Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recommended Carbs?

What are the recommended carb numbers per meal and per day?

TIA

--

Wayne Boatwright

"How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

Julia Child
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> What are the recommended carb numbers per meal and per day?

Ones that allow you to keep your bgs within normal limits. That's a highly
individual number.
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the recommended carb numbers per meal and per day?

You need to determine that for yourself by using your meter. See:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Following up to my own post... Thanks to both Nicky and Priscilla for
their resplies.

I should probably have been more specific in my questions about carbs.

I've been a well-managed T2 for several years, taking both glucophage and
glyburide. My diabetes is weight related, and I've managed to lose nearly
60 pounds since this past January, putting me at very near normal weight.

As a consequence, my doctor took me off glucophage about 2 months ago and,
more recently, had me reduce the dosage of glyburide to 2.5MG/day. I am
now frequently getting sudden low BG readings in the low 50s and high 40s.

I meter at last 4 times a day, more if I feel a BG drop. It may well be
that I need to eliminate the glyburide altogether at this point, but short
of that I definitely need to take in some carbs when my BG drops.

I guess it's time to talk with my doctor again.

Thanks again!

--

Wayne Boatwright

"How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

Julia Child
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Following up to my own post... Thanks to both Nicky and Priscilla for
> their resplies.
>
> I should probably have been more specific in my questions about carbs.
>
> I've been a well-managed T2 for several years, taking both glucophage and
> glyburide. My diabetes is weight related, and I've managed to lose nearly
> 60 pounds since this past January, putting me at very near normal weight.
>
> As a consequence, my doctor took me off glucophage about 2 months ago and,
> more recently, had me reduce the dosage of glyburide to 2.5MG/day. I am
> now frequently getting sudden low BG readings in the low 50s and high 40s.
>
> I meter at last 4 times a day, more if I feel a BG drop. It may well be
> that I need to eliminate the glyburide altogether at this point, but short
> of that I definitely need to take in some carbs when my BG drops.
>
> I guess it's time to talk with my doctor again.
>
> Thanks again!

I'd have gone off the glyburide and kept the glucophage. The sulphs can
stress the beta cells and, IIRC, have been associated with increased
rate of heart attacks. Glucophage, OTOH, is cardio-protective
regardless of how tightly one controls one's BG.

I'm glad you're doing better! The YMMV and "check your mileage with
your meter" still applies. It's just that you can probably "get away
with" more these days.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed 24 May 2006 12:43:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Priscilla
H. Ballou?

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Following up to my own post... Thanks to both Nicky and Priscilla for
>> their resplies.
>>
>> I should probably have been more specific in my questions about carbs.
>>
>> I've been a well-managed T2 for several years, taking both glucophage
>> and glyburide. My diabetes is weight related, and I've managed to lose
>> nearly 60 pounds since this past January, putting me at very near
>> normal weight.
>>
>> As a consequence, my doctor took me off glucophage about 2 months ago
>> and, more recently, had me reduce the dosage of glyburide to 2.5MG/day.
>> I am now frequently getting sudden low BG readings in the low 50s and
>> high 40s.
>>
>> I meter at last 4 times a day, more if I feel a BG drop. It may well
>> be that I need to eliminate the glyburide altogether at this point, but
>> short of that I definitely need to take in some carbs when my BG drops.
>>
>> I guess it's time to talk with my doctor again.
>>
>> Thanks again!

> I'd have gone off the glyburide and kept the glucophage. The sulphs can
> stress the beta cells and, IIRC, have been associated with increased
> rate of heart attacks. Glucophage, OTOH, is cardio-protective
> regardless of how tightly one controls one's BG.
>
> I'm glad you're doing better! The YMMV and "check your mileage with
> your meter" still applies. It's just that you can probably "get away
> with" more these days.
>
> Priscilla

Thanks, Priscilla. I didn't know some of this information. I will pursue
this when I see my doctor, and do some of my own research as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> What are the recommended carb numbers per meal and per day?

Too many variables for there to be just one answer. Sorry.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed 24 May 2006 09:27:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Julie Bove?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> What are the recommended carb numbers per meal and per day?

> Too many variables for there to be just one answer. Sorry.

You're probably right, Julie. Best off to the doctor.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

[...]

