Jim

Default Bordeaux blend

I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
are the usual percentages that you would blend?
Ed Marks

You could also add Petit Verdot, Malbec, and Cabernet Franc (if you just
happen to have some lying around).

The Bordeaux blends that I've done are typically about 80% Merlot and 20%
Cab. It really depends what flavor profile you're after. I'd suggest going
to the web sites for wineries whose blends you like, and see what they do.
Use that as a starting point and experiment to see what works best with the
wines that you have. Many Meritage blends that we like are more Cab heavy
(70% cab, 20% merlot, with the other 10% made up of the 3 varietals I listed
above). We're going to try that kind of blend this year, while also
continuing to do our predominantly merlot based blend.

Ed

"Jim" > wrote in message
>I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

Inferno

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is not straight answer to your question, but if we keep
it simple the standard Bordeaux blend is Merlot, Cab Sauv, and Cab Franc
(there are also a few other varietals that are less popular like Malbec and
Petit Verdot, but like I just said lest keep it simple.) The base varietals
in Bordeaux are usually Merlot or Cab. Sauv., however, the base varietals
are usually dependant on the region for example: Pomerol and St. Emillion
usually base their wines with Merlot first, then Cab Sauv. then Cab. Franc,
however, a Medoc blend usually starts with a base of Cab. Sauv. Although you
need to keep in mind that all blends are dependent on vintage, the Chateau
and the vintner. The best blends are done by taste, if you Merlot has a lot
of fruit, and your Cab. has a lot of mineral and tannic flavours you might
want to do a few tests, 50% 50%, 75%-45% and so on so see how they balance
out...Plus if you have some Cab Franc then you would blend it according to
taste... I suggest inviting a few people to do a blending tasting because it
is always good to get a second opinion...

I hope this helps...

Shawn

"Jim" > wrote in message
> I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

Inferno

"Jim" > wrote in message
> I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

Paul E. Lehmann

Jim wrote:

> I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

This depends - even in the different subregions of Bordeaux in France.
You mention only two of the Bordeaux varieties. Cabernet Franc is also one
of the major contributors. From my experience (North Central Maryland -
Northern Virginia) I have found that a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc
usually produces the results I like the best. I used to think that
Cabernet Sauvignon would be the major component in the blend but this has
not been my experience with the grapes from this region. I do however add
a little (10% to 20% Cabernet Sauvignon) for the tannins and increased
aging potential. You will need test blend and to experiment with the
typical Bordeaux grapes to see what suits you the best.

Jim

Thank you all for the information I will be working with Washington
Cab/Sav and Merlot which I have and if I can I will look for Cab/Franc
this fall.
Tom S

"Jim" > wrote in message
>I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

There are no "usual percentages" for a Bordeaux blend. It's all done by
taste. If it's a Right Bank Bordeaux blend it'll be heavier on Merlot
and/or Cabernet Franc; Left Bank blends tend to be mostly Cabernet
Sauvignon, but may also contain Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petite
Verdot in varying amounts. Once again, let your palate be your guide.

Tom S

Tom S

"Jim" > wrote in message
>I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

There are no "usual percentages" for a Bordeaux blend. It's all done by
taste. If it's a Right Bank Bordeaux blend it'll be heavier on Merlot
and/or Cabernet Franc; Left Bank blends tend to be mostly Cabernet
Sauvignon, but may also contain Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petite
Verdot in varying amounts. Once again, let your palate be your guide.

Tom S

Joe Sallustio

Jim,
Paul and I are from the northern US; Cab Franc has the best chance of
living through our winters and does well from Virginia all the way up
into New York; Merlot and Cab Sauv are less used here.

Your weather in general and sun are better, keep that in mind. You
may not need the Cab Franc.

Most consider Merlot to be quicker maturing and use that as a guide
when adding it in a blend. You can play one (or many) off the others
to get what you want. If your base wines have similar sugar and acid
levels you will typically get more tannin out of Cab Sauv.

Joe

Glen Duff

Jim,

As others have said, there is no hard, fast rule. I have been making
barrel-aged Bordeaux for several years and have found a 60:40 blend of Cab
Sauv to Merlot to generally be quite good but, as others have said, it
depends on how long you are wanting/willing to age the wine. The more Cab
Sauv the higher the tanning and the longer the aging required. I try to
keep most of my Bordeaux for 3 years or longer before I drink much of it and
7-8 years is even better.

From what I've read the main varieties of grape in bordeaus are Cab Sauv and
Merlot and that one of the reasons for planting the "minor" varieties is to
have the insurance of diverse crops in the event of seasonal variations.

