Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM
DAve Allison

Default Cranberry Fruit Wine Base -

Ok, so I'm not ready yet to crush my own fruit. Forgive me. I have
successfully done 27 bottles of Shiraz from a wine kit, and the Pinot
Noir is ready for stage 2. So as my primary fermentor is empty, I
started wondering around and ended up with Cranberry Fruit Wine Base
from Homebrew Heaven. 96 ounces makes 5 gallons.
http://www.homebrewheaven.com/

What I don't know - I have a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make 5 gallons in
it, and all will work out? Or should I buy 2 wine bases, and use 1 1/6
of them to fill the 6 gallons up? Any thoughts?

My neighbor is giving me 4-5 pounds of figs soon, so that will be my
real first experiment. Using Jack Keller's website for recipes. I have a
2 gallon primary and 1 gallon carboy ready to go.

Again, you'all are just great for offering suggestions. It helps us
novices.

Learned a lot in this forum,
DAve

Old 09-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Ray Calvert

For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6 gallon
carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you rack it to bulk
storage is where you will have to decide what to do. You will need to put
it in something that is close to it's volume. Probably get some one gallon
jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.

Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be overpowering by
itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons by adding 2 cans of
frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more than that) in a gallon of
water to make up the 6th gallon. This would add some vinuosity and slightly
cut the sharpness of the cranberry without distracting from the cranberry
character. Just a thought.

Ray

Old 09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
DAve Allison

Thanks, Ray, for the ideas.
Actually, I am hoping to keep the cranberry without grapes and then mix
later if I have to. Maybe I'll do the 3 gallon and 2 one gallon thing. I
don't plan on using until Thanksgiving 2006.
this helps. DAve

Old 10-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Marc

Hello

On a different note about cranberry, I made a gallon of
cranberry-pomegranate wine a year ago and it shows to be promising. Yummy!

Marc

Old 11-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Doug

Dave -
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldn't it be simpler
to just buy a 5-gallon carboy? I have some of each -- I use the
6-gallon size for kits, and the 5-gallon size for the 5-gallon pails of
frozen juice from Brehm, as well as the occasional batch of fruit wine.
That makes more sense to me than buying a second tin of cranberry, and
using just a small part of it. It may be possible to be too rich or
too thin (not that I'm at risk for either) but you can't have too many
carboys!

Doug

Old 26-09-2005, 09:41 PM
DAve Allison

I have started the cranberry wine from 2 - 96 oz cans of cranberries
(juice and fruit) and making 6 gallons (doubled the 3 gallon recipe on
the can). I added the two white grape concentrate cans as suggested
below. The primary fermenter is bubbling nicely.
I noticed in the instructions when the specific gravity reaches 1.010 or
1.000 (originally at 1.100 and now in 4 days down to 1.080) I am to add
6 tsp Bisulfite solution (6 tsp Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water).
Reading Jack's website, it appears potassium metabisulfite works just as
well, and I have that. Any one know if you use the same proportions? 6
teaspoons just like the Sodium bisulfite?
I think what I'm doing in this step is stopping the fermenting process.
Am I correct in that thinking?

learning so fast I'm afraid my head will burst. thanks for any insights.
DAve

Old 26-09-2005, 09:45 PM
DAve Allison

I bought into your thinking. Soon I will have more carboys than the
local store. smile. thanks.

Old 27-09-2005, 04:26 AM
A. J. Rawls

I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
gallons of potassium metabisulfite is 1/4 tsp. Any more than that may
render your wine undrinkable.

Old 27-09-2005, 05:56 AM
A. J. Rawls

I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
gallons of wine is 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite. Any more than

Old 27-09-2005, 12:29 PM
DAve Allison

Here is the original 3 gallon recipe:
3 gallon recipe (fuller flavor and body)
1 - 96 oz. can Cranberry fruit wine base product
3 ½ cans warm water (2.6 gallon)
6 lbs. white table sugar
2 ½ tsp. Yeast nutrient
1 tsp. Pectic enzyme
1 can, 12 oz. white grape concentrate
3 tsp. Bisulfite solution *dissolve 3 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup
of water
1 pk. Red Star Premier Cuvee wine yeast
1 ½ tsp. Potassium sorbate to stabilize