: --

: Wayne Boatwright
: __________________________________________________ ___________

: "How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

: Julia Child

As the slyburide is a sulp, which pushes more insulin out of the beta
cells inthe pancreas, yu have more insulin floatin g around in your
systemthan the carbs you are eating. If you have to increase your carbs
to fit the insulin you are in danger of regainign soem of that hard lost
weight. i would ask the doctor if you should stop the glyburide and try
diet and exercise alone or else go back on the glucophage without the
glyburide. Gludophage works differently so it it less likely to cause
lows or hypos now that you have, probably, lost much of your insulin
resistance along with those pounds.

I hope this is clear, if not, I can alwasy try agian:-) YOu now havewhat
my Father used to call a luxury problem! "How little meds do I need?"

Weny
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 25 May 2006 09:19:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it W. Baker?

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>: Following up to my own post... Thanks to both Nicky and Priscilla for
>: their resplies.
>
>: I should probably have been more specific in my questions about carbs.
>
>: I've been a well-managed T2 for several years, taking both glucophage
>: and glyburide. My diabetes is weight related, and I've managed to lose
>: nearly 60 pounds since this past January, putting me at very near
>: normal weight.
>
>: As a consequence, my doctor took me off glucophage about 2 months ago
>: and, more recently, had me reduce the dosage of glyburide to 2.5MG/day.
>: I am now frequently getting sudden low BG readings in the low 50s and
>: high 40s.
>
>: I meter at last 4 times a day, more if I feel a BG drop. It may well
>: be that I need to eliminate the glyburide altogether at this point, but
>: short of that I definitely need to take in some carbs when my BG drops.
>
>: I guess it's time to talk with my doctor again.
>
>: Thanks again!
>
>: --
>
>: Wayne Boatwright
>: __________________________________________________ ___________
>
>: "How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"
>
>: Julia Child
>

> As the slyburide is a sulp, which pushes more insulin out of the beta
> cells inthe pancreas, yu have more insulin floatin g around in your
> systemthan the carbs you are eating. If you have to increase your carbs
> to fit the insulin you are in danger of regainign soem of that hard
> lost weight. i would ask the doctor if you should stop the glyburide
> and try diet and exercise alone or else go back on the glucophage
> without the glyburide. Gludophage works differently so it it less
> likely to cause lows or hypos now that you have, probably, lost much of
> your insulin resistance along with those pounds.
>
> I hope this is clear, if not, I can alwasy try agian:-) YOu now
> havewhat my Father used to call a luxury problem! "How little meds do I
> need?"

Thank you. You're points were clear, and I think it's time to talk to my
doctor again.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> Here is what my diabetic dietitian educated me on regarding my carb intake
> for the day. I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or
> less.
> I've also learned how to read labels and understand what I'm eating which
> makes my carb intake so much easier to control. Sure I cheat now and then
> but make up for it the next day.
>
> What I've been told is not so bad is if I go over my units by eating
> fruits, nuts and veggies. It's not great to do so but it beats eating a
> bag of potato chips.

That's an awful lot of carbs! What kind of 1-hour pp figures do you get
after meals? Or are you eating lots of small meals?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
>
>>Here is what my diabetic dietitian educated me on regarding my carb intake
>>for the day. I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or
>>less.
>>I've also learned how to read labels and understand what I'm eating which
>>makes my carb intake so much easier to control. Sure I cheat now and then
>>but make up for it the next day.
>>
>>What I've been told is not so bad is if I go over my units by eating
>>fruits, nuts and veggies. It's not great to do so but it beats eating a
>>bag of potato chips.

> That's an awful lot of carbs! What kind of 1-hour pp figures do you get
> after meals? Or are you eating lots of small meals?
>
> Nicky.

That's not an "awful lot of carbs" if Michael's BGs are level but I've
never seen that calculation before. Usually a "carb" for a carb counter
is a unit of 15grams. 5 carb counts per day is definitely not an "awful
lot" Way below the average ADA meal plan. It also depends upon the kind
of carbs he is eating. Some could be from dairy like yogurt or from high
fiber foods like beans or from fruit. I hope you didn't scare him,
Nicky. <g>

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>
>> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
>> 6.121...
>>
>>>Here is what my diabetic dietitian educated me on regarding my carb
>>>intake
>>>for the day. I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or
>>>less.
>>>I've also learned how to read labels and understand what I'm eating which
>>>makes my carb intake so much easier to control. Sure I cheat now and
>>>then
>>>but make up for it the next day.
>>>
>>>What I've been told is not so bad is if I go over my units by eating
>>>fruits, nuts and veggies. It's not great to do so but it beats eating a
>>>bag of potato chips.