Glen Duff

"Jim" > wrote in message
>I have the Merlot and I will soon have the cab/sav. Can some one tell
> me what if anything else do I require for a Bordeaux blend and what
> are the usual percentages that you would blend?

Jim

Thank you for the information.
Considering I only have the Merlot and Cab/Sav at this time I will
start by blending 5% then 10% then 15% Merlot into the Cab/Sav and see
what effect that has. I have been told once you get beyond 15% you can
loose the taste of the base wine, which in my case is the Cab/Sav.
Joe Sallustio

It's not neccessarily a bad thing to lose a bit of the base blend, it's
not uncommon to blend 65% Cab with 35% Merlot, some feel it is
drinkable sooner that way and they are probably right. You won't go
wrong whatever you decide, don't get too hung up on thinking it
through. All wines evolve with time, most for the better.

joe

Jim wrote:
> Thank you for the information.
> Considering I only have the Merlot and Cab/Sav at this time I will
> start by blending 5% then 10% then 15% Merlot into the Cab/Sav and

see
> what effect that has. I have been told once you get beyond 15% you

can
> loose the taste of the base wine, which in my case is the Cab/Sav.

Jim

I have just started using a product from Scott Lab called
Gecoll Supra on my red wine. I am convinced as a fining agent it
removes harsh tannin and can make the wine drinkable sooner. I am
hoping to not have to wait a long time for my Bordeux.
Paul E. Lehmann

Jim wrote:

> I have just started using a product from Scott Lab called
> Gecoll Supra on my red wine. I am convinced as a fining agent it
> removes harsh tannin and can make the wine drinkable sooner. I am
> hoping to not have to wait a long time for my Bordeux.

I don't know why so many insist in naming their blends "Bordeaux".
I would really like to see a movement in this country (California included)
in which blends are named after the American Viticulture Area (AVA) in
which the grapes are grown.

I do not think the rules should be as stringent as they are in France where
AVAs are known as Appelations. For example, I do not think there should be
rules here in the US that state how many grapes can be grown per acre or
which grapes are "Official" grapes in the blend.

For example, I make a "Bordeaux type" wine but I name mine Catoctin because
I live in the Catoctin AVA in Maryland. The grapes are grown in my backyard
vineyard. I think that wineries should make the very best blend they can
from whatever grapes grow the best and make the best wine in their
particular AVA and NAME THE WINE AFTER THE AVA. In my opinion this would
foster competition among the various AVAs and allow wineries to use
whatever grape(s) they grow to make the very best from that particular AVA.

It is interesting that here in Maryland there is Winery named Catoctin even
though it is NOT in the Catoctin AVA. It is no where close to the Catoctin
AVA. I think in may be in the Linganore AVA. I was told my one of the
members of the Maryland Grape Growers Association that should I ever market
my wine, I could be in trouble for naming my wine after the AVA. I told
him I would welcome a legal challenge since I am not naming my "WINERY"
Catoctin but the blend itself. I think anyone else growing in the Catoctin
AVA, for example, should be able to make their own "Catoctin" wine. The
label would bear the name of the winery and this would be a way for
wineries to compete on an equal footing. It would also be a way for AVAs
to compete against other AVAs.
Joe Sallustio

Paul,
I just drove through your AVA Friday and stopped at Tarara in VA. The
wine was very good, better than a few Finger Lakes I've had. They grew
and made some great hybrids too.

The other issue you run into is no one but a wine maker or wine
enthusiast would have clue what an AVA is or what French American
hybrids are and why anyone would want to drink them. Often a wine
drinker find something they like and sticks to it. It seems like that
why so many northern wineries make a wide range and a lot of sweet
wine, it's easily accepted. Just my thoughts...

Joe

I think anyone else growing in the Catoctin
> AVA, for example, should be able to make their own "Catoctin" wine.

The
> label would bear the name of the winery and this would be a way for
> wineries to compete on an equal footing. It would also be a way for

AVAs
> to compete against other AVAs.

Frank Mirigliano

Joe Sallustio wrote:
<s>
Often a wine drinker find something they like and sticks to it. It
seems like that
> why so many northern wineries make a wide range and a lot of sweet
> wine, it's easily accepted. Just my thoughts...
>
> Joe

Joe

You've hit on one of the most frustrating things about our hobby. It
seems that many of our friends say they like wine but always seem to
have the same varietals and brands in their homes. That is, when it is
true that they like wine at all.

Adults seem to have an almost pathological need for familiarity. We
tend to want the "same old same old". How many people do you know who
only eat meat and potatos and have comsumed the same brand of beer for
decades? I'll bet it's more than a few. I wouldn't be surprised if
researchers find that there is a link between those that do not venture
outside their own comfort zones and alzheimers disease someday.

