Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoked turkey ............ so - so

I smoked a 12# turkey in my Brinkman bullet smoker last week. The
temperature hung at 250, and I cooked it for about seven hours. A little
dry, but that was because I could not get the inner temp up to the range I
wanted, which was 170. It never got above 150, and the meat was pinkish. I
basted, and the water pan had water the entire time. I'm a little
perplexed. That small of a space, and plenty enough charcoal ...........

Should I have opened up the door more, and gone for 275? Ideas?

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve B" > wrote in message
>I smoked a 12# turkey in my Brinkman bullet smoker last week. The
>temperature hung at 250, and I cooked it for about seven hours. A little
>dry, but that was because I could not get the inner temp up to the range I
>wanted, which was 170. It never got above 150, and the meat was pinkish.
>I basted, and the water pan had water the entire time. I'm a little
>perplexed. That small of a space, and plenty enough charcoal ...........
>
> Should I have opened up the door more, and gone for 275? Ideas?
>
> Steve

I'd suggest next time, you smoke the turkey at a low temp. for about three
hours, and finish off in the oven. Separate the smoking from the baking.

I agree with our darling Sqwertz about the water. In a bullet you have to
cook turkey at a higher temp. You're not, however, smoking it. I have,
using the Luhrs Jensen low temp smoker, smoked a turkey at 175-200F for
several hours, and then baked it at 350F either in the oven or in the Weber
kettle indirectly. This separates the smoking and baking. I haven't done
this for awhile, but the next time I want to smoke turkey I think I will.
Everytime I say something like this I wish I had a gas smoker.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:01:07 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> I agree with our darling Sqwertz about the water. In a bullet you have to
>> cook turkey at a higher temp. You're not, however, smoking it. I have,
>> using the Luhrs Jensen low temp smoker, smoked a turkey at 175-200F for
>> several hours, and then baked it at 350F either in the oven or in the
>> Weber
>> kettle indirectly. This separates the smoking and baking. I haven't done
>> this for awhile, but the next time I want to smoke turkey I think I will.

>> Everytime I say something like this I wish I had a gas smoker.

> Everytime You say something like this I wish I had a gun.
>
> What a crock of shit.
>
> -sw

What you just said is assault.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 3/18/2012 8:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:22:07 -0700, Steve B wrote:
>
>> I smoked a 12# turkey in my Brinkman bullet smoker last week. The
>> temperature hung at 250, and I cooked it for about seven hours. A little
>> dry, but that was because I could not get the inner temp up to the range I
>> wanted, which was 170. It never got above 150, and the meat was pinkish. I
>> basted, and the water pan had water the entire time. I'm a little
>> perplexed. That small of a space, and plenty enough charcoal ...........
>>
>> Should I have opened up the door more, and gone for 275? Ideas?

> Screw the water pan. It's just sucking up your heat. Cover it with
> foil and use it as a drip pan.
>
> Bullet smokers don't have doors. So what you're using is a mystery.
> First you call it a "bullet", then a "single stacker" (which is a
> burger from Burger King)... WTF is it really?
>
> -sw

I'm guessing he has an upright rectangular, refrigerator style smoker.
Maybe one of the thermometers he was using is wacked out. 7 hours,
even at 250 seems to me to be a long time for a 12# turkey, especially
an unstuffed one.

If he can post some pics somewhere, that would help in helping him.
The pinkish look could be from the smoke. At least that's what we look
for in pork or beef.

Those terrible skinless thighs I grilled the other day were at 170-175
at the thickest part of the meat. When eating them, there was some
pinkish near the bone. If you don't hear from me again, maybe those
thighs killed me because I removed the skin :-)

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 3/18/2012 9:01 PM, Kent wrote:
> "Steve > wrote in message
>> I smoked a 12# turkey in my Brinkman bullet smoker last week. The
>> temperature hung at 250, and I cooked it for about seven hours. A little
>> dry, but that was because I could not get the inner temp up to the range I
>> wanted, which was 170. It never got above 150, and the meat was pinkish.
>> I basted, and the water pan had water the entire time. I'm a little
>> perplexed. That small of a space, and plenty enough charcoal ...........
>>
>> Should I have opened up the door more, and gone for 275? Ideas?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I'd suggest next time, you smoke the turkey at a low temp. for about three
> hours, and finish off in the oven. Separate the smoking from the baking.
>
> I agree with our darling Sqwertz about the water. In a bullet you have to
> cook turkey at a higher temp. You're not, however, smoking it. I have,
> using the Luhrs Jensen low temp smoker, smoked a turkey at 175-200F for
> several hours, and then baked it at 350F either in the oven or in the Weber
> kettle indirectly. This separates the smoking and baking. I haven't done
> this for awhile, but the next time I want to smoke turkey I think I will.
> Everytime I say something like this I wish I had a gas smoker.
>
> Kent

Kent, you do have a gas smoker. It's called your back door. Just point
your back door towards your turkey or what ever you're cooking, and blow
out all your hot air. Be done in no time with all the hot air you have
built up....

