Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

Default Smoked Turkey

A few months ago I indulged myself and purchased a side firebox smoker

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

The past weekend I had decided to use the "extra turkey" I got before
Thanksgiving - a 14 pound Butterball. Friday night I planted the frozen bird
into a sink full of cold water. By morning it had just defrosted. So about 8:00
AM I opened the bird, cleaned and rinsed the bird. I started the charcoal,
soaked some mesquite chips, found a old steel bowl to fill with liquid and put
in the main box next to the heat inlet.

In the cavity of the bird went a decent amount of seasoned salt, fresh ground
pepper 1 granny smith apple and 1 onion both quartered.

So under the grate in the main box went a roasting pan, and the steel bowl. As
suggested i filled the bowl with the soaking liquid. The bird was well oiled
on the outside and salted as well. I folded the wings under & put the bird onto
a doubled piece of foil on the grates.

I manages to adjust the chimney damper and the firebox damper so the air
escaping from the chimney was a constant 225 to 230 degrees. I used an instant
read thermometer to check the temperature of the smoke. I added wood chips about
4 times (small amounts) & charcoal 2 times more. Several instructions say for
safety reasons not to put the bird into the smoker until the temperature is up
over 200 degrees. Very understandable.

The bird took about 7.5 hours to reach 160 degrees in several parts (Thigh &
Breast).

I made a apple/cranberry brandy stuffing in the oven, and did some boiled cubed
yams with fresh Key Lime Juice & Butter.

I rested the bird about 20 minutes and cut into that devil.

Holy Mackerel! I may never use an oven again (only kidding) WOW! Talk about
tender and juicy?

This turned out to be a really good toy -

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kenneth

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:33:52 GMT, "Dimitri"
> wrote:

>A few months ago I indulged myself and purchased a side firebox smoker
>
>http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html
>
>The past weekend I had decided to use the "extra turkey" I got before
>Thanksgiving - a 14 pound Butterball. Friday night I planted the frozen bird
>into a sink full of cold water. By morning it had just defrosted. So about 8:00
>AM I opened the bird, cleaned and rinsed the bird. I started the charcoal,
>soaked some mesquite chips, found a old steel bowl to fill with liquid and put
>in the main box next to the heat inlet.
>
>In the cavity of the bird went a decent amount of seasoned salt, fresh ground
>pepper 1 granny smith apple and 1 onion both quartered.
>
>So under the grate in the main box went a roasting pan, and the steel bowl. As
>suggested i filled the bowl with the soaking liquid. The bird was well oiled
>on the outside and salted as well. I folded the wings under & put the bird onto
>a doubled piece of foil on the grates.
>
>I manages to adjust the chimney damper and the firebox damper so the air
>escaping from the chimney was a constant 225 to 230 degrees. I used an instant
>read thermometer to check the temperature of the smoke. I added wood chips about
>4 times (small amounts) & charcoal 2 times more. Several instructions say for
>safety reasons not to put the bird into the smoker until the temperature is up
>over 200 degrees. Very understandable.
>
>The bird took about 7.5 hours to reach 160 degrees in several parts (Thigh &
>Breast).
>
>I made a apple/cranberry brandy stuffing in the oven, and did some boiled cubed
>yams with fresh Key Lime Juice & Butter.
>
>I rested the bird about 20 minutes and cut into that devil.
>
>Holy Mackerel! I may never use an oven again (only kidding) WOW! Talk about
>tender and juicy?
>
>This turned out to be a really good toy -
>
>Dimitri

Hi Dimitri,

It's great to hear of your success...

I have been smoking turkeys for quite a few years. I do 'em
over hickory. Also, you might try brining the bird overnight
before you smoke it.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Kenneth" > wrote in message

<snip>

>>This turned out to be a really good toy -
>>
>>Dimitri
>>

> Hi Dimitri,
>
> It's great to hear of your success...
>
> I have been smoking turkeys for quite a few years. I do 'em
> over hickory. Also, you might try brining the bird overnight
> before you smoke it.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth

Thanks , I did brine the 21 Lb. bird for T-Day with an Apple cider brine. This
bird was a Butterball and I was thinking maybe the brining would be
contra-productive. Finally it was a last minute decision on Friday as I needed
the room in the outside freezer.

There's a 18 pound Xmas whole ham sitting in the outside fridge. I am thinking
about using the smoker to warm it on Xmas. Any thoughts about UN-BRINING?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User

Dimitri wrote:

> There's a 18 pound Xmas whole ham sitting in the outside fridge. I
> am thinking about using the smoker to warm it on Xmas. Any thoughts
> about UN-BRINING?

Are you sure you need to? Anyway, for corned beef and the like, you
just soak it in plain water that you change a few times.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kenneth

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:29:13 GMT, "Dimitri"
> wrote:

>Thanks , I did brine the 21 Lb. bird for T-Day with an Apple cider brine. This
>bird was a Butterball and I was thinking maybe the brining would be
>contra-productive. Finally it was a last minute decision on Friday as I needed
>the room in the outside freezer.
>
>There's a 18 pound Xmas whole ham sitting in the outside fridge. I am thinking
>about using the smoker to warm it on Xmas. Any thoughts about UN-BRINING?
>
>Dimitri

Hi Dimitri,

"Unbrining" is exactly right. I do know that folks soak
certain hams to lower the salt content.

