Ali Day

Default Old Wine question

Hi,
I realise this isn't really the correct NG, but can find no other in use
that is similar.

I have been given three bottles of wine A chateau neuf du pape 1976, St
Emillion 1973, and another which I don't have the name of but will get later
1976. I don't know the vineyeards of the top of my head. But is there
anywhere online I can find if the wine is likely to have kept, what to look
for in the wine, or if it is likely to be vinegar.
They've been stored horizintally in a basement for the last 25 years, and
the colour looks OK, except one which is quite light.

or is it all a gamble?

Thanks

Ali

William Frazier

Ali Day wrote;
"I have been given three bottles of wine A chateau neuf du pape 1976, St
Emillion 1973, and another which I don't have the name of but will get later
1976. I don't know the vineyeards of the top of my head. But is there
anywhere online I can find if the wine is likely to have kept, what to look
for in the wine, or if it is likely to be vinegar. They've been stored
horizintally in a basement for the last 25 years, and the colour looks OK,
except one which is quite light. or is it all a gamble?"

Do the corks look intact? Best way to tell is to open them and taste. What
do you have to lose?

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

Ali Day

> "I have been given three bottles of wine A chateau neuf du pape 1976, St
> Emillion 1973, and another which I don't have the name of but will get

later
> 1976. I don't know the vineyeards of the top of my head. But is there
> anywhere online I can find if the wine is likely to have kept, what to

look
> for in the wine, or if it is likely to be vinegar. They've been stored
> horizintally in a basement for the last 25 years, and the colour looks OK,
> except one which is quite light. or is it all a gamble?"
>
> Do the corks look intact? Best way to tell is to open them and taste.

What
> do you have to lose?
>
> Bill Frazier

The cork all still have their hard 'wax', seals on them and look ok. I
don't want to just drink them but maybe save them for 'the' special
occasions, but don't want to open vinegar to guests.

Thanks

Ali

Tom S

"Ali Day" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I realise this isn't really the correct NG, but can find no other in use
> that is similar.

Try the alt.food.wine newsgroup. Lots of knowledgeable wine afficionados
there.

Tom S

Ali Day

"Tom S" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Ali Day" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I realise this isn't really the correct NG, but can find no other in use
> > that is similar.

> Try the alt.food.wine newsgroup. Lots of knowledgeable wine afficionados
> there.

Hi Tom, thanks. I tried there but all there was was a couple of spam porn
messages. Maybe I can't pick it up through work.

Cheers

Michael

"Ali Day" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I realise this isn't really the correct NG, but can find no other in use
> that is similar.
>
> I have been given three bottles of wine A chateau neuf du pape 1976, St
> Emillion 1973, and another which I don't have the name of but will get

later
> 1976. I don't know the vineyeards of the top of my head. But is there
> anywhere online I can find if the wine is likely to have kept,

> or is it all a gamble?

'73 was not a real good year for Bordeaux

http://www.wine-pages.com/vintage.shtml#part2

The '76 du Pape seems like a maybe also. If the other btl is a '76 Bordeaux
it might be ok.

http://www.wine-pages.com/vintage.shtml#part2

Lum

"Ali Day" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I realise this isn't really the correct NG, but can find no other in use
> that is similar.
>
> I have been given three bottles of wine A chateau neuf du pape 1976, St
> Emillion 1973, and another which I don't have the name of but will get

later
> 1976. I don't know the vineyeards of the top of my head. But is there
> anywhere online I can find if the wine is likely to have kept, what to

look
> for in the wine, or if it is likely to be vinegar.
> They've been stored horizintally in a basement for the last 25 years, and
> the colour looks OK, except one which is quite light.
>
> or is it all a gamble?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ali

Hi Ali,
I don't think your three wines will be very good. They may not be vinegar,
but I think you will be lucky if they are "drinkable."
Good luck,
lum

Ray

First, if they have gone bad, they will not poison you, they will just taste
bad. So you can try them safely and toss them if you do not like them. No
pathogens live in wine. If they are vinegar you will know it on smelling or
tasting.

That is a long time to keep most wines. The fact that one has faded
indicates they were in too much light and maybe not kept at the right
temperature.

If you want to keep them just so you can say you have them, then do so and
do not worry about them being good. If you want to drink them, then try
them soon. They will certainly not improve. I would suggest trying them
with friends. Even if they are bad, your friends will know you think enough
of them to let them in on the fun. But have some good wine on hand as back
up.

Ray

"Ali Day" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I realise this isn't really the correct NG, but can find no other in use
> that is similar.
>
> I have been given three bottles of wine A chateau neuf du pape 1976, St
> Emillion 1973, and another which I don't have the name of but will get

later
> 1976. I don't know the vineyeards of the top of my head. But is there
> anywhere online I can find if the wine is likely to have kept, what to

look
> for in the wine, or if it is likely to be vinegar.
> They've been stored horizintally in a basement for the last 25 years, and
> the colour looks OK, except one which is quite light.
>
> or is it all a gamble?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ali

Ali Day

"Ray" > wrote in message
m...
> First, if they have gone bad, they will not poison you, they will just

taste
> bad. So you can try them safely and toss them if you do not like them.

No
> pathogens live in wine. If they are vinegar you will know it on smelling

or
> tasting.
>
> That is a long time to keep most wines. The fact that one has faded
> indicates they were in too much light and maybe not kept at the right
> temperature.
>
> If you want to keep them just so you can say you have them, then do so and
> do not worry about them being good. If you want to drink them, then try
> them soon. They will certainly not improve. I would suggest trying them
> with friends. Even if they are bad, your friends will know you think

enough
> of them to let them in on the fun. But have some good wine on hand as

back
> up.
>
> Ray

thanks everyone

Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Winemaking 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Wine 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Newbie wine question -red wine CabFan Wine 5 19-07-2004 11:50 PM
Newbie wine question -red wine Al Wine 1 18-07-2004 05:45 PM
Wine Question dick Wine 3 02-05-2004 11:08 PM