>> That's an awful lot of carbs! What kind of 1-hour pp figures do you get
>> after meals? Or are you eating lots of small meals?
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

> That's not an "awful lot of carbs" if Michael's BGs are level but I've
> never seen that calculation before. Usually a "carb" for a carb counter is
> a unit of 15grams. 5 carb counts per day is definitely not an "awful lot"
> Way below the average ADA meal plan. It also depends upon the kind of
> carbs he is eating. Some could be from dairy like yogurt or from high
> fiber foods like beans or from fruit. I hope you didn't scare him, Nicky.
> <g>

Well, I hope not too - and if he's getting good readings, then he's
obviously eating right for him.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It doesn't seem like a "awful lot" to me.

It's anywhere between 15 and 75g.

That's spread out over the whole day.

I'd say it's low carb.

Jennifer

Nicky wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
>
>>Here is what my diabetic dietitian educated me on regarding my carb intake
>>for the day. I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or
>>less.
>>I've also learned how to read labels and understand what I'm eating which
>>makes my carb intake so much easier to control. Sure I cheat now and then
>>but make up for it the next day.
>>
>>What I've been told is not so bad is if I go over my units by eating
>>fruits, nuts and veggies. It's not great to do so but it beats eating a
>>bag of potato chips.

> That's an awful lot of carbs! What kind of 1-hour pp figures do you get
> after meals? Or are you eating lots of small meals?
>
> Nicky.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> It doesn't seem like a "awful lot" to me.
>
> It's anywhere between 15 and 75g.
>
> That's spread out over the whole day.
>
> I'd say it's low carb.

You're right - I read it as 15x 15g exchanges....

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>
> > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> > 6.121...
> >
> >>Here is what my diabetic dietitian educated me on regarding my carb

intake
> >>for the day. I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or
> >>less.
> >>I've also learned how to read labels and understand what I'm eating

which
> >>makes my carb intake so much easier to control. Sure I cheat now and

then
> >>but make up for it the next day.
> >>
> >>What I've been told is not so bad is if I go over my units by eating
> >>fruits, nuts and veggies. It's not great to do so but it beats eating a
> >>bag of potato chips.

> > That's an awful lot of carbs! What kind of 1-hour pp figures do you get
> > after meals? Or are you eating lots of small meals?
> >
> > Nicky.
> >

> That's not an "awful lot of carbs" if Michael's BGs are level but I've
> never seen that calculation before. Usually a "carb" for a carb counter
> is a unit of 15grams. 5 carb counts per day is definitely not an "awful
> lot" Way below the average ADA meal plan. It also depends upon the kind
> of carbs he is eating. Some could be from dairy like yogurt or from high
> fiber foods like beans or from fruit. I hope you didn't scare him,
> Nicky. <g>

If I read this correctly, he is eating 15 units per day. That is a lot.
That is what I was supposed to eat when I was pregnant and there was no way
I could. What doesn't make sense is the part about one unit equals five
carbs or less.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > It doesn't seem like a "awful lot" to me.
> >
> > It's anywhere between 15 and 75g.
> >
> > That's spread out over the whole day.
> >
> > I'd say it's low carb.

> You're right - I read it as 15x 15g exchanges....

That's the way it reads to me too, although he put 5 instead of 15. So now
I don't know.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It seemed pretty clear to me.

He said: "I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or less."

Jennifer

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>
>>"Jennifer" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

>>>It doesn't seem like a "awful lot" to me.
>>>
>>>It's anywhere between 15 and 75g.
>>>
>>>That's spread out over the whole day.
>>>
>>>I'd say it's low carb.

>>You're right - I read it as 15x 15g exchanges....

> That's the way it reads to me too, although he put 5 instead of 15. So now
> I don't know.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> It seemed pretty clear to me.
>

> He said: "I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or less."

I know what he said. But what kind of diet considers a unit of carbs to be
5 g or less? This is what doesn't make sense.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It wasn't a diet... it was what his doctor told him.

I was just going by what he wrote.

Jennifer

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
>>It seemed pretty clear to me.
>>

>>He said: "I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or less."

