Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default How do you kill a turtle?

On 14 Nov 2003 22:20:18 -0800, (Elena
Nakashima) wrote:

>Dave Smith > wrote in message >...
>> Elena Nakashima wrote:
>>
>> > I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
>> > animals

>> My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful is the last word that
>> I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty creatures. The only one I
>> ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.

>I have. I used to have a small one as a pet. Most turtles are
>beautiful but not the snapping turtle. Still, it's a wonder of nature,
>fearsome looking, 'proud', nature's Sherman tank, an armoured warrior.
>Magnificent in its beastliness.

Magnificent it is. One reason it is so aggressive, I think, is that it
really isn't protected all that much. Its fleshy parts are so big
outside that it can't really retract them.

They float in ponds with just the little pointy tip of the nose
showing. You can't tell how big they are.

When I was about 12 (in the 1940s) I borrowed a net on a long pole and
reached under a nose. What I got was a modest size, about 15 inch
carapace, but a demon to hold onto.

You have to hold them far enough aft so they can't bite your hand, and
they have very long necks. But, if you hold them that far back, the
hind legs can keep clawing at your hands. I don't thik I could have
held one much bigger (they do get much bigger.)

I got it into a saddlebag on my bicycle and took it home. I tried to
build a pen for it by the kitchen stoop out of rocks. My uncle got a
leech off its shell with carbon tetrachloride.

WIthin a day it got loose, and scared the daylights out of the lady
next door, who came on it in her garden. I took it back to the pond it
came from.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood

In rec.food.cooking, Elena Nakashima > wrote:

> If God gave turtles a hard shell, it must be for a good
> reason.

Maybe it is for the same reason he gave us rocks?

Just a guess.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
sf

Default What does turtle taste like?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:19:32 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:

> > I've eaten sea turtle, quite common in Belize. If one didn't know they'd be
> > hard pressed to discern a sea turtle stew from one made with beef chuck.
> >
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````

> Only ignorant morons consume endangered species...

The turtles he ate were farm raised and probably a crossbred
species.

Katra

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:19:32 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>

> > PENMART01 wrote:

> > > I've eaten sea turtle, quite common in Belize. If one didn't know they'd be
> > > hard pressed to discern a sea turtle stew from one made with beef chuck.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > > ````````````

> > Only ignorant morons consume endangered species...

> The turtles he ate were farm raised and probably a crossbred
> species.

They are farming sea turtles? Ok, so I learned something today. :-)
Is there any more information on it?

Thanks!
K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
WardNA

>Many species of turtle are endangered world-wide. I don't advocate eating
>them.

I was served an excellent turtle stew, made of a sea turtle of which there was
at that time a maximum allowable take, at a small restaurant in Oaxaca. It was
excellent, but enough like veal that I don't see any reason not just to be
content with veal.

>Nothing more awesome than encountering a turtle in the wild.

I admit I've never done this. But, still, I think my standard of awesomeness
may be higher than the one indicated here.

For 12 years, I've lived quietly with a red-eared slider, who divides his time
between paddling in 15 gallons of water and basking under a full-spectrum
40-watt light bulb. I've had better and worse companions. These guys live
about 25 years; he was at least 5 years old when I got him, and this one's
evidently committed to getting his share, so we could still have another 8
before he checks out, if someone doesn't eat him first.

Neil

sf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:23:22 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:19:32 -0600, Katra
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Only ignorant morons consume endangered species...

> > The turtles he ate were farm raised and probably a crossbred
> > species.

> They are farming sea turtles? Ok, so I learned something today. :-)
> Is there any more information on it?

Actually, I tried to find you evidence via the web, but the
farm we visited only talks about their release program.

When we visited it, we were shown tanks of crossbred turtles
that they said were for the commercial market.
Unfortunately, they don't talk about it on their web
pages... or at least the ones I looked at.

I guess eating sea turtle is "so" not PC, they don't dare
mention it (even if they are farm raised - like venison).

Katra

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:23:22 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:19:32 -0600, Katra

> > > The turtles he ate were farm raised and probably a crossbred
> > > species.

> > They are farming sea turtles? Ok, so I learned something today. :-)
> > Is there any more information on it?
> >

> Actually, I tried to find you evidence via the web, but the
> farm we visited only talks about their release program.
>
> When we visited it, we were shown tanks of crossbred turtles
> that they said were for the commercial market.
> Unfortunately, they don't talk about it on their web
> pages... or at least the ones I looked at.
>
> I guess eating sea turtle is "so" not PC, they don't dare
> mention it (even if they are farm raised - like venison).

