W ä l r ü s

Default Can you rate this recipe?

Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.

Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can do
it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.

With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area for
making it, I hope it would work.

Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added, replaced
or omitted and why.

Thanks!
--
Wälrüs

128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
etc......).
3-1/2C - Sugar.
Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

Mix together juice & sugar until blended.

Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).

Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.

Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Steve Thompson

One comment... I'd add the lemon juice after it's done fermenting, and then
to taste. I've had a couple of bad experiences with adding the acid too
early.

Steve
"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
> acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
>
> Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can

do
> it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
>
> With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area for
> making it, I hope it would work.
>
> Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,

replaced
> or omitted and why.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Wälrüs
>

> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
>
> Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
>
> Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
>
> Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
>
> Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Steve Thompson

One comment... I'd add the lemon juice after it's done fermenting, and then
to taste. I've had a couple of bad experiences with adding the acid too
early.

Steve
"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
> acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
>
> Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can

do
> it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
>
> With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area for
> making it, I hope it would work.
>
> Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,

replaced
> or omitted and why.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Wälrüs
>

> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
>
> Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
>
> Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
>
> Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
>
> Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Stephen SG

Steve what in your experience do you consider the citric acid is for?

Stephen SG

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
| One comment... I'd add the lemon juice after it's done fermenting, and
then
| to taste. I've had a couple of bad experiences with adding the acid too
| early.
|
| Steve
| "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
| nk.net...
| > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
| > acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
| >
| > Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can
| do
| > it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
| >
| > With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area
for
| > making it, I hope it would work.
| >
| > Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
| replaced
| > or omitted and why.
| >
| > Thanks!
| > --
| > Wälrüs
| >

| > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
| > etc......).
| > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
| > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
| > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
| > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
| > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
| > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
| > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
| >
| > Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
| >
| > Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
| > fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
| >
| > Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
| >
| > Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
| > sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Stephen SG

Steve what in your experience do you consider the citric acid is for?

Stephen SG

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
| One comment... I'd add the lemon juice after it's done fermenting, and
then
| to taste. I've had a couple of bad experiences with adding the acid too
| early.
|
| Steve
| "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
| nk.net...
| > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
| > acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
| >
| > Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can
| do
| > it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
| >
| > With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area
for
| > making it, I hope it would work.
| >
| > Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
| replaced
| > or omitted and why.
| >
| > Thanks!
| > --
| > Wälrüs
| >

| > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
| > etc......).
| > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
| > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
| > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
| > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
| > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
| > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
| > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
| >
| > Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
| >
| > Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
| > fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
| >
| > Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
| >
| > Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
| > sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Stephen SG

You indicate 128 ozs is that fluid ozs or weight.

Stephen SG
"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
| Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
| acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
|
| Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can
do
| it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
|
| With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area for
| making it, I hope it would work.
|
| Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
replaced
| or omitted and why.
|
| Thanks!
| --
| Wälrüs
|

| 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
| etc......).
| 3-1/2C - Sugar.
| Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
| 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
| 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
| 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
| 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
| Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
|
| Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
|
| Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
| fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
|
| Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
|
| Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
| sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Stephen SG

You indicate 128 ozs is that fluid ozs or weight.

Stephen SG
"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
| Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
| acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
|
| Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can
do
| it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
|
| With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area for
| making it, I hope it would work.
|
| Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
replaced
| or omitted and why.
|
| Thanks!
| --
| Wälrüs
|

| 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
| etc......).
| 3-1/2C - Sugar.
| Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
| 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
| 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
| 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
| 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
| Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
|
| Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
|
| Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
| fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
|
| Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
|
| Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
| sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Sim-ply Obsessed

Probably fluid ounces. 128 oz equals 1 gallon. I am going to try this
recipe & see how it comes out. Looks simple enough & all natural.

Anyone agree? I may add more sugar for raspberry though & omit some lemon
juice. That may make it too bitter.

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> You indicate 128 ozs is that fluid ozs or weight.
>
> Stephen SG
> "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> | Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
> | acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
> |
> | Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can
> do
> | it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
> |
> | With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area

for
> | making it, I hope it would work.
> |
> | Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
> replaced
> | or omitted and why.
> |
> | Thanks!
> | --
> | Wälrüs
> |

> | 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> | etc......).
> | 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> | Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> | 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> | 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> | 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> | 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> | Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
> |
> | Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
> |
> | Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> | fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
> |
> | Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
> |
> | Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> | sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Sim-ply Obsessed

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> You indicate 128 ozs is that fluid ozs or weight.
>
> Stephen SG
> "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> | Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for the
> | acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
> |
> | Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I can
> do
> | it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
> |
> | With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area

for
> | making it, I hope it would work.
> |
> | Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
> replaced
> | or omitted and why.
> |
> | Thanks!
> | --
> | Wälrüs
> |

> | 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> | etc......).
> | 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> | Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> | 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> | 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> | 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> | 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> | Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
> |
> | Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
> |
> | Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> | fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
> |
> | Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
> |
> | Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> | sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

William Frazier

W ä l r ü s wrote
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"

recipe.
> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking equipment at
this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at the
wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your recipe, as
given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to completion.
If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.

A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon of
juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity arount
1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will make
a very sweet starting must.

