Glen Duff

Default Recommended Yeast

I would appreciate any recommendations for my 2004 Riesling and
Gewurztraminer. I have generally used EC1118 in the past but would be
interested in a strain that preserves fruitiness and varietal character.
The wines will not be barrel-aged and I will try to prevent ML
fermentation.

Also, for my barrel-aged and ML fermented 04 Chardonnay, I have
generally used EC1118 on my Chardonnay as well. Any recommendations on
something different this year.

Thanks for any assistance.

Glen Duff

Brad B.

I like Epernay 2 (Cotes des Blancs) for Riesling, but it can be a slow
fermenter, especially in colder temps. Really preserves fruitiness
and varietal character. Easy to halt the fermentation before dryness
as compared with others. If you are looking to go completely dry,
consider Lalvin R2 for either the Riesling or Gewurz.

I have also used 71B for a Gewurz that was high in malic and didn't
want ML. 71B "consumes" some of this malic and helps soften the wine
if it is high in malic acid.

Have fun experimenting...

Glen Duff > wrote in message >...
> I would appreciate any recommendations for my 2004 Riesling and
> Gewurztraminer. I have generally used EC1118 in the past but would be
> interested in a strain that preserves fruitiness and varietal character.
> The wines will not be barrel-aged and I will try to prevent ML
> fermentation.
>
> Also, for my barrel-aged and ML fermented 04 Chardonnay, I have
> generally used EC1118 on my Chardonnay as well. Any recommendations on
> something different this year.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Glen Duff

Brad B.

Forgot to mention a yeast for the Chardonnay. CY3079 is excellent for
barrel fermented Chards w/batonnage.