Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-02-27) NS-RFC: How would you rate your own cooking?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Others seem more confident in their abilities than me. I'm open to
trying new recipes but I don't always succeed. I also will take
unsolicited polite criticism and I might offer such (cautiously.)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.Jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 10:28 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

What does MCINL mean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> On Feb 27, 10:28 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> What does MCINL mean?

My Choice Is Not Listed...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Feb 2009 15:58:33 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> "James Silverton" > news:RSTpl.15$gm6.11
> @nwrddc02.gnilink.net: in rec.food.cooking
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Others seem more confident in their abilities than me. I'm open to
>> trying new recipes but I don't always succeed. I also will take
>> unsolicited polite criticism and I might offer such (cautiously.)

> I put myself at a "3" which I interpreted as average. I've been
> criticized by Steven once or twice about my cooking. It's usually
> something like, "This meatloaf is worse than my mother's". His mother
> was a terrible cook which I find unusual for a little Jewish lady. That
> is pretty insulting. I enjoy constructive criticism and input on my
> cooking and I do likewise in a polite manner to others. When I post a
> recipe here (speaking for myself only) I expect input from the other
> contributors, be it positive, negative or possible additions or
> subtraction of ingredients.
>
> Michael

i cook for myself and occasionally for my girlfriend. once in while she
doesn't like a particular dish (she dislikes my coleslaw, the silly goose),
but i don't really take that as a criticism of 'my cooking.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Nice to see the survey front and center instead of as a sidebar!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 9:28*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers *
> Chatty Cathy

=================================

It depends on the "expertise" of the one volunteering that criticism.
If I ask for an opinion, which I do frequently when tasting for flavor
balance etc, that's a mousse of a different color.
;-)
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> Nice to see the survey front and center instead of as a sidebar!
>
> Felice

Glad you like it too, Felice <g>.

It started out as a 'quick' survey - supposedly with one short question
and 2 or 3 answer choices which used to look OK as a sidebar...
However, as things have turned out they can be anything but quick these
days <lol>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 10:28*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I'm probably average, altho my husband thinks I'm great. My teenager
keeps me humble<g>.

The only family member(s) who have criticised my cooking are my Mom
and sister. Mom likes plain food. Really plain, and I'm a throw-the-
spice-shelf-at-it kind of cook. Sis complains about everything, so I
take her comments with large chunks of rock salt.

I don't mind folks telling me how they like the food I serve.
Everyone has their own preferences, and not everyone will like
everything.

I've never had anyone complain about my desserts, tho.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

My brother once told me my mother hated my cornbread dressing. When I asked
her about it she said, "I've never had your cornbread dressing so how could
I hate it?" LOL, mom, and good question!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I get more compliments than suggestions, and I have a couple of friends
that prefer my cooking to going out to eat. So does my sister and
brother in law...

So I guess I'm ok. <shrugs>

I rate myself a 4.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:17:33 -0600:

>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> I get more compliments than suggestions, and I have a couple
> of friends that prefer my cooking to going out to eat. So
> does my sister and brother in law...

> So I guess I'm ok. <shrugs>

> I rate myself a 4.

Sorry Om, I couldn't resist thinking that the Dalai Lama would be be
extremely pretentious to say otherwise. "I do not judge the
universe". -- Dalai Lama
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:17:33 -0600:
>
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> > I get more compliments than suggestions, and I have a couple
> > of friends that prefer my cooking to going out to eat. So
> > does my sister and brother in law...

> > So I guess I'm ok. <shrugs>

> > I rate myself a 4.

> Sorry Om, I couldn't resist thinking that the Dalai Lama would be be
> extremely pretentious to say otherwise. "I do not judge the
> universe". -- Dalai Lama

<smiles>
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I give myself a 4. I try different things, experiment. Not
everythihg works.

If everything did come out perfectly, regularly - where's the fun in
that? It'd be a factory job. Even then, only an ass says "Your scale
goes to 5? I'm a 6!"

Criticism?

When the 5yo (grandniece or somthing) said "this is yuk!" I took her
plate to the compost and she had nothing for dinner. I don't take
crit from the unqualified.

On the other hand, I've had great dinner conversations about what we
were eating, how it could have different, better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Have no objections to unsolicited criticisms (doesn't happen often).
However, reserve the right to never invite that person back for another
meal LOL. That doesn't happen often either.

Criticise away; we don't need to listen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I'd have added a category under "Do you have anything against
*unsolicited* constructive criticism with regards to your cooking?" to
include "Depends on who is doing the criticising and my opinion of
*their* cooking!"

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I'm a middle-of-the-road cook so I gave myself a three... three and a
half would be more accurate. DH complains about my cooking
occasionally, but almost never because there's anything actually WRONG
with it. His usual complaint is 'you gave me too many vegetables'! or
'it's too spicy!' (he likes very plain food and he doesn't like
vegetables.) I only actually screw up a dish a couple of times a year,
usually when I try a new recipe... last week I made the Evil Chilli of
Doom - it tasted fine but gave us both killer indigestion afterwards
and I have no clue why! A few months ago I tried a fat-free brownie
recipe and it was an unmitigated disaster... and last month I made a
packet soup and it was VILE but that wasn't my fault - it was just
plain horrible tasting!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Compared to people here I'd say a 3 but in RL I'd say above average so
I voted 4. I think the difference is the variety of what I am willing
to make. Many people have a very sort list of dishes they can or will
attempt. A comment I get often is I make different dishes than what
most people cook at home.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Compared to people here I'd say a 3 but in RL I'd say above average so
> I voted 4. I think the difference is the variety of what I am willing
> to make. Many people have a very sort list of dishes they can or will
> attempt. A comment I get often is I make different dishes than what
> most people cook at home.
>
> Lou