BBQ (just trying to help)

--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 18, 9:48*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
> > Everytime You say something like this I wish I had a gun.

> > What a crock of shit.

> > -sw

> What you just said is assault.- Hide quoted text -

To repeat "What a crock of shit."

Will you ever say something that's right?

"An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an
apparent, present ability to cause the harm."

He just proclaimed his present inability to cause harm. And then
there's the whole physically removed aspect, you know, you're in the
SFBA, he's 1,500 miles away. Kind of difficult to commit assault when
there's absolutely no chance of carrying a threat out.

And further, he did not make any claim as to target. He might be
wishing to be able to kill himself to stop the pain of thinking about
you any longer. Mayber he just wants to shoot at cans and make bang
bang noises.

Really, just STFU you ignorant ****.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> On 3/18/2012 8:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:22:07 -0700, Steve B wrote:
> >
> >> I smoked a 12# turkey in my Brinkman bullet smoker last week. The
> >> temperature hung at 250, and I cooked it for about seven hours. A little
> >> dry, but that was because I could not get the inner temp up to the range I
> >> wanted, which was 170. It never got above 150, and the meat was pinkish.
> >> basted, and the water pan had water the entire time. I'm a little
> >> perplexed. That small of a space, and plenty enough charcoal ...........
> >>
> >> Should I have opened up the door more, and gone for 275? Ideas?

> > Screw the water pan. It's just sucking up your heat. Cover it with
> > foil and use it as a drip pan.
> >
> > Bullet smokers don't have doors. So what you're using is a mystery.
> > First you call it a "bullet", then a "single stacker" (which is a
> > burger from Burger King)... WTF is it really?
> >
> > -sw

> I'm guessing he has an upright rectangular, refrigerator style smoker.
> Maybe one of the thermometers he was using is wacked out. 7 hours,
> even at 250 seems to me to be a long time for a 12# turkey, especially
> an unstuffed one.
>
> If he can post some pics somewhere, that would help in helping him.
> The pinkish look could be from the smoke. At least that's what we look
> for in pork or beef.
>
> Those terrible skinless thighs I grilled the other day were at 170-175
> at the thickest part of the meat. When eating them, there was some
> pinkish near the bone. If you don't hear from me again, maybe those
> thighs killed me because I removed the skin :-)
>
> BBQ

Pink next to the bone don't ncssrly mean underdone. Poultry is grown so
quickly nowadays you can prettymuch ixnay that as an indicator. Wiggling
legjoints,color of juices,and meat temp are ALL better ways of checking
birdie doneness IMO.

monroe(eat the skin-toss the thighs)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:25:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Bullet smokers don't have doors.

Odd. I wonder what it was I opened to put in more wood chunks on my
WSM the other day? Was very similar to what I opened on my other
bullet. Would you prefer 'access hatch'??

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:40:48 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
wrote:

>Really, just STFU you ignorant ****.

Hey, I'm very fond of ****s (one in particular)--let's call Kent
something UNpleasant, ok?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:09:14 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>BTW: I'm having trouble with my computer. The blue buttons don't
>work. Can anybody help me?

Yes. We're sending Kent over to teach you.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 31, 10:09*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:51:59 -0700, Denny Wheeler wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:25:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >>Bullet smokers don't have doors.

> > Odd. *I wonder what it was I opened to put in more wood chunks on my
> > WSM the other day? *Was very similar to what I opened on my other
> > bullet. *Would you prefer 'access hatch'??

> It's all a mystery because even though the guy came back and posted
> some more to the thread, he never told us what kind of smoker he was
> really using. *I assumed he was referring to the "door" on a cabinet
> style smoker. *Why he'd want to open up the door to generate more heat
> when there are things known as "vents" is still a mystery.
>
> Moral of the story is, if he doesn't know what he's using or can't be
> bothered to tell us, there's no use speculating and trying to help
> him.
>
> BTW: *I'm having trouble with my computer. *The blue buttons don't
> work. *Can anybody help me?
>
> -sw

Get a marker and re-color them.

You find your "any key" yet?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 31, 9:54*am, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:40:48 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
> wrote:
>
> >Really, just STFU you ignorant ****.

