Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

beth.a.b

Default Raspberry Wine

I have had these recipes for awhile, not sure where they came from.

Raspberry Wine

(23 liters)

18 lb. Red Raspberries (store bought)
2.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2.5 tsp Yeast energizer
2.0 tsp Acid Blend
2.5 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Grape Tannin
3 cans frozen concentrated apple juice
6-8 lb. Sugar (to bring sg up to 1.090)
1 packet Lavelin 1118 Yeast (I think this is the correct number)

I checked the acid on this, and it worked out to roughly 6.7%, assuming
it did the acid titration right (I just bought the kit a little while
ago)
The problem with raspberry wine is getting rid of the seeds. I read a
post some time back explaining how the raspberry seeds can give the wine
off flavours if left in the wine for extended periods. I used the
following procedure.

Freeze and thaw berries. Mash berries in a bucket and add pectin enzyme.
Wait two days then remove juice from pulp (this is the difficult part).
To do this, I scooped the pulp into cheese cloth and tied it up in bags.
The 18 1bs of berries required about 6 1.5'x1.5' cheeze cloth squares
wrapped up. I then squeezed most of the juice from the pulp (don't throw
the pulp away yet).

Add the rest of ingredients and bring sg up to 1.090 with sugar. Add
yeast AND pulp bags to the must. While the must is fermenting over the
next 5 days, squeeze pulp bags daily to remove extra flavour and colour
from pulp. Remove pulp bags (squeeze out wine) and rack when gravity has
dipped to 1.005 or less.

Then, you can rack every three weeks until clear (or follow whatever
procedure you normally follow). I fined with gelatin last week to remove
most of the extra yeast and the wine is quite clear now.

The wine is quite nice now, if you like raspberries. The wine has a nice
raspberry flavour but it isn't too overwhelming. I'll probably bottle
soon so I can start a batch of blueberry wine.
Specifics: OG: 1.090

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

raspberry wine? RichD Wine 2 01-08-2009 11:43 PM
raspberry wine? RichD Wine 9 21-05-2009 04:42 AM
Raspberry Wine Tony Winemaking 5 29-08-2006 08:38 AM
raspberry wine advice Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 18 02-01-2004 11:55 PM
raspberry wine Robert Hanson Winemaking 17 11-11-2003 12:03 PM