If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the juice
and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
starting situation.

If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple slice
out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and they
probably will add nothing to your wine.

While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast. It's
cheap and will do a good job for you.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

William Frazier

W ä l r ü s wrote
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"

recipe.
> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking equipment at
this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at the
wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your recipe, as
given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to completion.
If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.

A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon of
juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity arount
1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will make
a very sweet starting must.

If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the juice
and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
starting situation.

If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple slice
out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and they
probably will add nothing to your wine.

While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast. It's
cheap and will do a good job for you.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

W ä l r ü s

Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here look like
it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?

I am highly allergic to any form of mold & blue food dyes #3, 5 & lake blue#
40. I know none of these have blue dye, except maybe some of the
pre-packaged blueberry juices.

"William Frazier" > wrote in message

> W ä l r ü s wrote
> > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"

> recipe.
> > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> > etc......).
> > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

> Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking equipment

at
> this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at

the
> wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your recipe,

as
> given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to completion.
> If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.
>
> A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon

of
> juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
> amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity arount
> 1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will

make
> a very sweet starting must.
>
> If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the juice
> and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
> starting situation.
>
> If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple

slice
> out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
> additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and

they
> probably will add nothing to your wine.
>
> While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast. It's
> cheap and will do a good job for you.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

W ä l r ü s

Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here look like
it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?

I am highly allergic to any form of mold & blue food dyes #3, 5 & lake blue#
40. I know none of these have blue dye, except maybe some of the
pre-packaged blueberry juices.

"William Frazier" > wrote in message

> W ä l r ü s wrote
> > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"

> recipe.
> > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> > etc......).
> > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

> Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking equipment

at
> this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at

the
> wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your recipe,

as
> given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to completion.
> If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.
>
> A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon

of
> juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
> amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity arount
> 1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will

make
> a very sweet starting must.
>
> If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the juice
> and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
> starting situation.
>
> If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple

slice
> out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
> additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and

they
> probably will add nothing to your wine.
>
> While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast. It's
> cheap and will do a good job for you.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

Stephen SG

Go buch

You can make as good a wine with or without an Hydrometer, your for fathers
did not always have one.

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
| Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here look like
| it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?
|
| I am highly allergic to any form of mold & blue food dyes #3, 5 & lake
blue#
| 40. I know none of these have blue dye, except maybe some of the
| pre-packaged blueberry juices.
|

| "William Frazier" > wrote in message
| >
| > W ä l r ü s wrote
| > > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"
| > recipe.
| > > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
| > > etc......).
| > > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
| > > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
| > > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
| > > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
| > > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
| > > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
| > > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
| >
| > Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking
equipment
| at
| > this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at
| the
| > wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your
recipe,
| as
| > given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to
completion.
| > If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.
| >
| > A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon
| of
| > juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
| > amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity
arount
| > 1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will
| make
| > a very sweet starting must.
| >
| > If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the
juice
| > and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
| > starting situation.
| >
| > If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple
| slice
| > out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
| > additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and
| they
| > probably will add nothing to your wine.
| >
| > While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast.
It's
| > cheap and will do a good job for you.
| >
| > Bill Frazier
| > Olathe, Kansas USA

Stephen SG

Go buch

You can make as good a wine with or without an Hydrometer, your for fathers
did not always have one.

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
| Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here look like
| it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?
|
| I am highly allergic to any form of mold & blue food dyes #3, 5 & lake
blue#
| 40. I know none of these have blue dye, except maybe some of the
| pre-packaged blueberry juices.
|

| "William Frazier" > wrote in message
| >
| > W ä l r ü s wrote
| > > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"
| > recipe.
| > > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
| > > etc......).
| > > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
| > > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
| > > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
| > > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
| > > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
| > > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
| > > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
| >
| > Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking
equipment
| at
| > this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at
| the
| > wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your
recipe,
| as
| > given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to
completion.
| > If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.
| >
| > A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon
| of
| > juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
| > amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity
arount
| > 1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will
| make
| > a very sweet starting must.
| >
| > If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the
juice
| > and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
| > starting situation.
| >
| > If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple
| slice
| > out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
| > additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and
| they
| > probably will add nothing to your wine.
| >
| > While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast.
It's
| > cheap and will do a good job for you.
| >
| > Bill Frazier
| > Olathe, Kansas USA

Steve Thompson

I've used lemon juice a couple of times (I know not perfect citric acid), to
add a little more acidity to my must. (Recipe called for the acid). In both
cases I ended up with stuck fermentation or very slow activity. I suspect
the pH sunk too low, I did not have a pH meter at the time to measure.

