Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Storing of extra juice

Hi to all,
Apart from the main demijohn, I usually store extra juice in smaller
demijohns/or bottles.
I use this extra juice to fill up after racking.

Please note that I am a very small wine producer. (70 bottles not
more)

However I never have the exact amount to fill all the container, and
endup with a container
filled with air. Over the fermentation period, this extra juice
ferments to something of much lesser
quality than the main one.

Do you have any suggestions on this? Could I use tetrabrik containers,
where I can remove as much air as I want.

Thanks Fish
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 10 June, 14:24, fishziblu > wrote:
> Hi to all,
> Apart from the main demijohn, I usually store extra juice in smaller
> demijohns/or bottles.
> I use this extra juice to fill up after racking.
>
> Please note that I am a very small wine producer. (70 bottles not
> more)
>
> However I never have the exact amount to fill all the container, and
> endup with a container
> filled with air. Over the fermentation period, this extra juice
> ferments to something of much lesser
> quality than the main one.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on this? Could I use tetrabrik containers,
> where I can remove as much air as I want.
>
> Thanks Fish

Why not measure your [potential] wine beforehand?

McK.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 10, 8:24*am, fishziblu > wrote:
> Hi to all,
> Apart from the main demijohn, I usually store extra juice in smaller
> demijohns/or bottles.
> I use this extra juice to fill up after racking.
>
> Please note that I am a very small wine producer. (70 bottles not
> more)
>
> However I never have the exact amount to fill all the container, and
> endup with a container
> filled with air. Over the fermentation period, this extra juice
> ferments to something of much lesser
> quality than the main one.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on this? Could I use tetrabrik containers,
> where I can remove as much air as I want.
>
> Thanks Fish

Why would you want to top off with juice? Make smaller containers of
the same wine to top off the large ones. See Jack Keller's section on
topping up. Glass marbles should be the last resort.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/starting.asp

Stephen
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The glass carboys have definite volume 52litres. And I always make 52l
+ 4l,
which is ok after racking for a full 52l.

I wouldnt dream of putting marbles inside a glass carboy. I already
broke one by mishandling
the carboy, it is not i nice experience.

Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I am not topping of with juice. When I rack the carboy, I would
presume that the juice
in the tetrabrik would have fermented as well, with the empty space (I
would push all
the extra air out) filling up with CO2. I would not fill the container
completely.

Obviously if I were to fill it up completely, the BRIK would explode,
due to the pressure build up.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
fishziblu > wrote:

> Hi to all,
> Apart from the main demijohn, I usually store extra juice in smaller
> demijohns/or bottles.
> I use this extra juice to fill up after racking.
>
> Please note that I am a very small wine producer. (70 bottles not
> more)
>
> However I never have the exact amount to fill all the container, and
> endup with a container
> filled with air. Over the fermentation period, this extra juice
> ferments to something of much lesser
> quality than the main one.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on this? Could I use tetrabrik containers,
> where I can remove as much air as I want.
>
> Thanks Fish

I would worry about BPAs and their ilk. I think the best option is to
stay with glass, and get a small cylinder of argon to displace the air.
--
- Billy