DAve Allison

Default Cranberry Fruit Wine Base -

Ok, so I'm not ready yet to crush my own fruit. Forgive me. I have
successfully done 27 bottles of Shiraz from a wine kit, and the Pinot
Noir is ready for stage 2. So as my primary fermentor is empty, I
started wondering around and ended up with Cranberry Fruit Wine Base
from Homebrew Heaven. 96 ounces makes 5 gallons.
http://www.homebrewheaven.com/

What I don't know - I have a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make 5 gallons in
it, and all will work out? Or should I buy 2 wine bases, and use 1 1/6
of them to fill the 6 gallons up? Any thoughts?

My neighbor is giving me 4-5 pounds of figs soon, so that will be my
real first experiment. Using Jack Keller's website for recipes. I have a
2 gallon primary and 1 gallon carboy ready to go.

Again, you'all are just great for offering suggestions. It helps us
novices.

Learned a lot in this forum,
DAve
Ray Calvert

For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6 gallon
carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you rack it to bulk
storage is where you will have to decide what to do. You will need to put
it in something that is close to it's volume. Probably get some one gallon
jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.

Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be overpowering by
itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons by adding 2 cans of
frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more than that) in a gallon of
water to make up the 6th gallon. This would add some vinuosity and slightly
cut the sharpness of the cranberry without distracting from the cranberry
character. Just a thought.

Ray

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> Ok, so I'm not ready yet to crush my own fruit. Forgive me. I have
> successfully done 27 bottles of Shiraz from a wine kit, and the Pinot Noir
> is ready for stage 2. So as my primary fermentor is empty, I started
> wondering around and ended up with Cranberry Fruit Wine Base from Homebrew
> Heaven. 96 ounces makes 5 gallons. http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
>
> What I don't know - I have a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make 5 gallons in it,
> and all will work out? Or should I buy 2 wine bases, and use 1 1/6 of them
> to fill the 6 gallons up? Any thoughts?
>
> My neighbor is giving me 4-5 pounds of figs soon, so that will be my real
> first experiment. Using Jack Keller's website for recipes. I have a 2
> gallon primary and 1 gallon carboy ready to go.
>
> Again, you'all are just great for offering suggestions. It helps us
> novices.
>
> Learned a lot in this forum,
> DAve

DAve Allison

Thanks, Ray, for the ideas.
Actually, I am hoping to keep the cranberry without grapes and then mix
later if I have to. Maybe I'll do the 3 gallon and 2 one gallon thing. I
don't plan on using until Thanksgiving 2006.
this helps. DAve

Ray Calvert wrote:
> For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6 gallon
> carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you rack it to bulk
> storage is where you will have to decide what to do. You will need to put
> it in something that is close to it's volume. Probably get some one gallon
> jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.
>
> Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be overpowering by
> itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons by adding 2 cans of
> frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more than that) in a gallon of
> water to make up the 6th gallon. This would add some vinuosity and slightly
> cut the sharpness of the cranberry without distracting from the cranberry
> character. Just a thought.
>
> Ray
>
> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>
>>Ok, so I'm not ready yet to crush my own fruit. Forgive me. I have
>>successfully done 27 bottles of Shiraz from a wine kit, and the Pinot Noir
>>is ready for stage 2. So as my primary fermentor is empty, I started
>>wondering around and ended up with Cranberry Fruit Wine Base from Homebrew
>>Heaven. 96 ounces makes 5 gallons. http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
>>
>>What I don't know - I have a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make 5 gallons in it,
>>and all will work out? Or should I buy 2 wine bases, and use 1 1/6 of them
>>to fill the 6 gallons up? Any thoughts?
>>
>>My neighbor is giving me 4-5 pounds of figs soon, so that will be my real
>>first experiment. Using Jack Keller's website for recipes. I have a 2
>>gallon primary and 1 gallon carboy ready to go.
>>
>>Again, you'all are just great for offering suggestions. It helps us
>>novices.
>>
>>Learned a lot in this forum,
>>DAve

Marc

Hello

On a different note about cranberry, I made a gallon of
cranberry-pomegranate wine a year ago and it shows to be promising. Yummy!