Steve

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> Steve what in your experience do you consider the citric acid is for?
>
> Stephen SG
>

> "Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
> | One comment... I'd add the lemon juice after it's done fermenting, and
> then
> | to taste. I've had a couple of bad experiences with adding the acid too
> | early.
> |
> | Steve
> | "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> | nk.net...
> | > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for

the
> | > acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
> | >
> | > Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I

can
> | do
> | > it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
> | >
> | > With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area
> for
> | > making it, I hope it would work.
> | >
> | > Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
> | replaced
> | > or omitted and why.
> | >
> | > Thanks!
> | > --
> | > Wälrüs
> | >

> | > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> | > etc......).
> | > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> | > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> | > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> | > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> | > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> | > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> | > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
> | >
> | > Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
> | >
> | > Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> | > fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
> | >
> | > Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
> | >
> | > Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> | > sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

Steve Thompson

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> Steve what in your experience do you consider the citric acid is for?
>
> Stephen SG
>

> "Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
> | One comment... I'd add the lemon juice after it's done fermenting, and
> then
> | to taste. I've had a couple of bad experiences with adding the acid too
> | early.
> |
> | Steve
> | "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> | nk.net...
> | > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution" for

the
> | > acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
> | >
> | > Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap & I

can
> | do
> | > it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
> | >
> | > With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean area
> for
> | > making it, I hope it would work.
> | >
> | > Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,
> | replaced
> | > or omitted and why.
> | >
> | > Thanks!
> | > --
> | > Wälrüs
> | >

> | > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> | > etc......).
> | > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> | > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> | > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> | > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> | > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> | > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> | > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
> | >
> | > Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
> | >
> | > Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> | > fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
> | >
> | > Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
> | >
> | > Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> | > sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

billb

all you really need are the first 3. in fact, I've noticed that
grape juice left on the counter will ferment all by itself with
NOTHING added!
--
billb
"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution"

for the
> acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
>
> Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap &

I can do
> it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
>
> With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean

area for
> making it, I hope it would work.
>
> Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,

replaced
> or omitted and why.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Wälrüs
>

> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
>
> Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
>
> Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
>
> Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
>
> Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

billb

all you really need are the first 3. in fact, I've noticed that
grape juice left on the counter will ferment all by itself with
NOTHING added!
--
billb
"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It is a "substitution"

for the
> acids & tannins. It's a natural "old style" recipe.
>
> Just starting out, so I am wanting to try it, because it's cheap &

I can do
> it now, without buying all the winemaking extras.
>
> With all the pasturizing in the food industry & if I keep a clean

area for
> making it, I hope it would work.
>
> Please post what you think & if you feel something should be added,

replaced
> or omitted and why.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Wälrüs
>

> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).
>
> Mix together juice & sugar until blended.
>
> Add the rest, add airlock & place in 70 degree tempurature until
> fermentation stops (about 30-40 days).
>
> Wait another 7-14 days for wine to settle & clear.
>
> Pour into bottles through a coffee filter, to elimimate spillage of
> sediment. Cork or serve. Makes 1 gallon.

billb

nk.net...
> Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here

look like
> it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?

I couldn't find anything that suggested home brew was dangerous.
alcohol IS dangerous, but that's life.

I only wish I'd found out about this stuff 20 years ago, it would
have saved me a LOT of money.

--
billb

billb

nk.net...
> Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here

look like
> it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?

I couldn't find anything that suggested home brew was dangerous.
alcohol IS dangerous, but that's life.

I only wish I'd found out about this stuff 20 years ago, it would
have saved me a LOT of money.

--
billb

Ray

"billb" > wrote in message

> all you really need are the first 3. in fact, I've noticed that
> grape juice left on the counter will ferment all by itself with
> NOTHING added!
> --
> billb

Yes it will, but have you tasted it?
;o)
I think I will use traditional wine making proceedure rather than letting
Mother Nature do it.

Ray

Ray

"billb" > wrote in message

> all you really need are the first 3. in fact, I've noticed that
> grape juice left on the counter will ferment all by itself with
> NOTHING added!
> --
> billb

Yes it will, but have you tasted it?
;o)
I think I will use traditional wine making proceedure rather than letting
Mother Nature do it.

Ray

Ray

"billb" > wrote in message

> all you really need are the first 3. in fact, I've noticed that
> grape juice left on the counter will ferment all by itself with
> NOTHING added!
> --
> billb

Yes it will, but have you tasted it?
;o)
I think I will use traditional wine making proceedure rather than letting
Mother Nature do it.

Ray

billb

> Yes it will, but have you tasted it?
> ;o)
> I think I will use traditional wine making proceedure rather than

letting
> Mother Nature do it.

well Mother Nature made me, she can make my wine. There's a certain
symmetry about all this.

--
billb

billb

> Yes it will, but have you tasted it?
> ;o)
> I think I will use traditional wine making proceedure rather than

letting
> Mother Nature do it.

well Mother Nature made me, she can make my wine. There's a certain
symmetry about all this.

--
billb

Chicago Cutlery: plz rate ++ Kalmia General Cooking 58 25-07-2013 08:23 AM
(2009-02-27) NS-RFC: How would you rate your own cooking? ChattyCathy General Cooking 29 05-03-2009 04:57 AM
What failure rate? [email protected] Preserving 17 14-05-2006 12:18 PM
rate my site please jessica Recipes 3 03-03-2005 05:25 PM
rate this recipe, please hahabogus General Cooking 6 08-03-2004 05:20 AM