April W.

Default Smoked Whole Turkey

I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

Olde Hippee

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a

brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

I do my turkey on the Kamado exactly like I do it inside. Stuffing and
all. Been stuffing the bird for 38 years of marriage, and have never had
anyone get sick. 350 degrees, and the little pop up ttimer in the turkey
even works on the Kamado. And you wanna taste to die for???? Unreal how
good it is. I have to beat em off with a stick when I bring it in to
rest!!
TRY IT - You'll like it!!

Nanzi

Olde Hippee

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a

brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

I do my turkey on the Kamado exactly like I do it inside. Stuffing and
all. Been stuffing the bird for 38 years of marriage, and have never had
anyone get sick. 350 degrees, and the little pop up ttimer in the turkey
even works on the Kamado. And you wanna taste to die for???? Unreal how
good it is. I have to beat em off with a stick when I bring it in to
rest!!
TRY IT - You'll like it!!

Nanzi

Race Bannon

I usually do the breast but do the whole birds occasionally. I use mesquite
and give it a regular yellow mustard rub to keep it moist. The mustard works
great to lock in the juices. Taste great.

Race

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a

brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

Edwin Pawlowski

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a

brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

Poultry does not need the long slow cooking times that brisket and shoulders
do.

As far as prep work, unless it is already injected or a kosher turkey, go
ahead and brine it. Rub with whatever seasonings get you excited.

Now you get the fire going hot,just like the oven and put the bird in.
Follow the cooking times on the wrapper or watch the pop-up thingy. As for
wood, anything you like. Apple, hickory, peach, cherry work well.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:57:47 GMT, "April W."
> wrote:

>I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
>brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
>advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
>or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
>really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

See my turkey pages:

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Nathan Lau

April W. wrote:
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

Start with a fresh bird, unenhanced. Brine or inject. Try Hound's
Citrus Brine. Put your seasoning rub *under* the skin - smoking poultry
usually creates rubbery, inedible skin. I like apple for smoke. Smoke
it at higher temps, 300+, until the temp reaches 180 in the thigh.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Duwop

Nathan Lau wrote:
> April W. wrote:
>> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean
>> butt, brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole
>> turkey. Any advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub
>> it, soak it in a brine or what? Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated. Everyone here has been really informative and helpful
>> about every question I have ever had.

> Start with a fresh bird, unenhanced. Brine or inject. Try Hound's
> Citrus Brine. Put your seasoning rub *under* the skin - smoking
> poultry usually creates rubbery, inedible skin. I like apple for
> smoke. Smoke
> it at higher temps, 300+, until the temp reaches 180 in the thigh.

I've got a barrell cooker with a main chamber that would fit 4 Turkey. I
cooked one with the fire over on one side and the turkey on the other. This
is like roasting a turkey in your oven, just with lump instead of gas.
Turkey had a simple rub on the skin and Hounds Citrus brine. Came out damn
good, light smoke flavor, crispy skin. A little too crispy in places, the
ambient heat was pretty high, but the bird cooked real fast too so turned
out real juicy. Great way to cook a Turkey.
I guess you cant do that on a Weber; because of the fat dripping onto the
fire, you can't get that direct ambient heat without smokin the bird in a
grease fire.
Hounds citrus brine is awsome on Turkey. Don't short the lime, IMO the lime
flavors came through the best.

Kent H.

All of the above posts constitute cooking with wood, not smoking.

To smoke:
Soak in the brine at a cool temperature for quite a long time, at least
4-6 hours. I have brined overnight if the garage temp. is cool enough.
Use a more concentrated brine, at least 1/4 cup sale/quart of water, and
whatever else suits you.

Smoke at a low temp. from 140-165 for 3-6 hours with the wood of your
choice. I use a Luhrs Jensen "Little Chief" smoker and hang the bird in
the smoker. You don't stuff it during this period. Not only does it not
accomplish anything, it isn't safe.

Following the smoking roast the bird according to your preference to the
internal temp of your preference. I cook to a lower temp. than most, to
165F or so, to retain moistness, indirectly in the 22" Weber, always
breast down. It is better to cook the stuffing separately, using your
homemade turkey stock, although if you have to you can stuff the bird at
this point.

Writing this makes me hungry for it.
Good eating,
Kent

Look at: http://www.smoke-house.com/LCRBweb.pdf for more info, though
their brine recipe produces a turkey with too much salt, and you can
smoke quite a long time as long as you brine properly.

"April W." wrote:

> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> All of the above posts constitute cooking with wood, not smoking.
>
> To smoke:
> Soak in the brine at a cool temperature for quite a long time, at least
> 4-6 hours. I have brined overnight if the garage temp. is cool enough.
> Use a more concentrated brine, at least 1/4 cup sale/quart of water, and
> whatever else suits you.
>
> Smoke at a low temp. from 140-165 for 3-6 hours with the wood of your
> choice. I use a Luhrs Jensen "Little Chief" smoker and hang the bird in
> the smoker. You don't stuff it during this period. Not only does it not
> accomplish anything, it isn't safe.

