Cooking smoked turkey parts?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking smoked turkey parts?

I see smoked turkey parts on sale.
It is labeled "Cook and serve""Bring to an internal temperture of
165^"
I've eaten smoked turkey before and smoked fish. Why is this product
directing me to cook further?
How long at what temp will get me 165^?

Thanks, Mike
Old 01-05-2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I see smoked turkey parts on sale.
It is labeled "Cook and serve""Bring to an internal temperture of
165^"
I've eaten smoked turkey before and smoked fish. Why is this product
directing me to cook further?
How long at what temp will get me 165^?

Thanks, Mike

I suspect the product is "cured" or cold smoked and therefore not cooked.

How long - Unknown,

Dimitri

Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I see smoked turkey parts on sale.
It is labeled "Cook and serve""Bring to an internal temperture of
165^"
I've eaten smoked turkey before and smoked fish. Why is this product
directing me to cook further?
How long at what temp will get me 165^?

Thanks, Mike

They are probably cold smoked. That is the kind I usually see. Typically
they are really salty and you don't serve them intact but cut them up
and add it something such as bean soup/split pea soup for the smoky taste.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:

I see smoked turkey parts on sale.
It is labeled "Cook and serve""Bring to an internal temperture of
165^"
I've eaten smoked turkey before and smoked fish. Why is this product
directing me to cook further?

Because they want to cover their asses.

-sw
Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I see smoked turkey parts on sale.
It is labeled "Cook and serve""Bring to an internal temperture of
165^"
I've eaten smoked turkey before and smoked fish. Why is this product
directing me to cook further?
How long at what temp will get me 165^?

Thanks, Mike

I've never seen a commercial uncooked smoked turkey. I can't imagine any
vendor taking the risk. I've brined and cold smoked at about 150-75F a
number of turkeys with the Luhrs Jensen Little Chief. After you smoke, you
should cook it immediately following. I suspect, as Wertz says that they're
covering their potential liabaility.

Kent

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 12:48 pm, Michael Horowitz wrote:
I see smoked turkey parts on sale.
It is labeled "Cook and serve""Bring to an internal temperture of
165^"
I've eaten smoked turkey before and smoked fish. Why is this product
directing me to cook further?
How long at what temp will get me 165^?

Thanks, Mike

Hmmmmm. I'll toss a smoked turkey wing or two in a pot of collard
greens, but it cooks for two or three hours. The ones I buy say "fully-
cooked," "ready-to-eat." I guess the only question there is did they
keep it properly chilled in transit.