Children, on the other hand, thrive on variety. How many times have you
heard a child complain of boredom?

My guess is that winemakers and brewers would be less vulnerable to this
trap than others due to the nature of the hobby/craft.

Frank
Frank Mirigliano

Joe Sallustio wrote:
<s>
Often a wine drinker find something they like and sticks to it. It
seems like that
> why so many northern wineries make a wide range and a lot of sweet
> wine, it's easily accepted. Just my thoughts...
>
> Joe

Joe

You've hit on one of the most frustrating things about our hobby. It
seems that many of our friends say they like wine but always seem to
have the same varietals and brands in their homes. That is, when it is
true that they like wine at all.

Adults seem to have an almost pathological need for familiarity. We
tend to want the "same old same old". How many people do you know who
only eat meat and potatos and have comsumed the same brand of beer for
decades? I'll bet it's more than a few. I wouldn't be surprised if
researchers find that there is a link between those that do not venture
outside their own comfort zones and alzheimers disease someday.

Children, on the other hand, thrive on variety. How many times have you
heard a child complain of boredom?

My guess is that winemakers and brewers would be less vulnerable to this
trap than others due to the nature of the hobby/craft.

Frank
Paul E. Lehmann

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> Paul,
> I just drove through your AVA Friday and stopped at Tarara in VA. The
> wine was very good, better than a few Finger Lakes I've had. They grew
> and made some great hybrids too.

They do have some good wines and quite a few acres under vines. They can't
seem to keep their winemakers very long though. I worked part time two
years ago, for one of their former winemakers.

It is frustrating for me to see all the tourist go to Northern Virginia
because Maryland has not supported its wine industry like Virginia has
supported theirs. Supposedly Maryland legislatures have finally seen the
light and realize how many tourists dollars are going to the wineries in
Northern Virginia (and Pennsylvania) and are starting to realize that
Maryland has potential just as great. The state of Maryland has just about
completed a very comprehensive GIS map indicating the best growing areas in
Maryland taking into consideration the Terroir - soil, climate, etc.

> The other issue you run into is no one but a wine maker or wine
> enthusiast would have clue what an AVA is or what French American
> hybrids are and why anyone would want to drink them.

But yet people will buy wines labled with names like - exaggerating a little
- Red Neck Red - or some other equally unattractive name. I think the name
of the AVA would be more interesting and appropriate. Of course, Catoctin
is a more appealing name (to me at least) than the name of some of the
other AVAs. However, there is nothing to prevent growers from defining
their own AVA just like the French have subdivided some of their
Appellations and name their wines after these.

> Often a wine
> drinker find something they like and sticks to it. It seems like that
> why so many northern wineries frustating make a wide range and a lot of

sweetfrustating
> wine, it's easily accepted. Just my thoughts...

Sweet sells. I would probably fail at commercial winemaking because, like
many, I would make a wine I like to drink and not necessarily one or some
which would sell the most.

I worked at Windham Winery in Northern Virginia a couple years ago and the
owner was really ****ed because a nearby winery was selling many many more
cases of wine than he - because the other guy was making some sweet wines -
which flew off the shelves. The owner was not about to "Lower his
standards" to make a wine like that even though it sold better than his
"good wine".

This reminds me of the old joke: How does one make a small fortune in the
wine industry? Answer: Start out with a large one.

> Joe
>

> I think anyone else growing in the Catoctin
>> AVA, for example, should be able to make their own "Catoctin" wine.

> The
>> label would bear the name of the winery and this would be a way for
>> wineries to compete on an equal footing. It would also be a way for

> AVAs
>> to compete against other AVAs.

Paul E. Lehmann

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> [...]

I worked at Windham Winery in Northern Virginia a couple years ago and the
owner was really ****ed because a nearby winery was selling many many more
cases of wine than he - because the other guy was making some sweet wines -
which flew off the shelves. The owner was not about to "Lower his
standards" to make a wine like that even though it sold better than his
"good wine".

This reminds me of the old joke: How does one make a small fortune in the
wine industry? Answer: Start out with a large one.

> Joe
>

> I think anyone else growing in the Catoctin
>> AVA, for example, should be able to make their own "Catoctin" wine.

> The
>> label would bear the name of the winery and this would be a way for
>> wineries to compete on an equal footing. It would also be a way for

Paul E. Lehmann

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> [...]

I worked at Windham Winery in Northern Virginia a couple years ago and the
owner was really ****ed because a nearby winery was selling many many more
cases of wine than he - because the other guy was making some sweet wines -
which flew off the shelves. The owner was not about to "Lower his
standards" to make a wine like that even though it sold better than his
"good wine".