Marc

"DAve Allison" > a écrit dans le message de
> Thanks, Ray, for the ideas.
> Actually, I am hoping to keep the cranberry without grapes and then mix
> later if I have to. Maybe I'll do the 3 gallon and 2 one gallon thing. I
> don't plan on using until Thanksgiving 2006.
> this helps. DAve
>
> Ray Calvert wrote:
> > For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6

gallon
> > carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you rack it to

bulk
> > storage is where you will have to decide what to do. You will need to

put
> > it in something that is close to it's volume. Probably get some one

gallon
> > jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.
> >
> > Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be overpowering

by
> > itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons by adding 2 cans

of
> > frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more than that) in a

gallon of
> > water to make up the 6th gallon. This would add some vinuosity and

slightly
> > cut the sharpness of the cranberry without distracting from the

cranberry
> > character. Just a thought.
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Ok, so I'm not ready yet to crush my own fruit. Forgive me. I have
> >>successfully done 27 bottles of Shiraz from a wine kit, and the Pinot

Noir
> >>is ready for stage 2. So as my primary fermentor is empty, I started
> >>wondering around and ended up with Cranberry Fruit Wine Base from

Homebrew
> >>Heaven. 96 ounces makes 5 gallons. http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
> >>
> >>What I don't know - I have a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make 5 gallons in

it,
> >>and all will work out? Or should I buy 2 wine bases, and use 1 1/6 of

them
> >>to fill the 6 gallons up? Any thoughts?
> >>
> >>My neighbor is giving me 4-5 pounds of figs soon, so that will be my

real
> >>first experiment. Using Jack Keller's website for recipes. I have a 2
> >>gallon primary and 1 gallon carboy ready to go.
> >>
> >>Again, you'all are just great for offering suggestions. It helps us
> >>novices.
> >>
> >>Learned a lot in this forum,
> >>DAve

Doug

Dave -
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldn't it be simpler
to just buy a 5-gallon carboy? I have some of each -- I use the
6-gallon size for kits, and the 5-gallon size for the 5-gallon pails of
frozen juice from Brehm, as well as the occasional batch of fruit wine.
That makes more sense to me than buying a second tin of cranberry, and
using just a small part of it. It may be possible to be too rich or
too thin (not that I'm at risk for either) but you can't have too many
carboys!

Doug

DAve Allison

I have started the cranberry wine from 2 - 96 oz cans of cranberries
(juice and fruit) and making 6 gallons (doubled the 3 gallon recipe on
the can). I added the two white grape concentrate cans as suggested
below. The primary fermenter is bubbling nicely.
I noticed in the instructions when the specific gravity reaches 1.010 or
1.000 (originally at 1.100 and now in 4 days down to 1.080) I am to add
6 tsp Bisulfite solution (6 tsp Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water).
Reading Jack's website, it appears potassium metabisulfite works just as
well, and I have that. Any one know if you use the same proportions? 6
teaspoons just like the Sodium bisulfite?
I think what I'm doing in this step is stopping the fermenting process.
Am I correct in that thinking?

learning so fast I'm afraid my head will burst. thanks for any insights.
DAve

DAve Allison wrote:
> Thanks, Ray, for the ideas.
> Actually, I am hoping to keep the cranberry without grapes and then mix
> later if I have to. Maybe I'll do the 3 gallon and 2 one gallon thing. I
> don't plan on using until Thanksgiving 2006.
> this helps. DAve
>
> Ray Calvert wrote:
>
>> For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6
>> gallon carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you
>> rack it to bulk storage is where you will have to decide what to do.
>> You will need to put it in something that is close to it's volume.
>> Probably get some one gallon jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.
>>
>> Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be
>> overpowering by itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons
>> by adding 2 cans of frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more
>> than that) in a gallon of water to make up the 6th gallon. This would
>> add some vinuosity and slightly cut the sharpness of the cranberry
>> without distracting from the cranberry character. Just a thought.
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Ok, so I'm not ready yet to crush my own fruit. Forgive me. I have
>>> successfully done 27 bottles of Shiraz from a wine kit, and the Pinot
>>> Noir is ready for stage 2. So as my primary fermentor is empty, I
>>> started wondering around and ended up with Cranberry Fruit Wine Base
>>> from Homebrew Heaven. 96 ounces makes 5 gallons.
>>> http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
>>>
>>> What I don't know - I have a 6 gallon carboy. Can I make 5 gallons in
>>> it, and all will work out? Or should I buy 2 wine bases, and use 1
>>> 1/6 of them to fill the 6 gallons up? Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> My neighbor is giving me 4-5 pounds of figs soon, so that will be my
>>> real first experiment. Using Jack Keller's website for recipes. I
>>> have a 2 gallon primary and 1 gallon carboy ready to go.
>>>
>>> Again, you'all are just great for offering suggestions. It helps us
>>> novices.
>>>
>>> Learned a lot in this forum,
>>> DAve

DAve Allison

I bought into your thinking. Soon I will have more carboys than the
local store. smile. thanks.

