Mark L.

Default Adding acid to finished wine

I have a Cab. Franc (20 gals.) and a Zin-Carignane(15 gals) still in
bulk. The wines taste very low in acid. I have an acid testing kit.
If I find that the levels are indeed too low, can I add acid blend at
this time without ruining the wine? The juices were obtained from Vin
Bon (2003). I have heard positive and a lot negative about these
juices. I was under the impression that these juices were already
balanced. Any advice would be helpful.

Mark L.
Buffalo-Niagara USA
Tom S

"Mark L." > wrote in message
om...
> I have a Cab. Franc (20 gals.) and a Zin-Carignane(15 gals) still in
> bulk. The wines taste very low in acid. I have an acid testing kit.
> If I find that the levels are indeed too low, can I add acid blend at
> this time without ruining the wine?

If you intend to adjust acid now, just before bottling, do _not_ use acid
blend. It contains malic acid; a shot of that could start ML fermentation
all over again. Maybe not right away, but after bottling - and that
wouldn't be a good thing.

Add tartaric if you must, but I recommend that you do tasting trials. Be
sure to cold stabilize the wine after the addition (to drop out the excess
bitartrate), but before the tasting trials. The wine will need some time to
recover after you do an acid adjustment.

You'll be amazed at how little acid you can add without the wine tasting too
tart. This is one of the reasons that acid adjustments are always best done
_before_ fermentation.

Tom S

Ray

There is nothing wrong with adjusting acid after bulk aging. There are
those who argue that it should be done during fermentation and they are
probably right, but you can only adjust measured acidity, not balance to
taste at the start of fermentation.

At this point, if the acidity tests to be too low then you should add acid.
If it does not test to low but it tastes too low then you should add acid.

Be careful though, you can easily add too much acid when adjusting to taste.
It think that in repeated tasting as you add wine in small amounts your
taste can become dulled. My suggestion is that if you do not reach your
target taste in one addition, then do not adjust all the way to taste. Stop
short, leave it for a few weeks or a month to totally integrate, and then
try again. I have adjusted to taste where I did several adjustments and
then found a few months later that I had gone too far.

Ray

om...

Adding Acid Wayne Harris Winemaking 17 22-03-2008 11:22 PM
Oaking a finished wine GJG Wichita Winemaking 5 03-05-2007 04:01 AM
Alcohol in Finished Wine Danny Winemaking 8 02-11-2005 08:21 PM
Adding acid post fermentation? Bonaquisti Winemaking 3 24-09-2004 07:37 PM
Acid adjustment in finished wine? Vinbrew Supply Winemaking 13 31-08-2004 06:15 PM