> Hey, I'm very fond of ****s (one in particular)--let's call Kent
> something UNpleasant, ok?

True dat.

Am betting you hope D doesn't read this thread now. <beg>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:25:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Bullet smokers don't have doors.

> Odd. I wonder what it was I opened to put in more wood chunks on my
> WSM the other day? Was very similar to what I opened on my other
> bullet. Would you prefer 'access hatch'??

Yeah. I call mine the "portal to all knowledge."

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 10:09 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:51:59 -0700, Denny Wheeler wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:25:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >>Bullet smokers don't have doors.

> > Odd. I wonder what it was I opened to put in more wood chunks on my
> > WSM the other day? Was very similar to what I opened on my other
> > bullet. Would you prefer 'access hatch'??

> It's all a mystery because even though the guy came back and posted
> some more to the thread, he never told us what kind of smoker he was
> really using. I assumed he was referring to the "door" on a cabinet
> style smoker. Why he'd want to open up the door to generate more heat
> when there are things known as "vents" is still a mystery.
>
> Moral of the story is, if he doesn't know what he's using or can't be
> bothered to tell us, there's no use speculating and trying to help
> him.
>
> BTW: I'm having trouble with my computer. The blue buttons don't
> work. Can anybody help me?
>
> -sw

That is rich. At least I'm not the one who can't figure out a simple device
like a computer?

As I said, it is a simple Brinkman smoker. Fire pan, water pan, tube, two
racks, one lid, temperature gauge, and oh, yeah, a door.

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:36:05 -0700, Steve B wrote:
>
>> "tutall" > wrote in message

>>> It's all a mystery because even though the guy came back and posted
>>> some more to the thread, he never told us what kind of smoker he was
>>> really using. I assumed he was referring to the "door" on a cabinet
>>> style smoker. Why he'd want to open up the door to generate more
>>> heat when there are things known as "vents" is still a mystery.
>>>
>>> Moral of the story is, if he doesn't know what he's using or can't
>>> be bothered to tell us, there's no use speculating and trying to
>>> help him.
>>>
>>> BTW: I'm having trouble with my computer. The blue buttons don't
>>> work. Can anybody help me?
>>>
>>> -sw

>> That is rich. At least I'm not the one who can't figure out a
>> simple device like a computer?

> Huh? WTF are you referring to now? I'll pit my my computer skills
> against yours any day. And I'll pit my pit sjkills
>
>> As I said, it is a simple Brinkman smoker. Fire pan, water pan,
>> tube, two racks, one lid, temperature gauge, and oh, yeah, a door.

> There are 3 Brinkman bullet smokers, and all work drastically
> different. I wasn't the only one questioning it, either.
>
> And after all that advice you didn't have the simple courtesy to thank
> anyone who had the patience to try and help you out, you just come
> back and spout snide assed remarks against those that didn't want to
> help?
>
> I think you forgot your manners in your haste to be an asshole.

LOL!!! Just remember, Steve, you can lead a horse to water, only to have it
crap in the water hole.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:36:05 -0700, Steve B wrote:

>>> That is rich. At least I'm not the one who can't figure out a
>>> simple device like a computer?

>> Huh? WTF are you referring to now? I'll pit my my computer skills
>> against yours any day. And I'll pit my pit sjkills
>>
>>> As I said, it is a simple Brinkman smoker. Fire pan, water pan,
>>> tube, two racks, one lid, temperature gauge, and oh, yeah, a door.

>> There are 3 Brinkman bullet smokers, and all work drastically
>> different. I wasn't the only one questioning it, either.
>>
>> And after all that advice you didn't have the simple courtesy to thank
>> anyone who had the patience to try and help you out, you just come
>> back and spout snide assed remarks against those that didn't want to
>> help?
>>
>> I think you forgot your manners in your haste to be an asshole.

> LOL!!! Just remember, Steve, you can lead a horse to water, only to have
> it crap in the water hole.
> --
> Dave

Well, it certainly affected my whole day and demeanor. I think I shall go
start a fire in my Brinkman smoker, and stick my head in the door. Oh, my,
my head is much too big to fit through the door.

Crap! It's always something.

Steve

Smoked Turkey aem General Cooking 10 02-12-2008 04:17 PM
Smoked Turkey [email protected] Barbecue 11 15-08-2006 01:39 AM
Smoked Turkey Dimitri General Cooking 8 14-12-2005 12:45 AM
Smoked turkey Ivan Weiss Barbecue 4 10-04-2004 08:35 PM