Doug wrote:
> Dave -
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldn't it be simpler
> to just buy a 5-gallon carboy? I have some of each -- I use the
> 6-gallon size for kits, and the 5-gallon size for the 5-gallon pails of
> frozen juice from Brehm, as well as the occasional batch of fruit wine.
> That makes more sense to me than buying a second tin of cranberry, and
> using just a small part of it. It may be possible to be too rich or
> too thin (not that I'm at risk for either) but you can't have too many
> carboys!
>
> Doug

A. J. Rawls

I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
gallons of potassium metabisulfite is 1/4 tsp. Any more than that may
render your wine undrinkable.

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:41:00 -0400, DAve Allison
> wrote:

>I have started the cranberry wine from 2 - 96 oz cans of cranberries
>(juice and fruit) and making 6 gallons (doubled the 3 gallon recipe on
>the can). I added the two white grape concentrate cans as suggested
>below. The primary fermenter is bubbling nicely.
>I noticed in the instructions when the specific gravity reaches 1.010 or
>1.000 (originally at 1.100 and now in 4 days down to 1.080) I am to add
>6 tsp Bisulfite solution (6 tsp Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water).
>Reading Jack's website, it appears potassium metabisulfite works just as
>well, and I have that. Any one know if you use the same proportions? 6
>teaspoons just like the Sodium bisulfite?
>I think what I'm doing in this step is stopping the fermenting process.
>Am I correct in that thinking?
>
>learning so fast I'm afraid my head will burst. thanks for any insights.
>DAve
>
>DAve Allison wrote:
>> Thanks, Ray, for the ideas.
>> Actually, I am hoping to keep the cranberry without grapes and then mix
>> later if I have to. Maybe I'll do the 3 gallon and 2 one gallon thing. I
>> don't plan on using until Thanksgiving 2006.
>> this helps. DAve
>>
>> Ray Calvert wrote:
>>
>>> For fermentation, there is no problem with fermenting 5 gal's in a 6
>>> gallon carboy. The head space will be filled with CO2. After you
>>> rack it to bulk storage is where you will have to decide what to do.
>>> You will need to put it in something that is close to it's volume.
>>> Probably get some one gallon jugs or a 3 and a couple of 1's.
>>>
>>> Another option: Cranberry makes a great wine but it can be
>>> overpowering by itself. You might consider making it up to 6 gallons
>>> by adding 2 cans of frozen Welch's Niagara white grape juice (not more
>>> than that) in a gallon of water to make up the 6th gallon. This would
>>> add some vinuosity and slightly cut the sharpness of the cranberry
>>> without distracting from the cranberry character. Just a thought.
>>>
>>> Ray

A. J. Rawls

I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
gallons of wine is 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite. Any more than
that may render your wine undrinkable.

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:41:00 -0400, DAve Allison
> wrote:
>
>>I have started the cranberry wine from 2 - 96 oz cans of cranberries
>>(juice and fruit) and making 6 gallons (doubled the 3 gallon recipe on
>>the can). I added the two white grape concentrate cans as suggested
>>below. The primary fermenter is bubbling nicely.
>>I noticed in the instructions when the specific gravity reaches 1.010 or
>>1.000 (originally at 1.100 and now in 4 days down to 1.080) I am to add
>>6 tsp Bisulfite solution (6 tsp Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water).
>>Reading Jack's website, it appears potassium metabisulfite works just as
>>well, and I have that. Any one know if you use the same proportions? 6
>>teaspoons just like the Sodium bisulfite?
>>I think what I'm doing in this step is stopping the fermenting process.
>>Am I correct in that thinking?
>>
>>learning so fast I'm afraid my head will burst. thanks for any insights.
>>DAve
>>
>>DAve Allison wrote:
>>> Thanks, Ray, for the ideas.
>>> Actually, I am hoping to keep the cranberry without grapes and then mix
>>> later if I have to. Maybe I'll do the 3 gallon and 2 one gallon thing. I
>>> don't plan on using until Thanksgiving 2006.
>>> this helps. DAve

