Robert Hanson

Default raspberry wine

does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
waiting some attention.

Robert.

Negodki

"Robert Hanson" > wrote:

> does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
> for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
> waiting some attention.

The following is a recipe for an excellent blueberry wine. I think that you
should be able to substitute raspberries directly.

1.7 lbs. Frozen blueberries
1 gal Water
1.5 cups Concord juice
3.19 lbs. Sugar
3.5 tsp. Acid blend
1 tsp. / gal. DAP
1 tsp. / gal. K2S2O5 (on each racking)
1 packet Montrachet yeast
12 gm. / gal. French Oak chips

Crush the fruit in primary; add 1 gallon hot tap water, 1.5 cups Concord
juice, let cool to 85ºF (30ºC), add DAP, add sugar to 1.100, stir, adjust
acid to .60, stir, add K2S2O5, let sit for 7 hours, sprinkle yeast; place on
heating pad, cover loosely. Stir daily for five days. Strain and rack into
carboy, top up with water, and attach airlock. Rack in three weeks, and
every three months for one year. Bottle. Let age for at least one year.

Ray

Check the recipes for raspberry on Jack Keller's site.

Ray

"Robert Hanson" > wrote in message
> does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
> for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
> waiting some attention.
>

> Robert.

A.J. Rawls

Look here.. Jack Keller has recipes for mos fruit..

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/redrasp.asp

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:49:23 +0000, Robert Hanson
> wrote:

>does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
>for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
>waiting some attention.
>

>Robert.

J Dixon

Robert, 4 lbs of Raspberries should make you a gallon of wine. I would
follow one of Jack Keller's recipes as was suggested. A couple of helpful
points on the Raspberries for you though. If you have one use a nylon fine
straining bag to put the Raspberries in (a cleaning stocking could also
work). Try not to force the seeds through the bag my too much pressure.
After 5-7 days pull out the bag with the mushy contents and let it drip out
into the bucket. Dont wring it out or you will force the seeds through the
bag, and they are quite bitter and contribute what I think is a negative
quality to the wine. Also a bit of aging does Raspberry wonders to smooth
it out. HTH
John Dixon
"Robert Hanson" > wrote in message
> does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
> for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
> waiting some attention.
>

> Robert.

Robert Hanson

Thankyou for your help

robert.

J Dixon wrote:
> Robert, 4 lbs of Raspberries should make you a gallon of wine. I would
> follow one of Jack Keller's recipes as was suggested. A couple of helpful
> points on the Raspberries for you though. If you have one use a nylon fine
> straining bag to put the Raspberries in (a cleaning stocking could also
> work). Try not to force the seeds through the bag my too much pressure.
> After 5-7 days pull out the bag with the mushy contents and let it drip out
> into the bucket. Dont wring it out or you will force the seeds through the
> bag, and they are quite bitter and contribute what I think is a negative
> quality to the wine. Also a bit of aging does Raspberry wonders to smooth
> it out. HTH
> John Dixon
> "Robert Hanson" > wrote in message
>
>>does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
>>for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
>>waiting some attention.
>>

>>Robert.

Robert Hanson

Thankyou for your help

robert.

A.J. Rawls wrote:

> Look here.. Jack Keller has recipes for mos fruit..
>
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/redrasp.asp
>
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:49:23 +0000, Robert Hanson
> > wrote:
>

>>does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
>>for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
>>waiting some attention.
>>

>>Robert.

Robert Hanson

Thankyou for your help

robert.

Negodki wrote:

> "Robert Hanson" > wrote:
>

>>does anyone have a recipe for raspberry wine, i would be most grateful
>>for any information, as i have four pounds of them in the freezer
>>waiting some attention.

> The following is a recipe for an excellent blueberry wine. I think that you
> should be able to substitute raspberries directly.
>
> 1.7 lbs. Frozen blueberries
> 1 gal Water
> 1.5 cups Concord juice
> 3.19 lbs. Sugar
> 3.5 tsp. Acid blend
> 1 tsp. / gal. DAP
> 1 tsp. / gal. K2S2O5 (on each racking)
> 1 packet Montrachet yeast
> 12 gm. / gal. French Oak chips
>
> Crush the fruit in primary; add 1 gallon hot tap water, 1.5 cups Concord
> juice, let cool to 85ºF (30ºC), add DAP, add sugar to 1.100, stir, adjust
> acid to .60, stir, add K2S2O5, let sit for 7 hours, sprinkle yeast; place on
> heating pad, cover loosely. Stir daily for five days. Strain and rack into
> carboy, top up with water, and attach airlock. Rack in three weeks, and
> every three months for one year. Bottle. Let age for at least one year.

vincent p. norris

Why do you add Concord juice to your berry wine? Is it to add some
nutrient missing in other fruit?