<lol> I get comments at work that I eat weird stuff. The funny part
about that is that they'll even say that about lettuce wraps!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:59:57 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Compared to people here I'd say a 3 but in RL I'd say above average so
> I voted 4. I think the difference is the variety of what I am willing
> to make. Many people have a very sort list of dishes they can or will
> attempt. A comment I get often is I make different dishes than what
> most people cook at home.
>
> Lou

you do seem to have a finger in many different pies, lou. my hat's off to
you for that.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:10:31 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:59:57 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Compared to people here I'd say a 3 but in RL I'd say above average so
>> I voted 4. I think the difference is the variety of what I am willing
>> to make. Many people have a very sort list of dishes they can or will
>> attempt. A comment I get often is I make different dishes than what
>> most people cook at home.
>>
>> Lou

>you do seem to have a finger in many different pies, lou. my hat's off to
>you for that.

Thanks for that Blake. For me it's a hobby that turned into an
obsession. I started cooking because I thought it would be cheaper.
I've decided it's not cheaper but we eat much better than if we ate
out or ordered out. Either way hobbies are a great thing for people
to have. I know people who don't have any and they are boring and
draining to be around.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 10:28*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers *
> Chatty Cathy

My cooking isn't bad, but I still lack confidence when serving
guests. I would never try something new on company. It has to be
tried and true and prepped pretty much. I HATE guests watching me in
the kitchen and asking questions, like, 'Why are you doing that?' I'd
rather they just sit down and eat it and emit a little praise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 07:22:33 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:10:31 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:59:57 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:28:06 +0200, ChattyCathy

>>> Compared to people here I'd say a 3 but in RL I'd say above average so
>>> I voted 4. I think the difference is the variety of what I am willing
>>> to make. Many people have a very sort list of dishes they can or will
>>> attempt. A comment I get often is I make different dishes than what
>>> most people cook at home.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>you do seem to have a finger in many different pies, lou. my hat's off to
>>you for that.

> Thanks for that Blake. For me it's a hobby that turned into an
> obsession. I started cooking because I thought it would be cheaper.
> I've decided it's not cheaper but we eat much better than if we ate
> out or ordered out. Either way hobbies are a great thing for people
> to have. I know people who don't have any and they are boring and
> draining to be around.
>
> Lou

more tangible (if ephemeral) results than, say, building ships in bottles.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:03:14 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 07:22:33 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:10:31 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>you do seem to have a finger in many different pies, lou. my hat's off to
>>>you for that.

>> Thanks for that Blake. For me it's a hobby that turned into an
>> obsession. I started cooking because I thought it would be cheaper.
>> I've decided it's not cheaper but we eat much better than if we ate
>> out or ordered out. Either way hobbies are a great thing for people
>> to have. I know people who don't have any and they are boring and
>> draining to be around.
>>
>> Lou

>more tangible (if ephemeral) results than, say, building ships in bottles.

<laugh> No that wouldn't be me.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 1:26*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> My brother once told me my mother hated my cornbread dressing. *When I asked
> her about it she said, "I've never had your cornbread dressing so how could
> I hate it?" *LOL, mom, and good question!

What is a "cornbread dressing"? Stuffing for a bird or some kind of
sauce that one pours over the cornbread?

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
John Kane > wrote:

> What is a "cornbread dressing"? Stuffing for a bird or some kind of
> sauce that one pours over the cornbread?

The former.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
wrote:

> On Feb 27, 10:28*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> > --
> > Cheers *
> > Chatty Cathy

> My cooking isn't bad, but I still lack confidence when serving
> guests. I would never try something new on company. It has to be
> tried and true and prepped pretty much. I HATE guests watching me in
> the kitchen and asking questions, like, 'Why are you doing that?' I'd
> rather they just sit down and eat it and emit a little praise.

Hoo. Guests pretty much always get experiments, as I usually make stuff
up as I go along. ;-) The Shark Steaks I served to my last dinner guests
were a great success. They went back for seconds. <g>

I rarely follow recipes, but I have some "general formulas" that I
follow based on past experience for certain types of foods.

Dill and citrus is always a pretty good bet with any type of fish.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
My cooking isn't bad, but I still lack confidence when serving
guests. I would never try something new on company. It has to be
tried and true and prepped pretty much. I HATE guests watching me in
the kitchen and asking questions, like, 'Why are you doing that?' I'd
rather they just sit down and eat it and emit a little praise.

We always try at least one new dish. With some closer friends we often try
every dish as something new and they reciprocate. Over the years we've had
a couple of "could have been better" episodes, but never a complete
disaster.
I don't mind people watching. IMO, it is just another chance to teach,
perhaps learn, with others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:51:42 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

>On Feb 27, 10:28*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>> --
>> Cheers *
>> Chatty Cathy

>My cooking isn't bad, but I still lack confidence when serving
>guests. I would never try something new on company. It has to be
>tried and true and prepped pretty much. I HATE guests watching me in
>the kitchen and asking questions, like, 'Why are you doing that?' I'd
>rather they just sit down and eat it and emit a little praise.

When I was learning how to cook, guests often got first tries.
Mainly, everything tasted good... but timing was a huge issue. I
still remember the 6PM dinner (beef stroganoff) that didn't happen
until 10 because I didn't know how tough flank steak was. It was a
new cut to me.

Mae West