DAve Allison

Here is the original 3 gallon recipe:
3 gallon recipe (fuller flavor and body)
1 - 96 oz. can Cranberry fruit wine base product
3 ½ cans warm water (2.6 gallon)
6 lbs. white table sugar
2 ½ tsp. Yeast nutrient
1 tsp. Pectic enzyme
1 can, 12 oz. white grape concentrate
3 tsp. Bisulfite solution *dissolve 3 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup
of water
1 pk. Red Star Premier Cuvee wine yeast
1 ½ tsp. Potassium sorbate to stabilize

I created a 6 gallon by doubling most items.
2 - 96 oz. cans Cranberry fruit wine base product
4 cans warm water (then fill when berries removed or in carboy)
11 lbs. white table sugar
4 tsp. Yeast nutrient
2 tsp. Pectic enzyme
2 cans, 12 oz, white grape concentrate
6 tsp. Bisulfite solution *6 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water
******this is what I want to use potassium metabisulfite instead********
1 pk. Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
3 tsp. Potassium sorbate to stablize

Instructions on the juice can:
Winemaking Process
1. Sanitize all equipment and utensils with bisulfite solution
2. Put straining bag in fermenter, add fruit and tie off bag
3. Add all ingredients above line and stir well to make sure sugar is
dissolved
4. Cover with a damp cloth or fine mesh fabric and let sit over night to
allow SO2 to be released.
5. Sprinkle yeast on top of must. Temperature should be between 70 and 80.
6. Next day, gently stir top half of “must” mindful not to stir sediment
at bottom. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4-5 days)
7. When gravity reaches 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain
juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack “must” into secondary vessel, top
up with water to minimize air space. Attach fermentation lock.
8. Rack wine again in 3-4 weeks when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1
tsp bisulfite solution per gallon of must.
9. After wine is clear (2-3 months) stabilize to prevent renewed
fermentation, sweeten to taste if too dry. Enhance flavor and aroma with
natural fruit flavor at this time if desired. Bottle.
10. Wine can be consumed at this point, but will benefit with aging of
6-12 months.

A. J. Rawls wrote:
> I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
> gallons of wine is 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite. Any more than
> that may render your wine undrinkable.
>
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:41:00 -0400, DAve Allison
> > wrote:
>
>>>I have started the cranberry wine from 2 - 96 oz cans of cranberries
>>>(juice and fruit) and making 6 gallons (doubled the 3 gallon recipe on
>>>the can). I added the two white grape concentrate cans as suggested
>>>below. The primary fermenter is bubbling nicely.
>>>I noticed in the instructions when the specific gravity reaches 1.010 or
>>>1.000 (originally at 1.100 and now in 4 days down to 1.080) I am to add
>>>6 tsp Bisulfite solution (6 tsp Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water).
>>>Reading Jack's website, it appears potassium metabisulfite works just as
>>>well, and I have that. Any one know if you use the same proportions? 6
>>>teaspoons just like the Sodium bisulfite?
>>>I think what I'm doing in this step is stopping the fermenting process.
>>>Am I correct in that thinking?
>>>
>>>learning so fast I'm afraid my head will burst. thanks for any insights.
>>>DAve

t...

> [...]

A. J. Rawls

Okay... Now it makes sense. You use the sulfite solution to
sanitize. I cannot see what is above the line but use 1/4 tsp of
potassium metabisulfite if you actually add it to the Must/Wine.

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:29:06 -0400, DAve Allison
> wrote:

>Here is the original 3 gallon recipe:
>3 gallon recipe (fuller flavor and body)
>1 - 96 oz. can Cranberry fruit wine base product
>3 ½ cans warm water (2.6 gallon)
>6 lbs. white table sugar
>2 ½ tsp. Yeast nutrient
>1 tsp. Pectic enzyme
>1 can, 12 oz. white grape concentrate
>3 tsp. Bisulfite solution *dissolve 3 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup
>of water

Use 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite

>1 pk. Red Star Premier Cuvee wine yeast
>1 ½ tsp. Potassium sorbate to stabilize
>
>I created a 6 gallon by doubling most items.
>2 - 96 oz. cans Cranberry fruit wine base product
>4 cans warm water (then fill when berries removed or in carboy)
>11 lbs. white table sugar
>4 tsp. Yeast nutrient
>2 tsp. Pectic enzyme
>2 cans, 12 oz, white grape concentrate
>6 tsp. Bisulfite solution *6 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water
>******this is what I want to use potassium metabisulfite instead********