I make blueberry and raspberry, elderberry, mulberry, and strawberry,
using only that fruit, with good results. (E.g., a gold medal at the
local AWS tasting a month ago for the blueberry, and missed a gold by
one point for the elderberry and .4 of a point for plum.)

(I do add tannin, pectic enzyme, etc. as needed.)

(And I recognize that a local AWS tasting is not quite the same as a
rating from the Wine Spectator.)

vince norris
Negodki

vincent p. norris > wrote:

> Why do you add Concord juice to your berry wine? Is it to add some
> nutrient missing in other fruit?

The Concord juice increases the vinosity of the wine. It helps it to
ferment, and it improves the body and flavour. There are many
nutrients (and combinations of nutrients) in grapes (and thus grape
juice and raisins) which do not occur in other fruits. Similarly, I
add Thompson juice to certain white fruit wines, and raisins to apple
wines. The addition of grape juice (or grape juice concentrate) is
very common in "country wine" recipes.

> I make blueberry and raspberry, elderberry, mulberry, and strawberry,
> using only that fruit, with good results. (E.g., a gold medal at the
> local AWS tasting a month ago for the blueberry, and missed a gold by
> one point for the elderberry and .4 of a point for plum.)....
> (And I recognize that a local AWS tasting is not quite the same as a
> rating from the Wine Spectator.)

There are many different ways to make good wine. I do NOT enter
competitions. I make wine to please my palette, not a panel of
"experts". However, when I do share my wines with others, including
"experts", the comments I receive are usually in the nature of "That's
the best .... wine I have ever tasted!" This is more satisfying to me
than any gold medal.

vincent p. norris

>There are many nutrients (and combinations of nutrients) in grapes (and thus grape
>juice and raisins) which do not occur in other fruits.

That's quite true. I add yeast nutrient to solve that problem.

> I do NOT enter competitions.

I enter only the local AWS chapter annual tasting. It would be rather
anti-social not to enter with my fellow members. In fact, we organized
the chapter primarily to assist one another, and blind tastings are a
good way to do it.

> However, when I do share my wines with others...

Yes, I think all winemakers do. But I never take compliments
literally; people try to be kind, rather than brutally truthful.
Blindfold tastings are better to get an honest appraisal. I guess
that's another reason I enter the tastings.

vince norris

Negodki

> I add yeast nutrient to solve that problem.

If yeast "nutrient" provided everything present in grapes (and lacking in
other fruits), we wouldn't need grapes. Yeast nutrient provides organic
chemicals which make the yeast thrive. It does not provide everything
present in grapes which is absent in other fruits. It is simpler to add some
grape juice [concentrate] than to try to reproduce all that which nature
does so well. As I stated earlier, there are many diverse methods of making
good wine.

> Yes, I think all winemakers do. But I never take compliments
> literally; people try to be kind, rather than brutally truthful.
> Blindfold tastings are better to get an honest appraisal. I guess
> that's another reason I enter the tastings.

I don't take compliments literally, but I do take critical evaluation to
heart.. My friends are brutally honest. If they didn't like it, they would
say so. And they don't give praise lightly.

The point is/was: I add Concord juice in the recipe I posted. The results
are favorable. You don't add Concord juice. The results are favorable. I
don't require a gold medal to know my wine is good. Is it better than yours?
Who cares?

vincent p. norris

>I don't require a gold medal to know my wine is good. Is it better than yours?

I wasn't trying to imply my wine is better than yours; I was just
asking you for your rationale for adding concord juice to fruit wine.

I'm always willing to learn something new, and may try that next fall.

>Who cares?

Not I!

vince norris
Negodki

Jack Schmidling" > wrote:
> I have not read all the articles in this thread but I am working on my

first
> raspberry wine. We usually make jam with them but still have some left

from
> last year so I thought I would give it a try.
> I can not think of a single reason
> for adding grape juice to this wine. The raspberry flavor is so intense

and
> wonderful that I would only think it a loss to dilute it.
> This is truly a unique and lovely wine and needs nothing but water and

sugar
> to help it along.

It's always advisable to read "all the articles" in a thread before
commenting. Avoids foot-in-mouth disease. [If your newsgroup reader does not
provide "back issues", they may be viewed at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.winemaking.]

1) The original poster asked for a raspberry wine recipe. I gave them a
successful blueberry wine recipe, and suggested that --- in my opinion ---
one could substitute raspberries for blueberries, and use basically the same
recipe. I did NOT suggest that this was the only possible recipe, or that it
was superior to all others.

