Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default TURTLE BROWNIES

TURTLE BROWNIES

Bag of caramels
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup butter
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 cup pecans
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt the caramels and the first portion of evaporated milk.
Combine the cake mix powder, butter, milk (2nd portion). Press
1/2 this mixture into an ungreased 9X13 baking dish. Bake at
350 F for 6 minutes. (will not be completely cooked). Remove
from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, and pecans (saving
a few of each). Spoon on the remaining 1/2 of the cake mixture.
Top with the saved chocolate chips and pecans. Return to oven.
Bake an additional 15-18 min. Cool for 3-4 hrs. (from MickeyJ)

~~~~

TCM

I made this recipe and they are soooooooo good and utterly decadent. I
can see the wisdom of lining the pan with foil. They're sticky and you
need something to lift them from the pan.
Thank goodness for microwaves and dishwashers as it would have required
a double boiler to melt all the stuff that needs melting and probably
use every pan in the house and there are very sticky bowls to contend with..
I used pecans. Spreading the top layer of chocolate batter was easier
with my long metal spatula than with a rubber one.
Anyway, this is delightful and probably a once-a-year only dessert.
Here is a link to turtle brownies using a cake mix. I haven't tried it.
http://www.geocities.com/chocolate_p...urtlebars.html
Thanks for a nice recipe.
Tonya

Duckie ® wrote:
> Turtle Brownies
>
> Recipe By : Family Circle
> Categories : Brownies Cookies

> 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
> 3/4 cup butter or margarine
> 2 cups sugar
> 4 eggs
> 1 cup flour
> 14 ounces caramels
> 1/3 cup heavy cream
> 2 cups pecans or walnuts -- divided
> 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips -- optional
>
> Oven to 350 degrees. Grease foil-lined 13x0" baking pan. Microwave
> chocolate
> squares and butter in microwavable bowl on high until butter is
> melted. Stir
> until chocolate is completely melted. Stir sugar into chocolate until
> well
> blended. Mix in eggs. Stir in flour. Spread 1/2 of batter in prepared
> pan.
> Bake 25 min. or until batter is firm to the touch. Meanwhile,
> microwave
> caramels and cream in microwavable bowl on high 3 min. or until
> caramels
> begin to melt. Whisk until smooth. Stir in 1 cup nuts. Gently spread
> caramel
> mixture over brownie batter in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if
> desired. Pour remaining unbaked brownie batter evenly over caramel
> mixture;
> sprinkle with remaining nuts. (Some caramel mixture may leak through.)
> Bake 30 min. Cool in pan. run knife around edge of pan to loosen
> brownies
> from sides. Lift from pan using foil as handles. Cut into bars.

> http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=duckiewoman

TCM