Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Does anyone else have any good experience adding chocolate to wine?

I have been hoping to solve the chocolate in wine technique. Would
like to hear about the methods anyone is using to incorporate the
chocolate or cocoa into the wine. At what stage- primary, secondary
or at bottling? Any
special techniques? I blended some chocolate with some cherry wine
(post bottling and pre-imbibe). It was good but muddy. You can
answer in forum or personal email.

I'm working on a second home winemaking book with a section on wine
and chocolate (I make chocolate truffles, some using wines I make).
I will give credit in the new book to anyone that provides info I
use.

Thanks,
Gammagal
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Gammagal wrote:

> I have been hoping to solve the chocolate in wine technique. Would
> like to hear about the methods anyone is using to incorporate the
> chocolate or cocoa into the wine. At what stage- primary, secondary
> or at bottling? Any
> special techniques? I blended some chocolate with some cherry wine
> (post bottling and pre-imbibe). It was good but muddy. You can
> answer in forum or personal email.
>
> I'm working on a second home winemaking book with a section on wine
> and chocolate (I make chocolate truffles, some using wines I make).
> I will give credit in the new book to anyone that provides info I
> use.
>
> Thanks,
> Gammagal

Stevia (a nonfermentable natural sweetner) has a product with a chocolate
flavor. You could try adding a few drops to a glass of wine to see how you
like it. I buy it from the local health food store in liquid form. They
also have it unflavored which is a great way to sweeting anything you like.
I have a Stevia plant in my herb garden. The leaves have a very sweet
taste. Enjoy.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
> Gammagal wrote:
>
>> I have been hoping to solve the chocolate in wine technique. Would
>> like to hear about the methods anyone is using to incorporate the
>> chocolate or cocoa into the wine. At what stage- primary, secondary
>> or at bottling? Any
>> special techniques? I blended some chocolate with some cherry wine
>> (post bottling and pre-imbibe). It was good but muddy. You can
>> answer in forum or personal email.
>>
>> I'm working on a second home winemaking book with a section on wine
>> and chocolate (I make chocolate truffles, some using wines I make).
>> I will give credit in the new book to anyone that provides info I
>> use.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gammagal

> Stevia (a nonfermentable natural sweetner) has a product with a chocolate
> flavor. You could try adding a few drops to a glass of wine to see how
> you
> like it. I buy it from the local health food store in liquid form. They
> also have it unflavored which is a great way to sweeting anything you
> like.
> I have a Stevia plant in my herb garden. The leaves have a very sweet
> taste. Enjoy.
>
> Paul

A few years back I won several "Best of Show" ribbons with my chocolate
mead. I simply added 8 ounces per gallon of Hershey's chocolate syrup to the
finished mead and stirred well. The syrup seemed to act as a fining agent.
The mead dropped perfectly clear within 48 hours. All the solids from the
syrup dropped out but left the flavor behind. A few drops of good vanilla
per gallon will add depth of flavor without one being able to taste vanilla.

Cheers,
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 31, 11:57*am, "Steve Peek" > wrote:
> "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in messagenews:1N2dnfdHdqQ530_UnZ2dnUVZ_hiWnZ2d@gigan ews.com...
>

> > Gammagal wrote:

> >> *I have been hoping to solve the chocolate in wine technique. *Would
> >> like to hear about the methods anyone is using to incorporate the
> >> chocolate or cocoa into the wine. * *At what stage- primary, secondary
> >> or at bottling? *Any
> >> special techniques? * *I blended some chocolate with some cherry wine
> >> (post bottling and pre-imbibe). *It was good but muddy. * You can
> >> answer in forum or personal email.

> >> I'm working on a second home winemaking book with a section on wine
> >> and chocolate (I make chocolate truffles, some using wines I make).
> >> I will give credit in the new book to anyone that provides info I
> >> use.

> >> * Thanks,
> >> *Gammagal

> > Stevia (a nonfermentable natural sweetner) has a product with a chocolate
> > flavor. *You could try adding a few drops to a glass of wine to see how
> > you
> > like it. *I buy it from the local health food store in liquid form. *They
> > also have it unflavored which is a great way to sweeting anything you
> > like.
> > I have a Stevia plant in my herb garden. *The leaves have a very sweet
> > taste. *Enjoy.

> > Paul

> A few years back I won several "Best of Show" ribbons with my chocolate
> mead. I simply added 8 ounces per gallon of Hershey's chocolate syrup to the
> finished mead and stirred well. The syrup seemed to act as a fining agent..
> The mead dropped perfectly clear within 48 hours. All the solids from the
> syrup dropped out but left the flavor behind. A few drops of good vanilla
> per gallon will add depth of flavor without one being able to taste vanilla.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Steve. I will give that a try this July when I make my bing
cherry wine from freshy harvested cherries. I agree on the vanilla - I
use it when making chocolate truffles (go well with wine). It does
add depth of flavor.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 31, 9:18*am, "Paul E. Lehmann" >
wrote:
> Gammagal wrote:
> > *I have been hoping to solve the chocolate in wine technique. *Would
> > like to hear about the methods anyone is using to incorporate the
> > chocolate or cocoa into the wine. * *At what stage- primary, secondary
> > or at bottling? *Any
> > special techniques? * *I blended some chocolate with some cherry wine
> > (post bottling and pre-imbibe). *It was good but muddy. * You can
> > answer in forum or personal email.

> > I'm working on a second home winemaking book with a section on wine
> > and chocolate (I make chocolate truffles, some using wines I make).
> > I will give credit in the new book to anyone that provides info I
> > use.

> > * Thanks,
> > *Gammagal

> Stevia (a nonfermentable natural sweetner) has a product with a chocolate
> flavor. *You could try adding a few drops to a glass of wine to see how you
> like it. *I buy it from the local health food store in liquid form. *They
> also have it unflavored which is a great way to sweeting anything you like.
> I have a Stevia plant in my herb garden. *The leaves have a very sweet
> taste. *Enjoy.
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Hi Paul, I use stevia, too, but haven't tried their chocolate flavored
drops. I usually don't want to sweeten wines. But it might be a
good quick way to see if chocolate goes with a particular wine.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Here's a link to some information on Jack Keller's site that you might find
useful. Jack recommends using Hershey's cocoa powder in chocolate wines.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog9.asp

Peace,
Steve