This reminds me of the old joke: How does one make a small fortune in the
wine industry? Answer: Start out with a large one.

> Joe
>

> I think anyone else growing in the Catoctin
>> AVA, for example, should be able to make their own "Catoctin" wine.

> The
>> label would bear the name of the winery and this would be a way for
>> wineries to compete on an equal footing. It would also be a way for

Joe Sallustio

....The owner was not about to "Lower his standards" to make a wine like
that even though it sold better than his "good wine".

That could kill him. William Merritt has one of the oldest farm
wineries in NY (up near Fredonia), and he told me if I decided to go
into business and was not prepared to make sweet wine I might want to
consider keeping my day job rather than opening a winery. I'm sure
he is right, it's just the reality of things.

Most people start out drinking sweet wines and gravitate to dryer over
time, if they are willing. Some stick to the same old same old as
Frank mentioned. I started making sweeter wines a few year back for my
daughters and can't keep it; I don't understand it but it's what
happens...

Joe

Frank Mirigliano

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> ...The owner was not about to "Lower his standards" to make a wine like
> that even though it sold better than his "good wine".
>
> That could kill him. William Merritt has one of the oldest farm
> wineries in NY (up near Fredonia), and he told me if I decided to go
> into business and was not prepared to make sweet wine I might want to
> consider keeping my day job rather than opening a winery. I'm sure
> he is right, it's just the reality of things.
>
> Most people start out drinking sweet wines and gravitate to dryer over
> time, if they are willing. Some stick to the same old same old as
> Frank mentioned. I started making sweeter wines a few year back for my
> daughters and can't keep it; I don't understand it but it's what
> happens...
>
> Joe

It's called Chateau Cashflow. If General Motors said that they didn't
want to lower their standards and then only sell Cadillacs they would be
out of business in short order. Unfortunately, (of fortunately, more
later) almost every business must target the largest part of the market.
And the largest part of almost every market is at entry level. In the
wine marketplace we are talking about people who are beginning wine
drinkers who want to drink sweet wines.

I grew up drinking my grandfather's dago red. It was alcoholic and bone
dry with a lot of tannin. At this late date I can't tell you if it was
"good" or "bad" tannin but I remember drinking decent bottles in college
and the tannin compared favorably. The average person who does not
drink wine only gets this much tannin when they're drinking iced tea.
That iced tea is most likely laced with a ton of sugar or artificial
sweetener too. I also remember the most of the guys in school would
turn up their noses at Pap's wine in favor of Boone's Farm and MD 2020.
It was incomprehensible then but I understand it now. They were not
raised in a wine using culture.

The US as a whole is not a wine using culture. You do not see Gallo
advertising on the game of the week like Anheuser Busch. You probably
never will. But every now and then somebody decides to try a glass of
wine. And since our culture doesn't as a rule use alcoholic beverages
as a beverage during the meal that glass of wine will probably be
consumed before a meal or in a bar alone. That's not the proper forum
for husky Syrah or a young Cabernet for the beginner. However, maybe a
nice Riesling or a white zin will work.

Everyone of those beginners who start on the sweet stuff, if they stick
with it long enough, will learn to love dry wines. Winemakers, pro and
amateur alike, should look at these people and their kool aid wines as
an opportunity to grow their markets and introduce them to the good
stuff. But if they are not in business because they don't want to make
and sell sweet wines they aren't doing anybody any favors.

People buy a lot more Mouton-Cadet than Mouton Rothschild. My guess is
that there is more money in the former.
Frank Mirigliano

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> [...]

never will. But every now and then somebody decides to try a glass of
wine. And since our culture doesn't as a rule use alcoholic beverages
as a beverage during the meal that glass of wine will probably be
consumed before a meal or in a bar alone. That's not the proper forum
for husky Syrah or a young Cabernet for the beginner. However, maybe a
nice Riesling or a white zin will work.

Everyone of those beginners who start on the sweet stuff, if they stick
with it long enough, will learn to love dry wines. Winemakers, pro and
amateur alike, should look at these people and their kool aid wines as
an opportunity to grow their markets and introduce them to the good
stuff. But if they are not in business because they don't want to make
and sell sweet wines they aren't doing anybody any favors.

People buy a lot more Mouton-Cadet than Mouton Rothschild. My guess is

75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 6 27-05-2010 08:30 PM
Acid Blend Shane[_2_] Winemaking 5 12-01-2009 11:22 PM
TN: Bordeaux blend from Tuscany DaleW Wine 1 01-04-2008 02:02 PM
Will It Blend? Sheldon General Cooking 5 05-12-2006 11:21 PM
Bordeaux Blend Jim Winemaking 9 19-05-2006 07:51 PM