Well, it's a start... <G>

I did my own google search also, and all I could find was turtle farming
for release, not for sale.

I'm a big believer in aqua culture. Salmon, Sturgeon, etc.
Anytime we can start "farming" a luxury item and take the pressure off
the wild populations, the better! :-)

I'm waiting for abalone farming to really take off so I can enjoy that
wonderful mollusk again!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...balone+farming

I still draw the line tho' at consuming cetaceans. I feel that they are
sentient and eating them is tantamount to cannibalism.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
sf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:22:22 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I tried to find you evidence via the web, but the
> > farm we visited only talks about their release program.
> >
> > When we visited it, we were shown tanks of crossbred turtles
> > that they said were for the commercial market.
> > Unfortunately, they don't talk about it on their web
> > pages... or at least the ones I looked at.
> >
> > I guess eating sea turtle is "so" not PC, they don't dare
> > mention it (even if they are farm raised - like venison).
> >

> Well, it's a start... <G>
>
> I did my own google search also, and all I could find was turtle farming
> for release, not for sale.
>
> I'm a big believer in aqua culture. Salmon, Sturgeon, etc.
> Anytime we can start "farming" a luxury item and take the pressure off
> the wild populations, the better! :-)
>
> I'm waiting for abalone farming to really take off so I can enjoy that
> wonderful mollusk again!
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...abalone+farmin

They grow slowly.... but if they can farm sturgeon, why not?
My wallet eagerly awaits the time I can easily afford
abolone once again.

> I still draw the line tho' at consuming cetaceans. I feel that they are
> sentient and eating them is tantamount to cannibalism.

I can't even begin to imagine knowingly eating one....

blake murphy

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:14:14 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:22:22 -0600, Katra
> wrote:
>
>> I still draw the line tho' at consuming cetaceans. I feel that they are
>> sentient and eating them is tantamount to cannibalism.
>>

>I can't even begin to imagine knowingly eating one....

i think i would insist on dinnder and a show, at least, first...

your pal,
blake
Greg Zywicki

Katra > wrote in message >...
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > They eat cute little baby ducks, you know...
> >
> > Bob

> And baby swans in spring lake.....

If they take goslings too, I have an idea for a service to offer to
municipal governments and golf courses looking to reduce the Canadian
Goose population.

Greg Zywicki

"Gamera pest removal. 'because Godzilla is busy right now.'"
Katra

Greg Zywicki wrote:

> Katra > wrote in message >...
> > zxcvbob wrote:
> > > They eat cute little baby ducks, you know...
> > >
> > > Bob

> > And baby swans in spring lake.....
> >

> If they take goslings too, I have an idea for a service to offer to
> municipal governments and golf courses looking to reduce the Canadian
> Goose population.
>
> Greg Zywicki
>
> "Gamera pest removal. 'because Godzilla is busy right now.'"

The big snappers are HUGE and could probably take a Canadian gosling in
one snap. ;-P They do resemble godzilla! <G>

Hey, let the hunters take care of the geese! I've heard it's pretty tasty.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Scott Palmer

"Katra" > wrote in message

> Greg Zywicki wrote:
> >
> > Katra > wrote in message

> > > And baby swans in spring lake.....
> > >

> > If they take goslings too, I have an idea for a service to offer to
> > municipal governments and golf courses looking to reduce the Canadian
> > Goose population.
> >
> > Greg Zywicki
> >
> > "Gamera pest removal. 'because Godzilla is busy right now.'"

> The big snappers are HUGE and could probably take a Canadian gosling in
> one snap. ;-P They do resemble godzilla! <G>
>
> Hey, let the hunters take care of the geese! I've heard it's pretty tasty.
>
> K.
>
> --
> >^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

> "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
> all owned by cats" -- Asimov
>
> Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Back home my grandfather used to take my brother and me to one of the ponds
behind his house where we would learn to shoot with a 22 rifle by shooting
turtle heads when they popped out of the water. You can't kill too many at
a time, though or it'll make a mess of your pond(too many bodies for nature
to deal with).
Other than that I can't think of any way to kill a turtle unless you catch
it when you're fishing and then cut it's head off.

-Scott