Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Raspberry Wine

Hi,

I've just made some Raspberry wine and almost followed Berry's recipe but
chucked in a litre of grape juice. He says it comes out very sweet, but
just had a taste and its as dry as dry can be. Already lovely in fact.

It had a very fast first fermentation (when the weather was hot) and I was
wondering if that had something to do with it. The only other variation was
that I used unrefined sugar.

I hope I can repeat the experience!

Tony

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tony wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just made some Raspberry wine and almost followed Berry's recipe but
> chucked in a litre of grape juice. He says it comes out very sweet, but
> just had a taste and its as dry as dry can be. Already lovely in fact.

You have to add sugar to it after the fermentation has stopped. Raspberry
wine is best if it is a bit sweet.

I use to make 2 or 3 batches of it every year. This year I have made one
with raspberry/raisin and one raspberry/figs.

> It had a very fast first fermentation (when the weather was hot) and I was
> wondering if that had something to do with it. The only other variation
> was that I used unrefined sugar.

Me too. Due to hot weather the fermentation is going fast. Normally I use
about 70-90 days before the fermentation is over. This year... maybe down
to 50 days.

> I hope I can repeat the experience!

You should. Wonderfull wine.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

darley wine tasting!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

blurb
ralc wrote:
> darley wine tasting!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 8/18/2006 3:01 PM, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
[snipped]
> Tony wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've just made some Raspberry wine and almost followed Berry's recipe but
>>chucked in a litre of grape juice. He says it comes out very sweet, but
>>just had a taste and its as dry as dry can be. Already lovely in fact.

> You have to add sugar to it after the fermentation has stopped. Raspberry
> wine is best if it is a bit sweet.
>
> I use to make 2 or 3 batches of it every year. This year I have made one
> with raspberry/raisin and one raspberry/figs.

Jørn,

I'd love to hear how your fig blend turned out! I make a fig mead each
year with fruit from my in-law's trees, but it's such a strong flavor,
and a bit unique as well, that I've never thought to blend it with
anything else. Could you share your recipe?
My yearly fig mead is typically 12 lbs fresh figs and about 8lbs of
honey, fermented dry. This is a 5 gallon batch. In recent years I've
taken to splitting the batch at bottling and sweetening a portion of it,
to better appeal to the sweet mead lovers amongst my friends.

Cheers,
Ken

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

mail box wrote:

> On 8/18/2006 3:01 PM, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> [snipped]
>> Tony wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've just made some Raspberry wine and almost followed Berry's recipe but
>>>chucked in a litre of grape juice. He says it comes out very sweet, but
>>>just had a taste and its as dry as dry can be. Already lovely in fact.

>> You have to add sugar to it after the fermentation has stopped. Raspberry
>> wine is best if it is a bit sweet.
>>
>> I use to make 2 or 3 batches of it every year. This year I have made one
>> with raspberry/raisin and one raspberry/figs.

> Jørn,
>
> I'd love to hear how your fig blend turned out! I make a fig mead each
> year with fruit from my in-law's trees, but it's such a strong flavor,
> and a bit unique as well, that I've never thought to blend it with
> anything else. Could you share your recipe?
> My yearly fig mead is typically 12 lbs fresh figs and about 8lbs of
> honey, fermented dry. This is a 5 gallon batch. In recent years I've
> taken to splitting the batch at bottling and sweetening a portion of it,
> to better appeal to the sweet mead lovers amongst my friends.

I have made a rasberry/figs before and it turn out to be a bit 'lighter'
both in color and in taste. I have asked other if they can tell what I have
added to the rasberry. Some have guessed figs and some can't tell.

I got a web-page with recipies, but those are in Norwegian. The
rasberry/figs this year is:

6 kg fresh rasberry and 2 kg dried figs. I cut the figs in parts and then I
have about 10 liter of boiling water of the rasberry/figs. I let this cool
down before adding nutrition, enzymes and yeast.
When the first part of the fermentation is over, I remove the rasberry and
figs from the must, have it [the must] on a 30 liters glass carboy, add 3
kg sugar and more water. After a while, when the fermentation is reduced, I
add 1.5 kg sugar and fill the carboy up with water to it's neck.

Normally it takes about 2-3 months before the fermentation is over. But this
year we have had a very warm summer, so the fermentation is almost
completed after 3 weeks.

This will be a dry wine. I use to add about 1/2 kg of sugar after it the
clearing, to make it a bit sweet.

raspberry wine? RichD Wine 2 01-08-2009 11:43 PM
raspberry wine? RichD Wine 9 21-05-2009 04:42 AM
Raspberry Wine beth.a.b Recipes (moderated) 0 01-02-2004 01:57 PM
raspberry wine advice Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 18 02-01-2004 11:55 PM
raspberry wine Robert Hanson Winemaking 17 11-11-2003 12:03 PM