> I know what he said. But what kind of diet considers a unit of carbs to be
> 5 g or less? This is what doesn't make sense.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 02:24:34a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> 28.19:
>

>> Following up to my own post... Thanks to both Nicky and Priscilla for
>> their resplies.
>>
>> I should probably have been more specific in my questions about carbs.
>>
>> I've been a well-managed T2 for several years, taking both glucophage
>> and glyburide. My diabetes is weight related, and I've managed to
>> lose nearly 60 pounds since this past January, putting me at very near
>> normal weight.
>>
>> As a consequence, my doctor took me off glucophage about 2 months ago
>> and, more recently, had me reduce the dosage of glyburide to
>> 2.5MG/day. I am now frequently getting sudden low BG readings in the
>> low 50s and high 40s.
>>
>> I meter at last 4 times a day, more if I feel a BG drop. It may well
>> be that I need to eliminate the glyburide altogether at this point,
>> but short of that I definitely need to take in some carbs when my BG
>> drops.
>>
>> I guess it's time to talk with my doctor again.
>>
>> Thanks again!

> Wayne, I had the same issue when I was first diagnosed. My diabetes is
> not weight related. I manage to somehow maintain a normal weight all of
> the time. If you're going to take in more carbs definitely talk to the
> doctor. As for myself, I would eat more fruit and yogurt.

I've since talked with my doctor again, especially about glyburide vs
glucophage. At the time I was taken off the glucophage, I was also taken
off another medication for triglycerides that had a side effect of
partially supressing the effectiveness of both the glyburide and
glucophage. It took a short while for this to be realized. My doctor
agreed that now I should go back on a low dosage of glucophage and
eliminate all glyburide. He also said I could increase carbs a bit.
That seems to be working, as my fasting and pre-dinner BG readings are
below 90, and I'm not seeing any radical dips or highs.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> She didn't scare me I have a dual problem which makes it difficult for
> me. I also have CAD (coronary artery disease). Low fat and low carb means
> basically no food ;( I have to compromise. I do lead a pretty normal life
> foodwise. I just make sure I stay away from the real fatty meats and I
> avoid breads etc. I count my carbs pretty closely unless I'm eating
> chocolate and then after I test myself and give myself hell; I make up for
> it the next day.

I'm glad she didn't scare you, Michael. My DH, who is the DM in the
family and for whom I am the care-giver and designated Internet driver,
has CAD, too. You are probably doing yourself a favor to avoid real
fatty meats. Low fat and low carb doesn't have to mean no food. We
always have a large salad to start the meal and at least two non-starch
veggies with our protien. DH counts carbs and has been doing so for 4
years. Carb counting has allowed him to have an occassional treat
without the meter getting angry. It has also resulted in much better
control.

You seem like a really positive person. If your meal plan is working for
you, then stay with it. Don't let some of the posters here get to you.
They are all well-meaning people but some of them get very protective of
their eating-style and think it will help everyone. You sound like you
are sensible enough to figure out what works for you and what to do if
it doesn't work.

If you are going to want that piece of chocolate, have you considered
substititing it for an equal amount of carbs in your meal?

Good luck.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> My doctor
> agreed that now I should go back on a low dosage of glucophage and
> eliminate all glyburide. He also said I could increase carbs a bit.
> That seems to be working, as my fasting and pre-dinner BG readings are
> below 90, and I'm not seeing any radical dips or highs.

Great! Presumably you're happy with your pp figures too.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> It depends on the day Nicky. On an ordinary day I usually have several
> small meals and almost always have either some protein or fruit before bed
> time. The highest has been 270. My monthly average runs about 125 to
> 130.
> My last A1C was 4.9 which I was shocked at because that was right after
> the
> holidays.

Wow, that's fantastic : ) OK, I'll stop worrying about you

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote on 09 Jun 2006 in alt.food.diabetic

> I have found that when I have a craving for something forbidden; it is
> better for me to have a small amount of it. Otherwise I'll just try to
> suppress the craving and eventually binge out. Hershey's Kisses are one
> thing I crave now and then. When I get the craving I have exactly 5 of
> them and no more.

I have found that letting the forbidden chocolate melt in your mouth and
not chewed works fairly well. I seem to get the maxium flavour and can
limit amounts better

--
-Alan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jennifer wrote on 07 Jun 2006 in alt.food.diabetic

> It wasn't a diet... it was what his doctor told him.
>
> I was just going by what he wrote.
>
> Jennifer
>

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...
> >
> >>It seemed pretty clear to me.
> >>

> >>He said: "I am allowed 15 units per day. 1 unit equals 5 carbs or
> >>less."