Use 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite

>1 pk. Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
>3 tsp. Potassium sorbate to stablize
>
>Instructions on the juice can:
>Winemaking Process
>1. Sanitize all equipment and utensils with bisulfite solution
>2. Put straining bag in fermenter, add fruit and tie off bag
>3. Add all ingredients above line and stir well to make sure sugar is
>dissolved
>4. Cover with a damp cloth or fine mesh fabric and let sit over night to
>allow SO2 to be released.
>5. Sprinkle yeast on top of must. Temperature should be between 70 and 80.
>6. Next day, gently stir top half of “must” mindful not to stir sediment
>at bottom. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4-5 days)
>7. When gravity reaches 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain
>juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack “must” into secondary vessel, top
>up with water to minimize air space. Attach fermentation lock.
>8. Rack wine again in 3-4 weeks when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1
>tsp bisulfite solution per gallon of must.
>9. After wine is clear (2-3 months) stabilize to prevent renewed
>fermentation, sweeten to taste if too dry. Enhance flavor and aroma with
>natural fruit flavor at this time if desired. Bottle.
>10. Wine can be consumed at this point, but will benefit with aging of
>6-12 months.
>

>A. J. Rawls wrote:
>> I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
>> gallons of wine is 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite. Any more than
>> that may render your wine undrinkable.

et...

> [...]

DAve Allison

wow. thanks. 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons! I'd have messed up the must good
with 6 tsp!
The step 9 - "stablize to prevent renewed fermentation" - is there a
chemical needed here? It says to stablize, but doesn't say how. I
thought the 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite was to stop fermentation.

(sorry for so many questions, I have read much of Jacks' website and the
websites of the winemaking retailer I purchase from. Just amazed at the
winemaking process - the art of it)
DAve

A. J. Rawls wrote:
> Okay... Now it makes sense. You use the sulfite solution to
> sanitize. I cannot see what is above the line but use 1/4 tsp of
> potassium metabisulfite if you actually add it to the Must/Wine.
>

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:29:06 -0400, DAve Allison
> > wrote:
>

>>Here is the original 3 gallon recipe:
>>3 gallon recipe (fuller flavor and body)
>>1 - 96 oz. can Cranberry fruit wine base product
>>3 ½ cans warm water (2.6 gallon)
>>6 lbs. white table sugar
>>2 ½ tsp. Yeast nutrient
>>1 tsp. Pectic enzyme
>>1 can, 12 oz. white grape concentrate
>>3 tsp. Bisulfite solution *dissolve 3 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup
>>of water

> Use 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite
>

>>1 pk. Red Star Premier Cuvee wine yeast
>>1 ½ tsp. Potassium sorbate to stabilize
>>
>>I created a 6 gallon by doubling most items.
>>2 - 96 oz. cans Cranberry fruit wine base product
>>4 cans warm water (then fill when berries removed or in carboy)
>>11 lbs. white table sugar
>>4 tsp. Yeast nutrient
>>2 tsp. Pectic enzyme
>>2 cans, 12 oz, white grape concentrate
>>6 tsp. Bisulfite solution *6 tsp of Sodium Bisulfite in 1 cup of water
>>******this is what I want to use potassium metabisulfite instead********

> Use 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite
>

>>1 pk. Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
>>3 tsp. Potassium sorbate to stablize
>>
>>Instructions on the juice can:
>>Winemaking Process
>>1. Sanitize all equipment and utensils with bisulfite solution
>>2. Put straining bag in fermenter, add fruit and tie off bag
>>3. Add all ingredients above line and stir well to make sure sugar is
>>dissolved
>>4. Cover with a damp cloth or fine mesh fabric and let sit over night to
>>allow SO2 to be released.
>>5. Sprinkle yeast on top of must. Temperature should be between 70 and 80.
>>6. Next day, gently stir top half of “must” mindful not to stir sediment
>>at bottom. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4-5 days)
>>7. When gravity reaches 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain
>>juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack “must” into secondary vessel, top
>>up with water to minimize air space. Attach fermentation lock.
>>8. Rack wine again in 3-4 weeks when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1
>>tsp bisulfite solution per gallon of must.
>>9. After wine is clear (2-3 months) stabilize to prevent renewed
>>fermentation, sweeten to taste if too dry. Enhance flavor and aroma with
>>natural fruit flavor at this time if desired. Bottle.
>>10. Wine can be consumed at this point, but will benefit with aging of
>>6-12 months.
>>

>>A. J. Rawls wrote:
>>
>>>I would really like to see the recipe.. The normal dosage for 5 - 6
>>>gallons of wine is 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite. Any more than
>>>that may render your wine undrinkable.