I created a 6 gallon by doubling most items.
2 - 96 oz. cans Cranberry fruit wine base product
4 cans warm water (then fill when berries removed or in carboy)
11 lbs. white table sugar
4 tsp. Yeast nutrient
2 tsp. Pectic enzyme
2 cans, 12 oz, white grape concentrate
6 tsp. Bisulfite solution *6 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water
******this is what I want to use potassium metabisulfite instead********
1 pk. Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
3 tsp. Potassium sorbate to stablize

Instructions on the juice can:
Winemaking Process
1. Sanitize all equipment and utensils with bisulfite solution
2. Put straining bag in fermenter, add fruit and tie off bag
3. Add all ingredients above line and stir well to make sure sugar is
dissolved
4. Cover with a damp cloth or fine mesh fabric and let sit over night to
allow SO2 to be released.
5. Sprinkle yeast on top of must. Temperature should be between 70 and 80.
6. Next day, gently stir top half of “must” mindful not to stir sediment
at bottom. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4-5 days)
7. When gravity reaches 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain
juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack “must” into secondary vessel, top
up with water to minimize air space. Attach fermentation lock.
8. Rack wine again in 3-4 weeks when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1
tsp bisulfite solution per gallon of must.
9. After wine is clear (2-3 months) stabilize to prevent renewed
fermentation, sweeten to taste if too dry. Enhance flavor and aroma with
natural fruit flavor at this time if desired. Bottle.
10. Wine can be consumed at this point, but will benefit with aging of
6-12 months.

Ray Calvert wrote:

For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6
gallon carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you
rack it to bulk storage is where you will have to decide what to do.
You will need to put it in something that is close to it's volume.
Probably get some one gallon jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.

Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be
overpowering by itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons
by adding 2 cans of frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more
than that) in a gallon of water to make up the 6th gallon. This would
add some vinuosity and slightly cut the sharpness of the cranberry
without distracting from the cranberry character. Just a thought.

Ray

t...

Old 27-09-2005, 02:39 PM
A. J. Rawls

Okay... Now it makes sense. You use the sulfite solution to
sanitize. I cannot see what is above the line but use 1/4 tsp of
potassium metabisulfite if you actually add it to the Must/Wine.

Ray Calvert wrote:

For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6
gallon carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you
rack it to bulk storage is where you will have to decide what to do.
You will need to put it in something that is close to it's volume.
Probably get some one gallon jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.

Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be
overpowering by itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons
by adding 2 cans of frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more
than that) in a gallon of water to make up the 6th gallon. This would
add some vinuosity and slightly cut the sharpness of the cranberry
without distracting from the cranberry character. Just a thought.

Ray

et...

Old 27-09-2005, 02:47 PM
DAve Allison

wow. thanks. 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons! I'd have messed up the must good
with 6 tsp!
The step 9 - "stablize to prevent renewed fermentation" - is there a
chemical needed here? It says to stablize, but doesn't say how. I
thought the 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite was to stop fermentation.

(sorry for so many questions, I have read much of Jacks' website and the
websites of the winemaking retailer I purchase from. Just amazed at the
winemaking process - the art of it)
DAve

Ray Calvert wrote:

For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6
gallon carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you
rack it to bulk storage is where you will have to decide what to do.
You will need to put it in something that is close to it's volume.
Probably get some one gallon jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.

Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be
overpowering by itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons
by adding 2 cans of frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more
than that) in a gallon of water to make up the 6th gallon. This would
add some vinuosity and slightly cut the sharpness of the cranberry
without distracting from the cranberry character. Just a thought.

Ray

. net...

Old 27-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Joel Sprague

You need both the Pot Meta AND Potassium Sorbate to stabilize the wine.
Just using Pot meta won't stabilize it.

I don't remember proprotions off the top of my head though.

Joel

Old 27-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Ray Calvert

One other comment, commercial wineries are not allowed to use Sodium
Bisulfite as a wine addative. The must use Potasium Bisulfite. The
difference is that we really do not need to add more Sodium to our diet.
Sodium Bisulfite is a little cheaper but when you are only using 1/4 tsp per
5 gallons that really is irrelevant. But you may want to keep the Sodium
Bisulfite around for sanitizing. They both work but it is cheaper.

Ray

Old 27-09-2005, 06:28 PM
DAve Allison

Thanks, Joel and Ray. I am much smarter now. I am off to find proportion
of Sorbate i will need. thanks to all.

DAve