Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

Default Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench]

Hi:

In the following experiment, I take one of the dryest types of French
white wine that -- of all the French white wines -- is also aged the
most [whatever this wine is]. I place this wine in some sort of
equipment that protects the wine from any and all defects excluding
non-acidic bacterial decomposition. IOW, the only degradation this wine
suffer is that caused by anaerobic bacteria [excluding acetic acid
bacteria and lactic acid bacteria]. The wine container is then filled
with these bacteria. The bacteria initially break down all organic
compounds in the wine -- excluding ethanol -- and then produce waste
products. After this, a seperate bacterium -- Clostridium kluyveri --
is introduced into the wine. Clostridium kluyveri is allowed to feed on
50% of the ethanol in the wine by the following chemical equation:

Ethanol + Acetate + CO2 --> Caproate + Butyrate + H2

Once the above process is finished, any and all sulfides are removed
from the wine. This removes the "rotten egg" odor from the wine that
results from the anaerobes feeding on proteins initially present in the
wine. After this, any chemicals -- excluding water -- that do not have
odors or do not affect odors are removed.

AFAIK, the caproate smells like goat-sweat, and butyrate smells like
rancid butter.

What else would my wine smell like?

Thanks,

Radium

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

Please do not feed the troll!

Radium wrote:
> Hi:

{snip}

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

In article .com>, "Radium" > wrote:

[snip]

Maybe the lack of responses is in itself a response. Your nonsense is getting
old.
Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

Radium wrote:

> What else would my wine smell like?

42

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

In article . com>, " > wrote:

>Radium wrote:
>>
>> What else would my wine smell like?

>42

Darn. Wish I'd thought of that.

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

wrote:
> Radium wrote:
> >
> > What else would my wine smell like?

> 42

Huh?

Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Winemaking 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench Radium Winemaking 2 03-07-2006 11:42 PM
Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench Radium Wine 2 03-07-2006 11:42 PM
Question? Pls. answer! G&G Wine 3 26-08-2005 03:16 PM
How do you answer this question? cl Barbecue 6 16-04-2005 03:54 AM