Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The When and Why on adding Wine to Recipes? Help!!

I was making a soup tonight that said to add all the ingredients
(Broth, butter, herbs, etc.) and simmer for an hour before adding the
wine and simmering for another two hours. So I accidentally added the
wine at the beginning and was wondering how badly I screwed up? Why
should you wait an hour? Is it simply because it will evaporate?
Should I add more at the hour mark? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cookie1973 wrote on 23 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I was making a soup tonight that said to add all the ingredients
> (Broth, butter, herbs, etc.) and simmer for an hour before adding the
> wine and simmering for another two hours. So I accidentally added the
> wine at the beginning and was wondering how badly I screwed up? Why
> should you wait an hour? Is it simply because it will evaporate?
> Should I add more at the hour mark? Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Not a biggie mistake. The idea was to develop some flavours from the
other ingredients before adding the wine. So basically it will taste
almost the way it should of, if the wine was added later. 2 hours seems
excessive to me though. More like 15 minutes before serving is when I add
the wine. The last 15 minutes of the simmer.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cookie1973 > wrote:
>I was making a soup tonight that said to add all the ingredients
>(Broth, butter, herbs, etc.) and simmer for an hour before adding the
>wine and simmering for another two hours. So I accidentally added the
>wine at the beginning and was wondering how badly I screwed up? Why
>should you wait an hour? Is it simply because it will evaporate?
>Should I add more at the hour mark? Any suggestions would be greatly
>appreciated.

The acid or alcohol might inhibit something that happens
during that hour.

What kind of soup?

--Blair
"And did you make enough for
everyone?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Cookie1973 > wrote:
> >I was making a soup tonight that said to add all the ingredients
> >(Broth, butter, herbs, etc.) and simmer for an hour before adding the
> >wine and simmering for another two hours. So I accidentally added the
> >wine at the beginning and was wondering how badly I screwed up? Why
> >should you wait an hour? Is it simply because it will evaporate?
> >Should I add more at the hour mark? Any suggestions would be greatly
> >appreciated.

> The acid or alcohol might inhibit something that happens
> during that hour.
>
> What kind of soup?
>
> --Blair
> "And did you make enough for
> everyone?"

Just for those of you wondering what i was making, it is called Killer
Shrimp. It is a copy cat recipe from an awesome restaurant (with the
same name) in LA.

Here's the recipe. http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/86991.asp

I was striving to make it exactly as in the restaurant and my
perfectionist/OCD kicked in. I'll let you all know how it turned
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cookie1973 > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> What kind of soup?

>Just for those of you wondering what i was making, it is called Killer
>Shrimp. It is a copy cat recipe from an awesome restaurant (with the
>same name) in LA.

Too funny.

My sister used to work there. Late 80s or early 90s.
I forget which celebrities she ratted-out as jerks
or this story would be longer...

>Here's the recipe. http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/86991.asp
>
>I was striving to make it exactly as in the restaurant and my
>perfectionist/OCD kicked in. I'll let you all know how it turned
>out.

Could be difficult. One of the ingredients was probably
cocaine.

--Blair