2) Vincent asked why I included grape juice in the recipe, and noted that he
had won several gold medals without using grape juice.

3) I explained the function of the grape juice, noting that it is a common
ingredient in "country" (i.e. non-grape) wines. I also noted that --- for
me --- winning competitions is not the goal, but rather producing a wine
that I and those with whom I share enjoy. And that's what I do.

4) Making jam is quite different from making wine, and the flavours and
textures one expects in the two are quite dissimilar.

5) Since this is your "first raspberry wine", I don't think you are in a
position to judge whether or not the addition of grape juice to the must
would enhance or detract from the end result.

6) As I've stated 4 times in this thread, there are many ways to make
excellent wines, and ALL of them are good.

Rene

Bloody hell negodki, you're getting touchy.

Anyway Jack, the flavour of raspberry is so strong, that it is often
used to give other wines an extra flavour, or bouquet. A pure
raspberry wine imho is very nice when made of 1-1.5 kg per 4.5 l wine
at the most. It can be given more body with grape concentrate as the
total fruit content is quite low. Everybody decides for themselves.

Rene.

"Negodki" > wrote in message >...
> Jack Schmidling" > wrote:
> > I have not read all the articles in this thread but I am working on my

> first
> > raspberry wine. We usually make jam with them but still have some left

> from
> > last year so I thought I would give it a try.
> > I can not think of a single reason
> > for adding grape juice to this wine. The raspberry flavor is so intense

> and
> > wonderful that I would only think it a loss to dilute it.
> > This is truly a unique and lovely wine and needs nothing but water and

> sugar
> > to help it along.

> It's always advisable to read "all the articles" in a thread before
> commenting. Avoids foot-in-mouth disease. [If your newsgroup reader does not
> provide "back issues", they may be viewed at
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.winemaking.]
>
> 1) The original poster asked for a raspberry wine recipe. I gave them a
> successful blueberry wine recipe, and suggested that --- in my opinion ---
> one could substitute raspberries for blueberries, and use basically the same
> recipe. I did NOT suggest that this was the only possible recipe, or that it
> was superior to all others.
>
> 2) Vincent asked why I included grape juice in the recipe, and noted that he
> had won several gold medals without using grape juice.
>
> 3) I explained the function of the grape juice, noting that it is a common
> ingredient in "country" (i.e. non-grape) wines. I also noted that --- for
> me --- winning competitions is not the goal, but rather producing a wine
> that I and those with whom I share enjoy. And that's what I do.
>
> 4) Making jam is quite different from making wine, and the flavours and
> textures one expects in the two are quite dissimilar.
>
> 5) Since this is your "first raspberry wine", I don't think you are in a
> position to judge whether or not the addition of grape juice to the must
> would enhance or detract from the end result.
>
> 6) As I've stated 4 times in this thread, there are many ways to make
> excellent wines, and ALL of them are good.

William Frazier

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote "the flavour of raspberry is so strong, that it is
often
used to give other wines an extra flavour, or bouquet. A pure raspberry wine
imho is very nice when made of 1-1.5 kg per 4.5 l wine at the most. It can
be
given more body with grape concentrate as the total fruit content is quite
low.
Everybody decides for themselves. I also add 2 kg black currant and 2 kg
raisins to a 30 liter batch. Make the wine much better than pure raspberry
wine."

I've never made a raspberry wine but I judged 9 black raspberry wines this
last weekend at the Greater Kansas City Cellarmaster's wine contest. Quite
a few of these wines contained a portion of grape juice/wine in the mix.
IMO
the only wines that actually smelled like raspberries, tasted like
raspberries,
and had the tartness that I associate with raspberries, were the pure
raspberry
versions. Most all of the wines were nicely made and very drinkable. But
if
it's raspberry you're after I think it's better to be a purest.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

Greg Cook

On 11/10/03 10:21 PM, in article 3fb06423$0$6953$afc38c87@, "Jack
Schmidling" > wrote:

> "Rene" >
>
>> A pure
>> raspberry wine imho is very nice when made of 1-1.5 kg per 4.5 l wine
>> at the most........

> What do those numbers represent? 4.51 what of wine?

I believe he meant 4.5 liters.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

raspberry wine? RichD Wine 2 01-08-2009 11:43 PM
raspberry wine? RichD Wine 9 21-05-2009 04:42 AM
Raspberry Wine Tony Winemaking 5 29-08-2006 08:38 AM
Raspberry Wine beth.a.b Recipes (moderated) 0 01-02-2004 02:57 PM
raspberry wine advice Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 18 03-01-2004 12:55 AM