What kind of brine? If you are using a curing salt, I'd say OK, but for
just plain old salt, that is a long time at a low temperature, IMO.
Ed

Louis Cohen

Brine overnight; rinse and pay (or air dry). Season some more (but no more
salt). Roast at regular oven temp (350-400° depending on size). Roast on a
vertical stand, upside down (neck down) if possible.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a

brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

Kent H.

It hasn't been a problem having done this many times. If you are
concerned look at the Luhrs Jensen site. Their brine recipes contain
1/2cup plain table salt per quart of water. I have slowly reduced this
to a lower saltiness without a problem, only with a relatively small
bird, in the 12lb range. If you're going to brine and cook with wood a
salt concentration of 1 ounce salt per quart produces the best degree of
salty flavor in the cooked bird.
Kent
BTW, this is probably explains why the Butterball turkey tends to win
taste tests when commercial turkeys are compared.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > All of the above posts constitute cooking with wood, not smoking.
> >
> > To smoke:
> > Soak in the brine at a cool temperature for quite a long time, at least
> > 4-6 hours. I have brined overnight if the garage temp. is cool enough.
> > Use a more concentrated brine, at least 1/4 cup sale/quart of water, and
> > whatever else suits you.
> >
> > Smoke at a low temp. from 140-165 for 3-6 hours with the wood of your
> > choice. I use a Luhrs Jensen "Little Chief" smoker and hang the bird in
> > the smoker. You don't stuff it during this period. Not only does it not
> > accomplish anything, it isn't safe.

> What kind of brine? If you are using a curing salt, I'd say OK, but for
> just plain old salt, that is a long time at a low temperature, IMO.
> Ed

Kent H.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > All of the above posts constitute cooking with wood, not smoking.
> >
> > To smoke:
> > Soak in the brine at a cool temperature for quite a long time, at least
> > 4-6 hours. I have brined overnight if the garage temp. is cool enough.
> > Use a more concentrated brine, at least 1/4 cup sale/quart of water, and
> > whatever else suits you.
> >
> > Smoke at a low temp. from 140-165 for 3-6 hours with the wood of your
> > choice. I use a Luhrs Jensen "Little Chief" smoker and hang the bird in
> > the smoker. You don't stuff it during this period. Not only does it not
> > accomplish anything, it isn't safe.

> What kind of brine? If you are using a curing salt, I'd say OK, but for
> just plain old salt, that is a long time at a low temperature, IMO.
> Ed

Tyler Hopper

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

A couple of months ago I cooked the very best turkey I've ever eaten on the K7.

First of all it was Norbest brand. My MIL says they've been around for yrs. but
I've never seen them. Label says they are brined/injected with nothing more than
turkey broth. Excellent product.

Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the same
as your oven.

The only stuffing I use is some rough chopped aromatics. (onion, celery,
parsley, etc.)

To avoid tough skin I always wrap a turkey in cheese cloth. Make a stock out of
giblets & aromatics and baste when it looks like the cloth is drying out. Remove
the cloth about 30 min. before it's done to brown and crisp the skin.

I never trust the pop up gizmos. I just stick a Polder in the breast up against
the bone. (Thanks Louie C.)

Finally, about 1/2 way thru cooking I flip it breast side down for the rest of
the time. Practically guarantees a moist and tasty breast.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
> or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

A couple of months ago I cooked the very best turkey I've ever eaten on the K7.

First of all it was Norbest brand. My MIL says they've been around for yrs. but
I've never seen them. Label says they are brined/injected with nothing more than
turkey broth. Excellent product.

Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the same
as your oven.

The only stuffing I use is some rough chopped aromatics. (onion, celery,
parsley, etc.)

To avoid tough skin I always wrap a turkey in cheese cloth. Make a stock out of
giblets & aromatics and baste when it looks like the cloth is drying out. Remove
the cloth about 30 min. before it's done to brown and crisp the skin.

I never trust the pop up gizmos. I just stick a Polder in the breast up against
the bone. (Thanks Louie C.)

Finally, about 1/2 way thru cooking I flip it breast side down for the rest of
the time. Practically guarantees a moist and tasty breast.

_________
ht_redneck

Matthew L. Martin

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the same
> as your oven.

I do have to counter this propaganda. A slow cooked bird (5#, 5hr 250)
is a different product than a roasted bird (5#, 1.5hr 350) but it is an
_excellent_ product none the less. I do them that way all the time to
rave reviews. Checkout "Best chicken in the history of chicken" in a.b.f
under the 2smokers2 subject line.

