MC

Default Pinot Noir is too tannic

Dear All

I have a problem with my Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2003 as it seems too tannic.

I added (from a some what secure source) during fermentation some tannin for
the colour but the vintage had enough in it without adding this.

The colour is a nice dark red (more like a Rhone then a Bourgogne) and the
nose is open,fruity and very nice but in the mouth the wine leaves a bitter
tannic taste.

I have fined a first time with a product called "Peale" and I have a fined a
second time with "Gelatine".

What other techniques to have available to make the wine more supple and
less tannic?

Will age simply do the job for me?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers
Marc

Tom S

"MC" > wrote in message
> I have fined a first time with a product called "Peale" and I have a fined

> second time with "Gelatine".
>
> What other techniques to have available to make the wine more supple and
> less tannic?

How _much_ gelatin did you use? For a case like that I'd guess that you'd
need at least 1 lb./1000 gallons, which amounts to 1 ml of a 9% solution per
750 ml of wine.

Tom S

MC

Dear Tom

I was advised to use 7cl/ the hectolitre. (I think this was a 10% solution).

Is fining the only solution to deduce the tannin?

Thanks

Marc

"Tom S" > a écrit dans le message de
m...

> "MC" > wrote in message
> > I have fined a first time with a product called "Peale" and I have a

fined
> > second time with "Gelatine".
> >
> > What other techniques to have available to make the wine more supple and
> > less tannic?

> How _much_ gelatin did you use? For a case like that I'd guess that you'd
> need at least 1 lb./1000 gallons, which amounts to 1 ml of a 9% solution

per
> 750 ml of wine.
>
> Tom S

Tom S

"MC" > wrote in message
> Dear Tom
>
> I was advised to use 7cl/ the hectolitre. (I think this was a 10%

solution).

That's about half what I recommended - assuming my calculations are correct.
I calculated ~12cl/hl of a 10% solution would be 1 lb./1000 gal.

> Is fining the only solution to deduce the tannin?

Time will help, but no guarantee on that. I'd try hitting it a bit harder
with gelatin. So far you've only given it a light to moderate dose.

Tom S

MC

Dear Tom

Thanks for your info, Same problem with a lot of things like this, I am
afraid to add too much and have nothing left at the end.

At least I know what I will do with my Pinot Noir 2004, make too different
styles, one lighter, more fruity and the other like this more tannic to age.

Thanks again for info.

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
Best Pinot Noir within $40? Professor Wine 31 11-12-2006 02:22 AM
Under $15 Pinot Noir suggestions ? Dick R. Wine 27 29-11-2004 01:25 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM