat in different parts.

The legs taste like chicken. The rest is, well, different.

Pastorio

I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
animals. But for those who hunt turtles, how do they kill them?
Indeed, why kill an animal that nature went to such trouble to
protect. If God gave turtles a hard shell, it must be for a good
reason.

My Doubleday cookbook had complete instructions on how to process a live turtle...

Usually you are dealing with a snapper. You place a stick in front of
their face and they will snap and grab onto it, and NOT let go usually.

You can then stretch out their neck and cut off their head with a pair
of poultry shears.

Never tried it, but that's what the book said...

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

grassy taste in angus beef Ken Stauffer General Cooking 14 07-02-2012 11:30 PM
Croissants Steph G.B Baking 23 11-06-2004 12:42 AM
is acorn edible? Right Across Left Hook Combo General Cooking 17 31-12-2003 07:01 AM
why does grated cheese taste better? ii2o General Cooking 16 26-10-2003 12:16 PM
MSG Use Vince Poroke General Cooking 20 08-10-2003 06:39 PM