cast iron cookie molds

Old 17-12-2005, 03:53 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

Default cast iron cookie molds

I have acquired two cast iron cookie molds.

These molds are cast iron and I assume that the cookie is to be baked in the
pan.

What kind of cookie dough should I use in these molds?

All the websites seem to point to molding the cookie in the mold and then
popping it out on to a cookie sheet and then baking.

thanks

Old 17-12-2005, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:53:46 GMT
"Cliff Hartle" wrote:

I have acquired two cast iron cookie molds.

These molds are cast iron and I assume that the cookie is to be baked in
the pan.

What kind of cookie dough should I use in these molds?
All the websites seem to point to molding the cookie in the mold and then
popping it out on to a cookie sheet and then baking.

I'm starting to wonder if there's any historical record of people
seriously using molds to make a batch of cookies.

Unless they forced teams of peasants to do it for them or something.

My mother had some ceramic cookie molds, and, well, i'm convinced that
they were intended to be fashionable kitchen decorating accessories.

Oh you can get recipes and instructions for making cookies with them,
and we tried it, but the dough was difficult to remove from the molds, and
damaged more often than not in the process, and on the whole the experience
was unrewarding and was not repeated.

But since your molds are cast iron - are you sure they're cookie molds?
Cast iron molds for quickbreads and muffins (and skivers, etc) were quite
common at one time, and there's hardly a Griswold collector alive who
doesn't have the #273 Crispy Corn Stick pan. I've sure got mine.

Pretty sure I've seen a transcription of the recipe from the catalog
somewhere on the web . . .

Old 17-12-2005, 08:06 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

I have not worked with cast iron molds. But I've used the clay kind and
they have similar directions. I have both baked the mold in the oven and/or
taken the dough out of the mold and baked on cookie sheet. Both work. I've
used my recipe for shortbread cookies. Wendy
I have acquired two cast iron cookie molds.

These molds are cast iron and I assume that the cookie is to be baked in

the
pan.

What kind of cookie dough should I use in these molds?

All the websites seem to point to molding the cookie in the mold and then
popping it out on to a cookie sheet and then baking.

thanks

then reply to the confirmation request.

12/13/2005

Old 18-12-2005, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I have acquired two cast iron cookie molds.

I have some cookie irons. They can be used to make pizzelle or krumkake
cookies. The cookies are very thin and frequently are formed into cone
or tube shapes while still warm. After they have cooled, they are firm
and hold their shape. Then, just before serving, sometimes they are
filled. Also, there are goro irons and another (that I have forgotten
the name of) which makes cookies that look like thin waffles.

Do any of these sound like those you have?

Old 18-12-2005, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

They are more like this.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 18-12-2005, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:28:58 GMT
"Cliff Hartle" wrote:

They are more like this.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Right, see, that's not a cookie mold.

It's a corn muffin pan.
Old 19-12-2005, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

The box it came in said cookie mold and showed pictures of cookies.

There were no recipes enclosed and its probably 10 years old.

Here is a link to pictures of the molds.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeocrz3/cookiemolds/id4.html

"Eric Jorgensen" wrote in message

Old 20-12-2005, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

Other than the usual molds for corn sticks, I have two molds -- one is
shells, and the other is bears. I have used both with success for both
cornbread and for cake. Chocolate cake bears are adorable! I grease
the molds thoroughly before use, of course.

Old 20-12-2005, 03:39 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Usenet poster

I'm thinking of useing pound cake so they have some bulk.

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Other than the usual molds for corn sticks, I have two molds -- one is
shells, and the other is bears. I have used both with success for both
cornbread and for cake. Chocolate cake bears are adorable! I grease
the molds thoroughly before use, of course.

What exactly is seasoned cast iron? Randall Nortman Cooking Equipment 7 03-03-2006 12:16 AM
charbroil cast iron G Barbecue 22 08-12-2005 10:25 PM
Mark Bittman's Ode to Cast Iron Leila General Cooking 3 07-12-2005 04:52 PM
PING John Coleman: when was your cholesterol ever over 400?!] pearl Vegan 13 22-05-2004 05:25 PM
OLD cast iron? Bob Myers General Cooking 35 01-10-2003 02:10 PM