hahabogus

Default rate this recipe, please

I made up this recipe from looking at 7 or 8 spanish rice recipes from the
net. Because I have a pot luck coming up and Nancy would be mad at me if I
posted about grape jelly meatballs again. I didn't use hot spicing as I
live in Manitoba Canada and some of the people up here feel garlic powder
is a exotic spice. I did use as a last minute change a penzeys lemon garlic
blend called "Trinidad" instead of the plain garlic powder.I think it is
veggie heavy but feel a need to add peas or corn to it. What do you think?
Add peas or corn or both or no?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Alan's Spanish Rice

one pot recipes, Pot Luck

2 cups long-grain white rice; uncooked
4 cups V8 Juice
4 tbsp oil; see note1
1 tomato; seeded, diced
1 onion; diced
1/2 cup mushrooms; sliced
1 green bell pepper; diced
1 rib of celery; diced
1 can green chiles; small can
3-4 mild Italian Sausages; see note2
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
black pepper; to taste

Cook the sausages till well cooked and nicely browned. cut them up into
bite sized pieces.

In 1-2 tbsp of the oil brown the rice, should look golden, reserve rice
.. In the same pan cook the mushrooms and wilt the onion in the other 1-2
tbsp oil.

Dump the lot in rice cooker and start it up

Notes

Note1:Possibly reserve pan dripping from sausages to brown rice and veggies
in.

Note2: I used mild sausage, but I can't see why hot Italian sausage
couldn't be used .

Alternate method of cooking

1) Rinse rice with water. Fry rice in the oil. On low heat, stir
until light brown. Add tomato, onions and mushrooms. Stir until well
cooked. Add
V8 juice with garlic, cumin and pepper to taste. Add chiles,bell
pepper and celery.

2) Simmer on a low heat with a cover on. (Add water if necessary
until rice is puffy and soft) Rice will be done when puffy and soft
with little or no water left.

Contributor: Alan

Yield: 6 servings

Preparation Time: :30

Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Curly Sue

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:09:46 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>I made up this recipe from looking at 7 or 8 spanish rice recipes from the
>net.

Hey, I'm making Spanish rice today! A random coincidence? Maybe...

>Because I have a pot luck coming up and Nancy would be mad at me if I
>posted about grape jelly meatballs again. I didn't use hot spicing as I
>live in Manitoba Canada and some of the people up here feel garlic powder
>is a exotic spice. I did use as a last minute change a penzeys lemon garlic
>blend called "Trinidad" instead of the plain garlic powder.I think it is
>veggie heavy but feel a need to add peas or corn to it. What do you think?
>Add peas or corn or both or no?

Corn. I love either with rice, but somehow corn seems to be more
appropriate in this case.

It sounds good, if rather complicated for "Spanish Rice."

>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Alan's Spanish Rice
>
>one pot recipes, Pot Luck
>
>2 cups long-grain white rice; uncooked
>4 cups V8 Juice
>4 tbsp oil; see note1
>1 tomato; seeded, diced
>1 onion; diced
>1/2 cup mushrooms; sliced
>1 green bell pepper; diced
>1 rib of celery; diced
>1 can green chiles; small can
>3-4 mild Italian Sausages; see note2
>1 tsp garlic powder
>1 tsp cumin
> black pepper; to taste
>

>Cook the sausages till well cooked and nicely browned. cut them up into
>bite sized pieces.
>
>In 1-2 tbsp of the oil brown the rice, should look golden, reserve rice
>. In the same pan cook the mushrooms and wilt the onion in the other 1-2
>tbsp oil.
>
>Dump the lot in rice cooker and start it up
>
>Notes
>
>Note1:Possibly reserve pan dripping from sausages to brown rice and veggies
>in.
>
>Note2: I used mild sausage, but I can't see why hot Italian sausage
>couldn't be used .
>
>Alternate method of cooking
>
>1) Rinse rice with water. Fry rice in the oil. On low heat, stir
>until light brown. Add tomato, onions and mushrooms. Stir until well
>cooked. Add
>V8 juice with garlic, cumin and pepper to taste. Add chiles,bell
>pepper and celery.
>
>2) Simmer on a low heat with a cover on. (Add water if necessary
>until rice is puffy and soft) Rice will be done when puffy and soft
>with little or no water left.
>
>Contributor: Alan
>
>Yield: 6 servings
>
>Preparation Time: :30
>

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.65 **
>

>--
>Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
>and water.
>--------
>FIELDS, W. C.