Matthew

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win

Matthew L. Martin

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the same
> as your oven.

I do have to counter this propaganda. A slow cooked bird (5#, 5hr 250)
is a different product than a roasted bird (5#, 1.5hr 350) but it is an
_excellent_ product none the less. I do them that way all the time to
rave reviews. Checkout "Best chicken in the history of chicken" in a.b.f
under the 2smokers2 subject line.

Matthew

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Kent H.

Start breast down and cook it that way as long as you can. I have cooled
turkeys that way, with a browned breast skin and moist breast meat
always.

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> "April W." > wrote in message
> > I am getting pretty good at this smoking thing. I can make a mean butt,
> > brisket, ribs, even turkey breast. I want to make a whole turkey. Any
> > advice? Maybe on cooking time, wood type? Would I rub it, soak it in a brine
> > or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been
> > really informative and helpful about every question I have ever had.

> A couple of months ago I cooked the very best turkey I've ever eaten on the K7.
>
> First of all it was Norbest brand. My MIL says they've been around for yrs. but
> I've never seen them. Label says they are brined/injected with nothing more than
> turkey broth. Excellent product.
>
> Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the same
> as your oven.
>
> The only stuffing I use is some rough chopped aromatics. (onion, celery,
> parsley, etc.)
>
> To avoid tough skin I always wrap a turkey in cheese cloth. Make a stock out of
> giblets & aromatics and baste when it looks like the cloth is drying out. Remove
> the cloth about 30 min. before it's done to brown and crisp the skin.
>
> I never trust the pop up gizmos. I just stick a Polder in the breast up against
> the bone. (Thanks Louie C.)
>
> Finally, about 1/2 way thru cooking I flip it breast side down for the rest of
> the time. Practically guarantees a moist and tasty breast.
>
> _________
> ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
>

> > Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the

same
> > as your oven.
> >

> I do have to counter this propaganda. A slow cooked bird (5#, 5hr 250)
> is a different product than a roasted bird (5#, 1.5hr 350) but it is an
> _excellent_ product none the less. I do them that way all the time to
> rave reviews. Checkout "Best chicken in the history of chicken" in a.b.f
> under the 2smokers2 subject line.

Okay, let me modify my statement. You don't need to cook poultry low n slow to
try to tenderize it like you do a butt or brisket.

Tyler Hopper

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
>

> > Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the

same
> > as your oven.
> >

> I do have to counter this propaganda. A slow cooked bird (5#, 5hr 250)
> is a different product than a roasted bird (5#, 1.5hr 350) but it is an
> _excellent_ product none the less. I do them that way all the time to
> rave reviews. Checkout "Best chicken in the history of chicken" in a.b.f
> under the 2smokers2 subject line.

Okay, let me modify my statement. You don't need to cook poultry low n slow to
try to tenderize it like you do a butt or brisket.

Matthew L. Martin

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>
>>Tyler Hopper wrote:
>>

>>>Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the

> same
>
>>>as your oven.
>>>

>>I do have to counter this propaganda. A slow cooked bird (5#, 5hr 250)
>>is a different product than a roasted bird (5#, 1.5hr 350) but it is an
>>_excellent_ product none the less. I do them that way all the time to
>>rave reviews. Checkout "Best chicken in the history of chicken" in a.b.f
>>under the 2smokers2 subject line.

> Okay, let me modify my statement. You don't need to cook poultry low n slow to
> try to tenderize it like you do a butt or brisket.

I have to agree, though low and slow chicken is much more tender than
roasted. They both have their place.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Matthew L. Martin

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>
>>Tyler Hopper wrote:
>>

>>>Poultry doesn't benefit from low n slow so just set up your rig to run the

> same
>
>>>as your oven.
>>>

>>I do have to counter this propaganda. A slow cooked bird (5#, 5hr 250)
>>is a different product than a roasted bird (5#, 1.5hr 350) but it is an
>>_excellent_ product none the less. I do them that way all the time to
>>rave reviews. Checkout "Best chicken in the history of chicken" in a.b.f
>>under the 2smokers2 subject line.

> Okay, let me modify my statement. You don't need to cook poultry low n slow to
> try to tenderize it like you do a butt or brisket.

I have to agree, though low and slow chicken is much more tender than
roasted. They both have their place.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Smoked turkey ............ so - so Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 23 04-04-2012 11:42 PM
Smoked Turkey aem General Cooking 10 02-12-2008 04:17 PM
Smoked Turkey [email protected] Barbecue 11 15-08-2006 01:39 AM
Smoked Turkey Dimitri General Cooking 8 14-12-2005 12:45 AM
Smoked turkey Ivan Weiss Barbecue 4 10-04-2004 08:35 PM