> > I know what he said. But what kind of diet considers a unit of
> > carbs to be 5 g or less? This is what doesn't make sense.

Example if the food works out to say 15 carbs it is 3 units (15/5 =
3)...If it works out to 17 (17/5 = 3.4) carbs it is 4 units...There are
no fractional parts. He always rounds up to the nearest whole number.

--
-Alan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message

> Example if the food works out to say 15 carbs it is 3 units (15/5 =
> 3)...If it works out to 17 (17/5 = 3.4) carbs it is 4 units...There are
> no fractional parts. He always rounds up to the nearest whole number.

Um... Yeah. But it still makes no sense to say that a unit of carbs is 5
g. Using that theory, you'd have to cut everything into unreasonable
amounts. Like 1/3 of a slice of bread. This is what makes no sense.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Betty Crocker Diabetes Cook Book was Recommended Carbs?

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>

>>Example if the food works out to say 15 carbs it is 3 units (15/5 =
>>3)...If it works out to 17 (17/5 = 3.4) carbs it is 4 units...There are
>>no fractional parts. He always rounds up to the nearest whole number.

> Um... Yeah. But it still makes no sense to say that a unit of carbs is 5
> g. Using that theory, you'd have to cut everything into unreasonable
> amounts. Like 1/3 of a slice of bread. This is what makes no sense.

AFAIK, the units are usually 15g. That's the ADA carb-counting
guideline. I think that either the OP or his doctor got something
switched around. DH has been carb-counting for 4 years. We've been to
education and everything else we read about carb-counting says a unit is
15g.

BTW, I just tried, on approval, Betty Crocker's Diabetes Cookbook. I
figured it would be just like all the others 45g of carb deserts
substituting Splenda for sugar and cutting fat, etc. It isn't. The book
has some excellent information for carb-counters and even explains
carb-counting. It also gives "exchange" information. The highest a
single recipe is is 4 carb counts but they are the minority. Most are 2
to 2.5.

I was quite surprised at how many nice recipes there were that were 0
or 1 count. The portions are small, so if you are a big eater, don't
bother. If you need to lose weight, you might like it.

The book uses portion control and doesn't use artificial sweetners. I'd
imagine some of the recipes can be changed with Splenda for a larger
serving or cutting down on the amount of fruit, etc. I kind of liked the
fact that it didn't use any "fake" products and seemed to preach that
you don't have to deprive yourself if you use portion control. They did
offer substitution amounts of egg substitute for fresh eggs, but fresh
eggs were the first ingredient.

There was also a section about how to use the meter to test for PPBGs to
see how different foods effect you and good information about DM in
general. I did not find it to be completely ADA.

It's certainly not a perfect book and won't be a hit for the Under 30g
of carbs per day group, but for many T2s it's got a lot of good
information as well as easy recipes. I could easily use the recipes to
stay within DH's under 100g per day program.

The menus are not for us. Too carby for anything but a highly active
teen age athelete, IMO, but for all I know there are T2s out there who
can endure on meals of 60 to 75g of carbs. Maybe if they had horrible
eating habits before?? I'm no expert, so I can't comment. I just know
that the menus wouldn't work for us.

I think the book would be excellent for newly dx'd T2s as long as they
have been through education and have a handle, or at least a
professional recommendation, on their own carb intake limitations.

I got the book through Rodale, the publishers of "Prevention" I believe
it's available other places.

This posting is JMHO and put here for informational purposes. There is
no intention to start any flame wars, so please don't.

TIA

Janet

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in alt.food.diabetic

> BTW, I just tried, on approval, Betty Crocker's Diabetes Cookbook. I
> figured it would be just like all the others 45g of carb deserts
> substituting Splenda for sugar and cutting fat, etc. It isn't. The book
> has some excellent information for carb-counters and even explains
> carb-counting. It also gives "exchange" information. The highest a
> single recipe is is 4 carb counts but they are the minority. Most are 2
> to 2.5.

Better Homes and Gardens has 2 newish carb counting cookbooks out.

--
-Alan

Recommended Web Sites Please PDM Barbecue 6 15-08-2009 07:34 PM
Recommended Reading J F Winemaking 5 18-12-2004 12:59 AM
Recommended Yeast Glen Duff Winemaking 4 07-10-2004 05:04 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM
Recommended books Charles H Winemaking 2 22-11-2003 12:06 AM