CabFan

Default Newbie wine question -red wine

On 17-Jul-2004, "Al" > wrote:

> I just satrted drinking red wines a few month ago. Unless there is a big
> event, I usually drink wines under $15. Would you please recommend some
> red
> wines that taste good without paring with any food? I enjoy having
> different
> kind of red wines with my dinners, but don't have experience drinking red
> wine alone. Thank you very much.

A couple of ones that my wife and I drink alone include "Big House Red" from
Bonny Doon (about $10), Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel ($12-15 depending on which
one), Beaujolais (single village such as Morgon or Fluerie, depending on
producer about $10-13), or Wishing Tree Shiraz (about $11).

Cheers!
Gary
Ian Hayward

I'm drinking a good red quaffer right now, Jamieson's Run Coonawarra
cab/shiraz/merlot blend. Smooth and easy, but with a taste of quality. GB£7-8 is
probably about the right equivalent. The Castillero del Diablo range from Chile is
another of my favourite "everyday" reds.
Cab Fan, have you heard or tried anything from Cousino Macul recently?

http://www.casillerodeldiablo.cl/800.../productos.htm

Regards,

Ian

"CabFan" > wrote in message

> On 17-Jul-2004, "Al" > wrote:
>
> > I just satrted drinking red wines a few month ago. Unless there is a big
> > event, I usually drink wines under $15. Would you please recommend some
> > red
> > wines that taste good without paring with any food? I enjoy having
> > different
> > kind of red wines with my dinners, but don't have experience drinking red
> > wine alone. Thank you very much.

> A couple of ones that my wife and I drink alone include "Big House Red" from
> Bonny Doon (about $10), Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel ($12-15 depending on which
> one), Beaujolais (single village such as Morgon or Fluerie, depending on
> producer about $10-13), or Wishing Tree Shiraz (about $11).
>
> Cheers!
> Gary

Ian Hayward

They are not readily available in UK; I bought a bottle by chance (about GB£8, I
think) of their 1996 Cabernet, and it was just the best Chilean cab I have ever
tasted. I have tried in vain since to find some more. One particularly stuffy UK
wine journalist dismissed them as being "old style", but if that is old style, then
give me more. This is apparently the USA distributor:

http://www.cousinomacul.cl/detalle.a...8&CodigoPais=7

Regards,

Ian

"CabFan" > wrote in message

> On 18-Jul-2004, "Ian Hayward" > wrote:
>
> > I'm drinking a good red quaffer right now, Jamieson's Run Coonawarra
> > cab/shiraz/merlot blend. Smooth and easy, but with a taste of quality.
> > GB£7-8 is
> > probably about the right equivalent. The Castillero del Diablo range from
> > Chile is
> > another of my favourite "everyday" reds.
> > Cab Fan, have you heard or tried anything from Cousino Macul recently?
> >
> > http://www.casillerodeldiablo.cl/800.../productos.htm
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ian

> Ian, I have heard of them and read some reviews, but alas they are not yet
> available in Alabama. When they become available, do you have any
> recommendations?
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Ian Hayward

"CabFan" > wrote in message

> On 18-Jul-2004, "Ian Hayward" > wrote:
>
> > I'm drinking a good red quaffer right now, Jamieson's Run Coonawarra
> > cab/shiraz/merlot blend. Smooth and easy, but with a taste of quality.
> > GB£7-8 is
> > probably about the right equivalent. The Castillero del Diablo range from
> > Chile is
> > another of my favourite "everyday" reds.
> > Cab Fan, have you heard or tried anything from Cousino Macul recently?
> >
> > http://www.casillerodeldiablo.cl/800.../productos.htm
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ian

> Ian, I have heard of them and read some reviews, but alas they are not yet
> available in Alabama. When they become available, do you have any
> recommendations?
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Ian Hayward

Here's a link for Alabama.

http://www.billingtonwines.com/find/distributors.asp#al

"CabFan" > wrote in message

> On 18-Jul-2004, "Ian Hayward" > wrote:
>
> > I'm drinking a good red quaffer right now, Jamieson's Run Coonawarra
> > cab/shiraz/merlot blend. Smooth and easy, but with a taste of quality.
> > GB£7-8 is
> > probably about the right equivalent. The Castillero del Diablo range from
> > Chile is
> > another of my favourite "everyday" reds.
> > Cab Fan, have you heard or tried anything from Cousino Macul recently?
> >
> > http://www.casillerodeldiablo.cl/800.../productos.htm
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ian

> Ian, I have heard of them and read some reviews, but alas they are not yet
> available in Alabama. When they become available, do you have any
> recommendations?
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Ian Hayward

"CabFan" > wrote in message

> On 18-Jul-2004, "Ian Hayward" > wrote:
>
> > I'm drinking a good red quaffer right now, Jamieson's Run Coonawarra
> > cab/shiraz/merlot blend. Smooth and easy, but with a taste of quality.
> > GB£7-8 is
> > probably about the right equivalent. The Castillero del Diablo range from
> > Chile is
> > another of my favourite "everyday" reds.
> > Cab Fan, have you heard or tried anything from Cousino Macul recently?
> >
> > http://www.casillerodeldiablo.cl/800.../productos.htm
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ian

> Ian, I have heard of them and read some reviews, but alas they are not yet
> available in Alabama. When they become available, do you have any
> recommendations?
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Newbie Question-Wine Coolers/Cellars Steve Dannenbaum Wine 14 05-09-2005 11:12 AM
Newbie question about stabilizing wine Steve Margita Winemaking 4 02-06-2005 03:36 AM
Newbie wine question -red wine Al Wine 1 18-07-2004 05:45 PM
Newbie wine question: Flavors Vincent Wine 12 16-07-2004 04:00 AM
Newbie wine question: Storage Vincent Wine 3 13-07-2004 02:25 AM