. net...

> [...]

Joel Sprague

You need both the Pot Meta AND Potassium Sorbate to stabilize the wine.
Just using Pot meta won't stabilize it.

I don't remember proprotions off the top of my head though.

Joel

> [...]

> >>5. Sprinkle yeast on top of must. Temperature should be between 70 and

80.
> >>6. Next day, gently stir top half of “must” mindful not to stir sediment
> >>at bottom. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4-5

days)
> >>7. When gravity reaches 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain
> >>juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack “must” into secondary vessel, top
> >>up with water to minimize air space. Attach fermentation lock.
> >>8. Rack wine again in 3-4 weeks when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1
> >>tsp bisulfite solution per gallon of must.
> >>9. After wine is clear (2-3 months) stabilize to prevent renewed
> >>fermentation, sweeten to taste if too dry. Enhance flavor and aroma with
> >>natural fruit flavor at this time if desired. Bottle.
> >>10. Wine can be consumed at this point, but will benefit with aging of

Ray Calvert

One other comment, commercial wineries are not allowed to use Sodium
Bisulfite as a wine addative. The must use Potasium Bisulfite. The
difference is that we really do not need to add more Sodium to our diet.
Sodium Bisulfite is a little cheaper but when you are only using 1/4 tsp per
5 gallons that really is irrelevant. But you may want to keep the Sodium
Bisulfite around for sanitizing. They both work but it is cheaper.

Ray

DAve Allison

Thanks, Joel and Ray. I am much smarter now. I am off to find proportion
of Sorbate i will need. thanks to all.

DAve

Ray Calvert wrote:
> One other comment, commercial wineries are not allowed to use Sodium
> Bisulfite as a wine addative. The must use Potasium Bisulfite. The
> difference is that we really do not need to add more Sodium to our diet.
> Sodium Bisulfite is a little cheaper but when you are only using 1/4 tsp per
> 5 gallons that really is irrelevant. But you may want to keep the Sodium
> Bisulfite around for sanitizing. They both work but it is cheaper.
>
> Ray

Joel Sprague

Happy I could help.

And because user here is annoying me by continuing to whine, I took the time
to find the answer for you, as I'd rather spend my time helping you than
rushing down to help someone with an annoying habit of whining about stuff
that isn't work related.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp

Jack suggest 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate per gallon of wine. This needs to
be added with potassium metabisulfite(or sodium metabisulfite).

Joel

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Joel and Ray. I am much smarter now. I am off to find proportion
> of Sorbate i will need. thanks to all.
>
> DAve
>
> Ray Calvert wrote:
> > One other comment, commercial wineries are not allowed to use Sodium
> > Bisulfite as a wine addative. The must use Potasium Bisulfite. The
> > difference is that we really do not need to add more Sodium to our diet.
> > Sodium Bisulfite is a little cheaper but when you are only using 1/4 tsp

per
> > 5 gallons that really is irrelevant. But you may want to keep the

Sodium
> > Bisulfite around for sanitizing. They both work but it is cheaper.
> >
> > Ray

DAve Allison

Thanks so much, Joel. I am reading and re-reading the link below. Very
very helpful. I am now set. Gosh, this is cool to know what it is I am
doing. Not just doing kits!

the only whine I do is in the bottle. :*)
DAve

Joel Sprague wrote:
> Happy I could help.
>
> And because user here is annoying me by continuing to whine, I took the time
> to find the answer for you, as I'd rather spend my time helping you than
> rushing down to help someone with an annoying habit of whining about stuff
> that isn't work related.
>
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp
>
> Jack suggest 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate per gallon of wine. This needs to
> be added with potassium metabisulfite(or sodium metabisulfite).
>
> Joel
>
> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>
>>Thanks, Joel and Ray. I am much smarter now. I am off to find proportion
>>of Sorbate i will need. thanks to all.
>>
>>DAve
>>
>>Ray Calvert wrote:
>>
>>>One other comment, commercial wineries are not allowed to use Sodium
>>>Bisulfite as a wine addative. The must use Potasium Bisulfite. The
>>>difference is that we really do not need to add more Sodium to our diet.
>>>Sodium Bisulfite is a little cheaper but when you are only using 1/4 tsp

> per
>
>>>5 gallons that really is irrelevant. But you may want to keep the

> Sodium
>
>>>Bisulfite around for sanitizing. They both work but it is cheaper.
>>>
>>>Ray

Ray Calvert

One of the great things about this hoby (besides the wine that is) is that
after 30 years you will still be learning. It never gets old.