I've not done it, so I will leave the method to others.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Dimitri wrote:
> "Kenneth" > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>>>This turned out to be a really good toy -
>>>
>>>Dimitri
>>>

>>Hi Dimitri,
>>
>>It's great to hear of your success...
>>
>>I have been smoking turkeys for quite a few years. I do 'em
>>over hickory. Also, you might try brining the bird overnight
>>before you smoke it.
>>
>>All the best,
>>--
>>Kenneth

> Thanks , I did brine the 21 Lb. bird for T-Day with an Apple cider brine. This
> bird was a Butterball and I was thinking maybe the brining would be
> contra-productive. Finally it was a last minute decision on Friday as I needed
> the room in the outside freezer.
>
> There's a 18 pound Xmas whole ham sitting in the outside fridge. I am thinking
> about using the smoker to warm it on Xmas. Any thoughts about UN-BRINING?
>
> Dimitri

I've had pretty good luck "un-brining" with both corned beef and country
hams. Country hams don't take to it as readily as corned beef but in
either case keep the water changed and it'll pull an amazing amount of
salt out. Omosis and confusion are the same no matter which way they swing.
Good luck!!!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> A few months ago I indulged myself and purchased a side firebox smoker
>
> http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html
>
> The past weekend I had decided to use the "extra turkey" I got before
> Thanksgiving - a 14 pound Butterball. Friday night I planted the
> frozen bird into a sink full of cold water. By morning it had just
> defrosted. So about 8:00 AM I opened the bird, cleaned and rinsed the
> bird. I started the charcoal, soaked some mesquite chips, found a
> old steel bowl to fill with liquid and put in the main box next to
> the heat inlet.
>
> In the cavity of the bird went a decent amount of seasoned salt,
> fresh ground pepper 1 granny smith apple and 1 onion both quartered.
>
> So under the grate in the main box went a roasting pan, and the steel
> bowl. As suggested i filled the bowl with the soaking liquid.
> Holy Mackerel! I may never use an oven again (only kidding) WOW!
> Talk about tender and juicy?
>
> This turned out to be a really good toy -
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri... part of that "liquid" you add to the water pan for the smoking
should be an inexpensive but nice white wine. Toss the wood chips and the
apple and onion in there, too, along with garlic cloves and whatever sprigs
of fresh or pinches of dried herbs you want. Ooooh yeah!

I don't recommend leftover smoked turkey for creamed turkey over biscuits or
turkey pot pie, but hey, to each their own

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dimitri wrote:
>> A few months ago I indulged myself and purchased a side firebox smoker
>>
>> http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html
>>
>> The past weekend I had decided to use the "extra turkey" I got before
>> Thanksgiving - a 14 pound Butterball. Friday night I planted the
>> frozen bird into a sink full of cold water. By morning it had just
>> defrosted. So about 8:00 AM I opened the bird, cleaned and rinsed the
>> bird. I started the charcoal, soaked some mesquite chips, found a
>> old steel bowl to fill with liquid and put in the main box next to
>> the heat inlet.
>>
>> In the cavity of the bird went a decent amount of seasoned salt,
>> fresh ground pepper 1 granny smith apple and 1 onion both quartered.
>>
>> So under the grate in the main box went a roasting pan, and the steel
>> bowl. As suggested i filled the bowl with the soaking liquid.
>> Holy Mackerel! I may never use an oven again (only kidding) WOW!
>> Talk about tender and juicy?
>>
>> This turned out to be a really good toy -
>>
>> Dimitri

> Dimitri... part of that "liquid" you add to the water pan for the smoking
> should be an inexpensive but nice white wine. Toss the wood chips and the
> apple and onion in there, too, along with garlic cloves and whatever sprigs
> of fresh or pinches of dried herbs you want. Ooooh yeah!
>
> I don't recommend leftover smoked turkey for creamed turkey over biscuits or
> turkey pot pie, but hey, to each their own
>
> Jill

Your suggestions are great and you're correct the uses for "Smoked turkey" are
somewhat limited.

One of the articles said to use the wood soaking liquid. I have been
experimenting with smoking be about a year now. There is very definitely a
heavy learning curve so that you don't OVERPOWER the flavor of the meat. One of
the difficulties (Cautions) with using wine and other liquids is you have to be
careful with residual sugars.. If the liquid dries out the remaining sugar can
burn and leave a very bitter burnt sugar taste.

The most difficult part of the whole process was leaving the lid on and not
checking the progress every few minutes.

Regards,

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:45:18 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Your suggestions are great and you're correct the uses for "Smoked turkey" are
>somewhat limited.

I love smoked turkey in sandwiches or just with cheese and crackers.
It works well in quesadillas, burritos, and enchiladas, too.

Tara

Smoked turkey ............ so - so Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 23 04-04-2012 11:42 PM
Smoked Turkey aem General Cooking 10 02-12-2008 04:17 PM
Smoked Turkey [email protected] Barbecue 11 15-08-2006 01:39 AM
Smoked turkey Ivan Weiss Barbecue 4 10-04-2004 08:35 PM