Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux

Notes from a lunch with Albert Givton in Vancouver – fascinating and
informative as always!
The wines were served blind.

2003 Flora Springs Chardonnay Select Cuvee (Napa) – showing some
colour, a full, sweet fruity nose, full bodied, smooth and fairly soft
but with enough acidity to finish cleanly. It showed more oak in the
nose with time in the glass. Attractive.

2003 Comte de Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre – lighter in colour and
with an interesting almost grapefruit nose, lacking the oak of the
previous wine. Soft, with low acid, it was pleasant but had less
definition than I’d have liked. Had oak, which again made its
presence known only after a bit of time, but of course much more
restrained. Had it been better balanced I’d have liked it much more.

1975 Malartic Lagraviere – I have always been a good fan of this hard
difficult vintage, which produced two kinds of wines, those with
enough fruit to outlast the tannins and those without. Mature claret
nose with slight warmth, surprisingly juicy entry, finishing with very
little tannin left. Decent wine, and an amazing showing from this
producer.

1975 Pape Clement – unfortunately this bottle was musty and probably
corky, given that the fruit was so low. Lean and acidic. I’ve had
this before and it was much better.

1975 Dom. de Chevalier – this wine was showing absolutely nothing in
the nose, at least to me, but on palate was well balanced and mellow.
That makes one hit, one miss and one in the middle for the vintage on
that day.

1975 Chappelet Carbernet (Napa) – I love old style mature California
cabernets so I was really enjoying this part of the tasting. An
interesting sweetish nose but with a pronounced earthy component, the
wine mature and well balanced, showing obvious age with a bit of soft
tannin remaining and a persistent finish.

1980 Chappelet Cabernet Signature (Napa) – again, a sweet warm earth
sort of nose, and an elegant wine with good flavour definition and
excellent length.

1976 Ridge Monte Bello Cabernet – made from 100% cabernet in a drought
year, I’m sure this one was a challenge to the wine maker. It was
finished at 12.7% (so much for the modern theory that it needs to be
nearly 15% to be ‘right’) An excellent strongly fruity nose, then
lots of up front acidity, good concentration and good length. I have
seen reviews that panned this wine. All I can say is that they didn’t
taste this bottle!

1982 Gruaud Larose – anything less from Bordeaux might have gotten
lost against the Monte Bello, but this stood its ground and made no
excuses. Big dark wine with a ripe warm nose or plum and a bit of
blood, and later quite a bit of cocoa, what I’d call a bright entry,
welcoming you into the wine, and admirable concentration in the
middle, still with lots of tannin. This is a real classic and it
probably still needs time to peak (though this was from a notably cool
cellar) and has many more years ahead.

1970 Jaboulet La Chappelle Chateauneuf du Pape – I love these wines,
so was a little disappointed in the initial showing when you could see
browning edges, a quite ripe nose, the wine still having some heat and
tannin, but the fruit having dropped away. I held it in the glass for
quiet awhile and kept going back to it. It finally started to open up
and the bouquet became fascinating and wonderful, making you forget
that it was short on fruit. This is nearing the end of its drinking
life, but it isn’t gone yet! Tar and old fruit started coming out, and
about three other things I couldn’t put a name to.

1970 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet – bottle #5213 (hand numbered),
put in bottle in August of 1974 while they were getting ready to pick
another monumental vintage. An interesting raised sort of nose with
a slightly minty element, the only hint of what it might be, with
alcohol, some fruit and showing very dry at the end. A peak at
history in the glass.

1997 Ryslink Vlassky Sladke – a late harvest Riesling from
Czechoslovakia, thus adding another country to my list as I don’t
recall tasting another Czech wine. Medium straw colour, very sweet
nose, and very sweet in the mouth, without much complexity, but decent
acidity, well, lots of it actually, redeemed what could otherwise have
been a cloying wine. Pretty interesting for a modestly priced wine.

Great tasting as usual and I spent most of it listening to the host
and scribbling notes while others chatted. A real learning
experience.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Oops - the Jaboulet is of course an Hermitage.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks Bill. Love me some Heitz old school

Lew
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 9:23*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> put in bottle in August of 1974 while they were getting ready to pick
> another monumental vintage. * An interesting raised sort of nose with
> a slightly minty element, the only hint of what it might be, with
> alcohol, some fruit and showing very dry at the end. *A peak at
> history in the glass.
>
> 1997 Ryslink Vlassky Sladke – a late harvest Riesling from
> Czechoslovakia, thus adding another country to my list as I don’t
> recall tasting another Czech wine. Medium straw colour, very sweet
> nose, and very sweet in the mouth, without much complexity, but decent
> acidity, well, lots of it actually, redeemed what could otherwise have
> been a cloying wine. *Pretty interesting for a modestly priced wine.
>
> Great tasting as usual and I spent most of it listening to the host
> and scribbling notes while others chatted. *A real learning

Hi Bill, these look amazing...do you have these in your cellar or do
you aquire them long after release. Just curious. I started my
collection about 1982...so mine are not nearly as old...and I rarely
have the patience to allow to mature fully. That said, since I am
drinking less now but still aquiring good vintages I will allow many
to continue to age. I think my oldest are some 1982 and 1983 Chat
Margaux
Posted to alt.food.wine

These wines were all from the cellar of my friend.

I have a few late 70s wines from both USA and France, but they are
getting fewer and fewer as the years pass....

Posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

!

> 1982 Gruaud Larose – anything less from Bordeaux might have gotten
> lost against the Monte Bello, but this stood its ground and made no
> excuses. Big dark wine with a ripe warm nose or plum and a bit of
> blood, and later quite a bit of cocoa, what I’d call a bright entry,
> welcoming you into the wine, and admirable concentration in the
> middle, still with lots of tannin. This is a real classic and it
> probably still needs time to peak (though this was from a notably cool
> cellar) and has many more years ahead.

Bill
I have two bottles left. This wine has come on leaps and bounds compared to
the much vaunted Lascases, which I have always felt was overhyped. I will
have one on my 65th.

John

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 7:23*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> put in bottle in August of 1974 while they were getting ready to pick
> another monumental vintage. * An interesting raised sort of nose with
> a slightly minty element, the only hint of what it might be, with
> alcohol, some fruit and showing very dry at the end. *A peak at
> history in the glass.
>
> 1997 Ryslink Vlassky Sladke – a late harvest Riesling from
> Czechoslovakia, thus adding another country to my list as I don’t
> recall tasting another Czech wine. Medium straw colour, very sweet
> nose, and very sweet in the mouth, without much complexity, but decent
> acidity, well, lots of it actually, redeemed what could otherwise have
> been a cloying wine. *Pretty interesting for a modestly priced wine.
>
> Great tasting as usual and I spent most of it listening to the host
> and scribbling notes while others chatted. *A real learning

I have tasted as late as 1978 and 1979 Heitz Martha's Vineyard both
that seem to have faded completely though well provenanced.
Has anyone on the list tried to keep the baby Monte Bello's for a long
time?

TN: SOBER at Dan's with great Bordeaux, Burgs, and Riojas DaleW Wine 3 23-07-2013 06:23 PM
Two Classic 2002 Napa Cabs Bi!! Wine 3 16-07-2013 06:35 PM
Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 0 04-04-2011 04:11 PM
A few 1990 Napa Cabs Bi!! Wine 0 04-04-2007 06:40 PM
Just Don't Get It--Bordeaux Ed Rasimus Wine 16 16-08-2004 04:21 AM