Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Smoked Turkey

We were invited to friends' for T-Day. When he said he was going to
try smoking the turkey I was apprehensive. I've never had smoked
turkey before and he is an inexperienced cook, though an enthusiastic
one. To shorten what could be a long story, it turned out great.
Smoky flavor throughout, not dried out, some of the skin got overly
singed but a lot was very good and crispy.

I was drafted to make a sorta faux gravy, as there were giblets and
broth from them and the neck and the wingtips but no pan drippings.
Probably overdid the herbs, but it was okay. We brought a pretty
decent Fumé Blanc, too.

I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
time.

A fun time was had by all and I learned yet another good thing to
eat. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> We were invited to friends' for T-Day. When he said he was going to
> try smoking the turkey I was apprehensive. I've never had smoked
> turkey before and he is an inexperienced cook, though an enthusiastic
> one. To shorten what could be a long story, it turned out great.
> Smoky flavor throughout, not dried out, some of the skin got overly
> singed but a lot was very good and crispy.
>
> I was drafted to make a sorta faux gravy, as there were giblets and
> broth from them and the neck and the wingtips but no pan drippings.
> Probably overdid the herbs, but it was okay. We brought a pretty
> decent Fumé Blanc, too.
>
> I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
> was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
> box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
> unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
> time.

I'm a purist. I say use what you have at your disposal. If it worked and
there was heat and wood smoke involved, it's ok by me.

> A fun time was had by all and I learned yet another good thing to
> eat.

That's what counts the most.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message

I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
time.

If it cam out good and tasted good, it is smoked well enough for me. The
Pilgrims didn't have fancy steel smoking devices either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations you Q'd a turkey. Great flavor but not smoked,

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:30:41 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
>was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
>box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
>unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
>time.

I used to do my turkey that way on my round weber (before it died of
old age). I used mesquite charcoal (no flavor chips) and laid them
around the circumference of the weber with a new layer of charcoal on
top to keep the heat up and even. The turkey cooked in about 2 hours.
It was evenly cooked, juicy and browned all over. Those were the
*best* tasting turkeys! I always had a drip pan underneath, but never
used the drippings for gravy because it was full of ashes and probably
would have been too smoky tasting anyway.

My turkey turned out great this year too. I took Om's advice and
didn't stuff it. I put onions, celery, carrot, fresh rosemary and
sage leaves in the cavity. The bird cooked evenly and it was pretty
as a picture when I took it out because I'd placed fresh sage leaves
under the skin before roasting.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> We were invited to friends' for T-Day. When he said he was going to
> try smoking the turkey I was apprehensive. I've never had smoked
> turkey before and he is an inexperienced cook, though an enthusiastic
> one. To shorten what could be a long story, it turned out great.
> Smoky flavor throughout, not dried out, some of the skin got overly
> singed but a lot was very good and crispy.
>
> I was drafted to make a sorta faux gravy, as there were giblets and
> broth from them and the neck and the wingtips but no pan drippings.
> Probably overdid the herbs, but it was okay. We brought a pretty
> decent Fumé Blanc, too.
>
> I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
> was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
> box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
> unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
> time.
>
> A fun time was had by all and I learned yet another good thing to
> eat. -aem

Hey, if it worked... :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:30:41 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
> >was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
> >box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
> >unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
> >time.

> I used to do my turkey that way on my round weber (before it died of
> old age). I used mesquite charcoal (no flavor chips) and laid them
> around the circumference of the weber with a new layer of charcoal on
> top to keep the heat up and even. The turkey cooked in about 2 hours.
> It was evenly cooked, juicy and browned all over. Those were the
> *best* tasting turkeys! I always had a drip pan underneath, but never
> used the drippings for gravy because it was full of ashes and probably
> would have been too smoky tasting anyway.
>
> My turkey turned out great this year too. I took Om's advice and
> didn't stuff it. I put onions, celery, carrot, fresh rosemary and
> sage leaves in the cavity. The bird cooked evenly and it was pretty
> as a picture when I took it out because I'd placed fresh sage leaves
> under the skin before roasting.

How did the breast meat turn out? :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:03:37 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> My turkey turned out great this year too. I took Om's advice and
>> didn't stuff it. I put onions, celery, carrot, fresh rosemary and
>> sage leaves in the cavity. The bird cooked evenly and it was pretty
>> as a picture when I took it out because I'd placed fresh sage leaves
>> under the skin before roasting.

>How did the breast meat turn out? :-)

Very well, indeed! The white meat cooked at the same rate as the
dark, which explains why I had perfect turkey every time I made it on
the Weber.

Next time I may shove a little dressing in the neck cavity because I
love the taste of dressing cooked inside the bird. I mix it in with
the remainder of the dressing that was oven baked because it gives
everything that "bird in" taste.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
>> We were invited to friends' for T-Day. When he said he was going to
>> try smoking the turkey I was apprehensive. I've never had smoked
>> turkey before and he is an inexperienced cook, though an enthusiastic
>> one. To shorten what could be a long story, it turned out great.
>> Smoky flavor throughout, not dried out, some of the skin got overly
>> singed but a lot was very good and crispy.
>>
>> I was drafted to make a sorta faux gravy, as there were giblets and
>> broth from them and the neck and the wingtips but no pan drippings.
>> Probably overdid the herbs, but it was okay. We brought a pretty
>> decent Fumé Blanc, too.
>>
>> I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
>> was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a
>> smoker box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
>> unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
>> time.

> I'm a purist. I say use what you have at your disposal. If it
> worked and there was heat and wood smoke involved, it's ok by me.
>

>> A fun time was had by all and I learned yet another good thing to
>> eat.

> That's what counts the most.
>
> TFM®

Don't make me tell the smoked turkey when my brother was my roommate story
again

Jill

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

> I don't know if purists would consider what he did real smoking as it
> was done on a grill, not in a smoker. Coals on one side with a smoker
> box of wood chips, turkey on the other side. Uneven, mostly
> unmeasured, heat regulation trying for fairly low heat for a long
> time.

Screw the purists! It's not their turkey.

I was going to smoke our turkey this year, but discovered that I only
had a handful of wood chips. Not really enough to fully smoke the
bird. I always slow cook it on the gas grill. Put the turkey on
one side and just light the opposite side burner and leave it going
on low. I had foil over the bird for the first 5 hours, and then
when I pulled the foil off for the last hour I put the wood chips
into the smoker box. It didn't give a lot of smoke flavor, but just
a hint. I was quite happy with the result. I wish I'd taken a
picture. The skin was a nice even brown and crispy.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Smoked turkey ............ so - so Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 23 04-04-2012 11:42 PM
Smoked Turkey [email protected] Barbecue 11 15-08-2006 01:39 AM
Smoked Turkey Dimitri General Cooking 8 14-12-2005 12:45 AM
Smoked turkey Ivan Weiss Barbecue 4 10-04-2004 08:35 PM