How long can a thawed out turkey stay in the fridge?

Old 01-11-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long can a thawed out turkey stay in the fridge?

I want to know if once a frozen turkey has thawed out in the
refrigerator, how long can it stay in without changing the flavor or
tenderness?

Old 01-11-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 11:40?am, "
wrote:
I want to know if once a frozen turkey has thawed out in the
refrigerator, how long can it stay in without changing the flavor or
tenderness?

Forget about flavor and tenderness and instead think about safety.
After 2 days a fresh killed or thawed turkey is considered unsafe.

http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/hometips/dhp/Turkey.htm

Old 01-11-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 1, 11:40?am, "
wrote:
I want to know if once a frozen turkey has thawed out in the
refrigerator, how long can it stay in without changing the flavor or
tenderness?

Forget about flavor and tenderness and instead think about safety.
After 2 days a fresh killed or thawed turkey is considered unsafe.

http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/hometips/dhp/Turkey.htm

I found the question odd, too. This is why I sometimes ask how old people
are, which, of course, never gets a response because the reason for the
question is obvious. Born yesterday?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 9:00 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 1, 11:40?am, "
wrote:
I want to know if once a frozen turkey has thawed out in the
refrigerator, how long can it stay in without changing the flavor or
tenderness?

Forget about flavor and tenderness and instead think about safety.
After 2 days a fresh killed or thawed turkey is considered unsafe.

http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/hometips/dhp/Turkey.htm

I found the question odd, too. This is why I sometimes ask how old people
are, which, of course, never gets a response because the reason for the
question is obvious. Born yesterday?

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

shareyourknowle wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote:
"shareyourknowle wrote:
I want to know if once a frozen turkey has thawed out in the
refrigerator, how long can it stay in without changing the flavor or
tenderness?

Forget about flavor and tenderness and instead think about safety.
After 2 days a fresh killed or thawed turkey is considered unsafe.

http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/hometips/dhp/Turkey.htm

I found the question odd, too. This is why I sometimes ask how old people
are, which, of course, never gets a response because the reason for the
question is obvious. Born yesterday?

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

I didn't find yopur question odd at all... every holiday season people
ask all kinds of questions regarding handling turkey... even many who
claim to be experienced cooks actually know nothing about safe
handling for poultry. Your's is a very legitimate query... time for
the real imbecile inquiries is fast approaching, usually the most
inane by certain rfc regulars.

You can find more detailed information at the various major national
brands turkey/poultry web sites; butterball, empire, norbest, etal.
Some even have a hotline you can phone to ask for info. I would
strongly recommend following the safe food handling directions
exactly, do not improvise, otherwise people can become quite ill, some
can die (the very young, the elderly, and those with compromised
immune systems are most at risk).

Sheldon

Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Nov 1, 9:00 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 1, 11:40?am, "
wrote:
I want to know if once a frozen turkey has thawed out in the
refrigerator, how long can it stay in without changing the flavor
or tenderness?

Forget about flavor and tenderness and instead think about safety.
After 2 days a fresh killed or thawed turkey is considered unsafe.

http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/hometips/dhp/Turkey.htm

I found the question odd, too. This is why I sometimes ask how old
people are, which, of course, never gets a response because the
reason for the question is obvious. Born yesterday?

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

Thawed out and left 21 days until Thanksgiving??? Even a 5 year old knows
better. You're not 55, you're a troll. Trolls taste especially good if
they are roasted slowly over an open spit on a rotisserie.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
"
dropped this
ups.com: in
rec.food.cooking

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

I strongly suggest you peruse the entire article at the site below.
I've put an excerpt in this post that should help you out:

I strongly suggest he fry a turkey inside his garage with the door closed.
No one can have lived 55 years, cook or not, and not have a clue.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Michael "Dog3" wrote:
"
dropped this
ups.com: in
rec.food.cooking

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

I strongly suggest you peruse the entire article at the site below.
I've put an excerpt in this post that should help you out:

I strongly suggest he fry a turkey inside his garage with the door closed.
No one can have lived 55 years, cook or not, and not have a clue.

I thought you were too old for pms.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 11:34 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Michael "Dog3" wrote:
"
dropped this
oups.com:in
rec.food.cooking

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

I strongly suggest you peruse the entire article at the site below.
I've put an excerpt in this post that should help you out:

I strongly suggest he fry a turkey inside his garage with the door closed.
No one can have lived 55 years, cook or not, and not have a clue.

Well, i guess i don't have a clue. I can blame that on my wife who's a
great cook. But i do do all the home repairs-plumbing, electrical,
auto,that makes up for it. Sorry, but offensive remarks won't affect
me. You'll have to insult someone else. By the way, have a Happy
Thanksgiving.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 10:09 am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:
Sheldon dropped egroups.com:in
rec.food.cooking

I didn't find yopur question odd at all... every holiday season people
ask all kinds of questions regarding handling turkey... even many who
claim to be experienced cooks actually know nothing about safe
handling for poultry.

I agree. I would much rather post some useful info for the query than not
post it. I have it in bookmarks anyway. While I think safe poultry
handling and preparation is very necessary, I've seen people go to
absolute extremes regarding the issue.

Your's is a very legitimate query... time for
the real imbecile inquiries is fast approaching, usually the most
inane by certain rfc regulars.

OMG...I can only *imagine* what you would consider an "imbecile" inquiry
from one of the regulars ...LOL

snip for space

Michael
--
Last words spoken before execution . . .

"Well, gentlemen, you are about to see a baked Appel."
Executed in electric chair in New York.
~~ George Appel, d. 1928

Send email to: michael at lonergan dot us dot com

Nice to hear a rational response. Thanks for the reply and info.
Regards.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 11:48 am, Barb wrote:
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:23:25 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
wrote:

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

Thawed out and left 21 days until Thanksgiving??? Even a 5 year old knows
better. You're not 55, you're a troll. Trolls taste especially good if
they are roasted slowly over an open spit on a rotisserie.

She didn't say she was going to thaw it out *now*, you bumbling
dip-stick.

And it's not a troll, just somebody who doesn't know any better.
It was a straight-forward question, that is, for somebody with at
least half a brain.

-sw

I didn't mention anything about 21 days before Thanksgiving. You did.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

Err, Barb didn't, but we know who you mean :-)

Old 02-11-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 2:34?pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Michael "Dog3" wrote:
"
dropped this
oups.com:in
rec.food.cooking

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

I strongly suggest you peruse the entire article at the site below.
I've put an excerpt in this post that should help you out:

I strongly suggest he fry a turkey inside his garage with the door closed.
No one can have lived 55 years, cook or not, and not have a clue.

You're not 55 yet.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan

Sheldon wrote:
On Nov 1, 2:34?pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Michael "Dog3" wrote:
"
dropped this
ups.com:in
rec.food.cooking
I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.
I strongly suggest you peruse the entire article at the site below.
I've put an excerpt in this post that should help you out:

I strongly suggest he fry a turkey inside his garage with the door closed.
No one can have lived 55 years, cook or not, and not have a clue.

You're not 55 yet.

Why are you still here? You should take a long break.

Really.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
"
dropped this
ups.com: in
rec.food.cooking

I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
places that has them frozen.

I strongly suggest you peruse the entire article at the site below.
I've put an excerpt in this post that should help you out:

I strongly suggest he fry a turkey inside his garage with the door closed.
No one can have lived 55 years, cook or not, and not have a clue.

jill, if were you, i would think very carefully before i espousing
capital punishment for cluelessness.

your pal,
blake