Ray

DAve Allison

That is true. I just realized I cut the oxygen off the must and the
yeast has stopped - the hydrometer reading is staying at 1.080 and not
dropping after 5 days (originally 1.100). I re-read the instructions to
find I was to cover with a cloth, not a lid. sigh. So I am using Jack's
website to "restart fermentation". I'll the newsgroup know how it goes.
smile.
DAve

Ray Calvert wrote:
> One of the great things about this hoby (besides the wine that is) is that
> after 30 years you will still be learning. It never gets old.
>
> Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
DAve Allison

Default Cranberry Fruit Wine Base - reStarting fermentation due to myerror in covering

Just an update to the Cranberry Fruit Wine Base. Got fermentation to
restart and it's now 1.000. After 2 additional months - it was real
clear so I stablized it. It didn't taste like cranberries, so I added 2
oz of Cranberry flavoring I bought at the local wine making shop. It's
better now. So I'll let it sit for 10 days (got a little cloudy from the
flavoring. hmm) before bottling.
Upon Ray's input, I'll let sit for 12-18 months before I get into it.
Just thought I'd update. If anyone else is doing cranberry would love to
hear what you did this season to it.
DAve

DAve Allison wrote:
> That is true. I just realized I cut the oxygen off the must and the
> yeast has stopped - the hydrometer reading is staying at 1.080 and not
> dropping after 5 days (originally 1.100). I re-read the instructions to
> find I was to cover with a cloth, not a lid. sigh. So I am using Jack's
> website to "restart fermentation". I'll the newsgroup know how it goes.
> smile.
> DAve
>

> Ray Calvert wrote:
>
>> One of the great things about this hoby (besides the wine that is) is
>> that after 30 years you will still be learning. It never gets old.
>>
>> Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

In general fruit wines do not taste like the fruit they were made from.
After all, does a cabernet taste like fresh grapes? Other fruit is the
same. A dry wine will taste like -- well -- wine. Now in many cases if you
add a bit of sugar back in after it is finished, some of the original fruit
taste will come back. Obviously the taste we associate with the fruit is
connected to the sweetness.

Ray

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
. ..
> Just an update to the Cranberry Fruit Wine Base. Got fermentation to
> restart and it's now 1.000. After 2 additional months - it was real clear
> so I stablized it. It didn't taste like cranberries, so I added 2 oz of
> Cranberry flavoring I bought at the local wine making shop. It's better
> now. So I'll let it sit for 10 days (got a little cloudy from the
> flavoring. hmm) before bottling.
> Upon Ray's input, I'll let sit for 12-18 months before I get into it.
> Just thought I'd update. If anyone else is doing cranberry would love to
> hear what you did this season to it.
> DAve
>
> DAve Allison wrote:
>> That is true. I just realized I cut the oxygen off the must and the yeast
>> has stopped - the hydrometer reading is staying at 1.080 and not dropping
>> after 5 days (originally 1.100). I re-read the instructions to find I was
>> to cover with a cloth, not a lid. sigh. So I am using Jack's website to
>> "restart fermentation". I'll the newsgroup know how it goes. smile.
>> DAve
>>

>> Ray Calvert wrote:
>>
>>> One of the great things about this hoby (besides the wine that is) is
>>> that after 30 years you will still be learning. It never gets old.
>>>
>>> Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
et...
> In general fruit wines do not taste like the fruit they were made from.
> After all, does a cabernet taste like fresh grapes? Other fruit is the
> same. A dry wine will taste like -- well -- wine. Now in many cases if
> you add a bit of sugar back in after it is finished, some of the original
> fruit taste will come back. Obviously the taste we associate with the
> fruit is connected to the sweetness.
>
> Ray

As a followup, if you ever have any so so dry wine that you are not crazy
about drinking, before pouring it down the drain, add several drops of
Stevia to a glass and then try. I have done this to some dry red that I was
about to pitch and after adding the Stevia, decided to drink it. I did not
make it sweet but added just enough to take some of the roughness off and it
brought back some fruit flavor.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
DAve Allison

Stevia -
I will seek some of this. Must be a wine shop purchase - i'm sure google
or froogle or ebay will deliver.
Sounds from other posts about this Stevia - like something i might need
in my box of chemicals. :*)
thanks. DAve

