Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how long do olives stay good for?

Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.

The 500mL tub was opened about 1 month ago with about 100mL taken out.
Left in the refrigerator. However, it seems the brine/oil has leaked
all out of the tub to the bottom of the fridge, undetected the past month.

Best Before date says Jan 31 2014. No smell or odour or mould or
discolouring detected on the air exposed olives.

We've chucked them in the bin, but thought I would ask for arguement sake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hench" > wrote in message ...
> Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.
>
> The 500mL tub was opened about 1 month ago with about 100mL taken out.
> Left in the refrigerator. However, it seems the brine/oil has leaked all
> out of the tub to the bottom of the fridge, undetected the past month.
>
> Best Before date says Jan 31 2014. No smell or odour or mould or
> discolouring detected on the air exposed olives.
>
> We've chucked them in the bin, but thought I would ask for arguement sake.

There is a sign on my olive bar. I think it said something like 2-3 days in
no brine or a week in brine. That is the ones from the olive bar. I have
kept bottled ones for a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:36:20 -0500, Hench > wrote:

> Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.
>
> The 500mL tub was opened about 1 month ago with about 100mL taken out.
> Left in the refrigerator. However, it seems the brine/oil has leaked
> all out of the tub to the bottom of the fridge, undetected the past month.
>
> Best Before date says Jan 31 2014. No smell or odour or mould or
> discolouring detected on the air exposed olives.
>
> We've chucked them in the bin, but thought I would ask for arguement sake.

I get Kalamata olives from the olive bar - there's a minimum of liquid
and they last "forever".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 16, 2013 2:05:07 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> I get Kalamata olives from the olive bar - there's a minimum of liquid
> and they last "forever".
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

They are usually good until the texture suffers,
many months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hench > wrote:

> Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.

Good for??? Good for what???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2013 12:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Hench > wrote:
>>
>> Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.

> Good for??? Good for what???

Poor sentence structure, for sure!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2013 10:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Hench > wrote:
>>
>> Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.

> Good for??? Good for what???

Dwarf soccer matches...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:27:25 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/16/2013 12:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Hench > wrote:
> >>
> >> Specifically, Katamala olives that were packed in a salt-water brine/oil.

> > Good for??? Good for what???
> >

> Poor sentence structure, for sure!

Most people can figure out what he means by "good". Of course,
Sheldon is still learning how to speak English, which explains his
lack of comprehension.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2013 12:56 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:27:25 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Good for??? Good for what???
>>>

>> Poor sentence structure, for sure!
>>

> Most people can figure out what he means by "good". Of course,
> Sheldon is still learning how to speak English, which explains his
> lack of comprehension.

Actually I was agreeing with Sheldon. Don't end a sentence with a
preposition. "good for" is poor grammar.

Here's a good old joke for everyone:

Two women sitting in an airport. One is from the South, the other is
from NYC. The Southern woman says to the NY woman, "Where you from?"
The NYC woman replies snootily, "I'm *from* where we don't end a
sentence with a preposition." The Southern woman thinks about that a
moment, then says, "Okay, so where are you from, bitch?"

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2013 12:56 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:27:25 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Poor sentence structure, for sure!
>>>

>> Most people can figure out what he means by "good". Of course,
>> Sheldon is still learning how to speak English, which explains his
>> lack of comprehension.
>>

> Actually I was agreeing with Sheldon. Don't end a sentence with a
> preposition. "good for" is poor grammar.
>
> Here's a good old joke for everyone:
>
> Two women sitting in an airport. One is from the South, the other is from
> NYC. The Southern woman says to the NY woman, "Where you from?" The NYC
> woman replies snootily, "I'm *from* where we don't end a sentence with a
> preposition." The Southern woman thinks about that a moment, then says,
> "Okay, so where are you from, bitch?"

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

>Actually I was agreeing with Sheldon. Don't end a sentence with a
>preposition. "good for" is poor grammar.

Sometimes it's better (more clear) than the alternative.

Not this case, though.

A bunch of those rules (e.g., split infinitive) were attempts to
make English grammar more like Latin. They were arbitrary and
unworkable.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:26:20 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Actually I was agreeing with Sheldon. Don't end a sentence with a
> preposition. "good for" is poor grammar.

Q: What did he step in?
A: He stepped in bullshit.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...-a-preposition

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Q: What did he step in?
> A: He stepped in bullshit.
>
> http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...-a-preposition
>
> --

That site is clear and concise. I liked the top 10 myths.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:17:15 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:26:20 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> Actually I was agreeing with Sheldon. Don't end a sentence with a
>> preposition. "good for" is poor grammar.

>Q: What did he step in?
>A: He stepped in bullshit.

**** teachers like this are just one of the reasons why our HS
graduates can't read, can't write, can't do math, and why they can't
find *gainful* employment. And of course the main reason why young
folks can't find *gainful* employment is because they are deathly
ascared of persperation and calluses. Do you know that my plumber and
my electrician earn three times as much as your lawyer... and my
plumber/electrician *earns* his pay... your lawyer is a gonif.