Sue(tm)
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:09:46 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>I made up this recipe from looking at 7 or 8 spanish rice recipes from the
>net. Because I have a pot luck coming up and Nancy would be mad at me if I
>posted about grape jelly meatballs again. I didn't use hot spicing as I
>live in Manitoba Canada and some of the people up here feel garlic powder
>is a exotic spice. I did use as a last minute change a penzeys lemon garlic
>blend called "Trinidad" instead of the plain garlic powder.I think it is
>veggie heavy but feel a need to add peas or corn to it. What do you think?
>Add peas or corn or both or no?

It sounds as if it would work, but I don't understand the point of
garlic powder. Why not just mince a clove or three of garlic?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.
Katra

In article >,
Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:09:46 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
> >I made up this recipe from looking at 7 or 8 spanish rice recipes from the
> >net. Because I have a pot luck coming up and Nancy would be mad at me if I
> >posted about grape jelly meatballs again. I didn't use hot spicing as I
> >live in Manitoba Canada and some of the people up here feel garlic powder
> >is a exotic spice. I did use as a last minute change a penzeys lemon garlic
> >blend called "Trinidad" instead of the plain garlic powder.I think it is
> >veggie heavy but feel a need to add peas or corn to it. What do you think?
> >Add peas or corn or both or no?

> It sounds as if it would work, but I don't understand the point of
> garlic powder. Why not just mince a clove or three of garlic?
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes

It's not the same. Not really.
Garlic flavorness without the nasty side effects...

I used to use a lot of minced garlic but I'd always pay for it. I'd burp
it for hours, my sweat would smell like garlic and my mouth/saliva would
taste like garlic.

Now, I DO like garlic but that got to be just plain nasty!!!

Using the powder, I can enjoy it and not pay for it later.

Roasted garlic is ok, it's only fresh garlic that does this to me...

I've also read that if you are eating garlic for the therapeutic effect,
garlic powder is better than cooked garlic. I'll leave you to do your
own googling on that. <G>

It's also downright convenient.

Just my 2 cents.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

hahabogus

Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote in
:

> It sounds as if it would work, but I don't understand the point of
> garlic powder. Why not just mince a clove or three of garlic?

Where this pot luck is being held garlic powder is a known and understood
entity. People will eat the dish plus it is hard to get good garlic
here....The cumin and green chiles will be almost not heard of... very
exotic. At home for myself, close friends or family 4 cloves minced would
do the trick if I could find a desent quality fairly close to home. Hate
those garlic cloves where there is a very green almost sprouted
bitter tasting center.

Oh the recipe works fine (tested it last weekend)...but should I add corn
or peas or both or neither? I lean towards adding just the peas but curly
sue likes just the corn idea better. I think it is kinda veggie heavy now
but feel the need to add peas. So I was asking for a consensus to either
talk me into or outof it. If I add peas I would change to a yellow bell
pepper too. Just for color reasons.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"hahabogus" > wrote in message

> Where this pot luck is being held garlic powder is a known and understood
> entity. People will eat the dish plus it is hard to get good garlic
> here....

<snip>

So true! Lately it has been very difficult to find good garlic! There's a
man at the St. Norbert's Farmers' Market that sells pungent flavourful
garlic. We tend to buy a lot of it whenever he's there. It's a bit
expensive, though, and the heads are relatively small.

> Oh the recipe works fine (tested it last weekend)...but should I add corn
> or peas or both or neither? I lean towards adding just the peas but curly
> sue likes just the corn idea better. I think it is kinda veggie heavy now
> but feel the need to add peas. So I was asking for a consensus to either
> talk me into or outof it. If I add peas I would change to a yellow bell
> pepper too. Just for color reasons.

I would say neither but since you're cooking for Winnipegers...both! Or
just for fun, mix the peas and corn and form a border around the rim of the
plate or serving dish with them. They will be very impressed with your
dish!

rona

hahabogus

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> I would say neither but since you're cooking for Winnipegers...both!
> Or just for fun, mix the peas and corn and form a border around the
> rim of the plate or serving dish with them. They will be very
> impressed with your dish!
>
> rona

I never considered using the peas and corn as a garnish (a nice touch)...I
had hoped to make it on site (office lunch room) and keep it warm as well
in a rice cooker. That would limit garnish to on top of the dish. Perhaps
fanned out quartered hard boiled eggs inside green pepper rings?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

Chicago Cutlery: plz rate ++ Kalmia General Cooking 58 25-07-2013 08:23 AM
(2009-02-27) NS-RFC: How would you rate your own cooking? ChattyCathy General Cooking 29 05-03-2009 03:57 AM
What failure rate? [email protected] Preserving 17 14-05-2006 12:18 PM
rate my site please jessica Recipes 3 03-03-2005 04:25 PM
Can you rate this recipe? W ä l r ü s Winemaking 25 10-08-2004 01:36 AM