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>In general fruit wines do not taste like the fruit they were made from.
>>After all, does a cabernet taste like fresh grapes? Other fruit is the
>>same. A dry wine will taste like -- well -- wine. Now in many cases if
>>you add a bit of sugar back in after it is finished, some of the original
>>fruit taste will come back. Obviously the taste we associate with the
>>fruit is connected to the sweetness.
>>
>>Ray

> As a followup, if you ever have any so so dry wine that you are not crazy
> about drinking, before pouring it down the drain, add several drops of
> Stevia to a glass and then try. I have done this to some dry red that I was
> about to pitch and after adding the Stevia, decided to drink it. I did not
> make it sweet but added just enough to take some of the roughness off and it
> brought back some fruit flavor.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
tessamess

you can find stevia at health food stores

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jon Gilliam

You might want to taste the stevia in something else, first. To me, stevia
has a distinct (and unpleasant) aftertaste, but I've never tried mixing it
with wine. Glycerin is another option for adding some non-fermentable
sweetness to the wine, and is also (I believe I read) a chemical that is a
natural by-product of fermentation. Many of the "wine conditioners" sold at
homebrew stores are actually mostly glycerin.

Jon
[Check out my winemaking homepage
http://users.rcn.com/jcgilliam/Southeast_PA_Winemaker/!]

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> Stevia -
> I will seek some of this. Must be a wine shop purchase - i'm sure google
> or froogle or ebay will deliver.
> Sounds from other posts about this Stevia - like something i might need in
> my box of chemicals. :*)
> thanks. DAve
>
> Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
>> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>
>>>In general fruit wines do not taste like the fruit they were made from.
>>>After all, does a cabernet taste like fresh grapes? Other fruit is the
>>>same. A dry wine will taste like -- well -- wine. Now in many cases if
>>>you add a bit of sugar back in after it is finished, some of the original
>>>fruit taste will come back. Obviously the taste we associate with the
>>>fruit is connected to the sweetness.
>>>
>>>Ray

>> As a followup, if you ever have any so so dry wine that you are not crazy
>> about drinking, before pouring it down the drain, add several drops of
>> Stevia to a glass and then try. I have done this to some dry red that I
>> was about to pitch and after adding the Stevia, decided to drink it. I
>> did not make it sweet but added just enough to take some of the roughness
>> off and it brought back some fruit flavor.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
A. J. Rawls

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:00:00 -0500, DAve Allison
> wrote:

>Stevia -
>I will seek some of this. Must be a wine shop purchase - i'm sure google
>or froogle or ebay will deliver.
>Sounds from other posts about this Stevia - like something i might need
>in my box of chemicals. :*)
>thanks. DAve
>
>Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
>> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>
>>>In general fruit wines do not taste like the fruit they were made from.
>>>After all, does a cabernet taste like fresh grapes? Other fruit is the
>>>same. A dry wine will taste like -- well -- wine. Now in many cases if
>>>you add a bit of sugar back in after it is finished, some of the original
>>>fruit taste will come back. Obviously the taste we associate with the
>>>fruit is connected to the sweetness.
>>>
>>>Ray

>> As a followup, if you ever have any so so dry wine that you are not crazy
>> about drinking, before pouring it down the drain, add several drops of
>> Stevia to a glass and then try. I have done this to some dry red that I was
>> about to pitch and after adding the Stevia, decided to drink it. I did not
>> make it sweet but added just enough to take some of the roughness off and it
>> brought back some fruit flavor.

Try adding a bit of sugar. Few of my relative enjoy dry wines but
they enjoy most with the addition of a small amount of sugar.

You can make a solution of 2 parts sugar dissolved in one part water
or just add dry sugar.

Later,
A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tom S

"A. J. Rawls" > wrote in message
> Try adding a bit of sugar. Few of my relative enjoy dry wines but
> they enjoy most with the addition of a small amount of sugar.
>
> You can make a solution of 2 parts sugar dissolved in one part water
> or just add dry sugar.

If you're going to add sugar to wine be sure that you do so just before
_serving_ - not just before bottling!

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
A. J. Rawls

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:43:54 GMT, "Tom S" >
wrote:

>"A. J. Rawls" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Try adding a bit of sugar. Few of my relative enjoy dry wines but
>> they enjoy most with the addition of a small amount of sugar.
>>
>> You can make a solution of 2 parts sugar dissolved in one part water
>> or just add dry sugar.

>If you're going to add sugar to wine be sure that you do so just before
>_serving_ - not just before bottling!
>
>Tom S
>www.chateauburbank.com

I guess I was not clear on that. Add sugar to taste when you decant
or to your glass of wine.

A.J.