alien

Default adding yeast to a sorbated wine?

Hello,

I had a look at some wine I bottled a few weeks back and it looks like I
was too early. They had more sediment than I was comfortable with and a
slight cloudiness to them. I emptied them back into a demijohn with
half a crushed camped tablet. There wasn't enough to fill the demijohn,
so I added 1.5 pints of water with about 1/2 lb of orange blossom honey
and about 1/4 lb sugar, followed by a new yeast starter. I can't
remember sorbating the wine, though it's possible that I did. Am I
right in thinking that sorbate just prevents yeast from breeding and not
from making alcohol? If so, will the yeast survive long enough to work
on the sugar and honey I added? I hope so, I tasted the wine before
hand and I think the honey will be a perfect addition to it.
Steve

alien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a look at some wine I bottled a few weeks back and it looks

like I
> was too early. They had more sediment than I was comfortable with

and a
> slight cloudiness to them. I emptied them back into a demijohn with
> half a crushed camped tablet. There wasn't enough to fill the

demijohn,
> so I added 1.5 pints of water with about 1/2 lb of orange blossom

honey
> and about 1/4 lb sugar, followed by a new yeast starter. I can't
> remember sorbating the wine, though it's possible that I did. Am I
> right in thinking that sorbate just prevents yeast from breeding and

not
> from making alcohol? If so, will the yeast survive long enough to

work
> on the sugar and honey I added? I hope so, I tasted the wine before
> hand and I think the honey will be a perfect addition to it.

If you added sorbate to the wine, then the yeast will not multiply. Has
it started fermenting? If not, you may have your answer

Steve

alien

Steve wrote:
> alien wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I had a look at some wine I bottled a few weeks back and it looks

> like I
>
>>was too early. They had more sediment than I was comfortable with

> and a
>
>>slight cloudiness to them. I emptied them back into a demijohn with
>>half a crushed camped tablet. There wasn't enough to fill the

> demijohn,
>
>>so I added 1.5 pints of water with about 1/2 lb of orange blossom

> honey
>
>>and about 1/4 lb sugar, followed by a new yeast starter. I can't
>>remember sorbating the wine, though it's possible that I did. Am I
>>right in thinking that sorbate just prevents yeast from breeding and

> not
>
>>from making alcohol? If so, will the yeast survive long enough to

> work
>
>>on the sugar and honey I added? I hope so, I tasted the wine before
>>hand and I think the honey will be a perfect addition to it.

> If you added sorbate to the wine, then the yeast will not multiply. Has
> it started fermenting? If not, you may have your answer
>
> Steve

It seems to be fermenting very slowly, there's a small layer of sediment
which I stir up daily by gently shaking the demijohn to try and keep
things moving. I think this is going to take a long time.
Steve Thompson

"alien" > wrote in message

> It seems to be fermenting very slowly, there's a small layer of sediment
> which I stir up daily by gently shaking the demijohn to try and keep
> things moving. I think this is going to take a long time.

Give it time, let the yeast do it's thing.

Steve

Dar V

Can I ask what kind of a wine is this, how old the wine was when you bottled
it, and how many times you racked it before bottling?
Darlene
Wisconsin

"alien" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I had a look at some wine I bottled a few weeks back and it looks like I
> was too early. They had more sediment than I was comfortable with and a
> slight cloudiness to them. I emptied them back into a demijohn with half
> a crushed camped tablet. There wasn't enough to fill the demijohn, so I
> added 1.5 pints of water with about 1/2 lb of orange blossom honey and
> about 1/4 lb sugar, followed by a new yeast starter. I can't remember
> sorbating the wine, though it's possible that I did. Am I right in
> thinking that sorbate just prevents yeast from breeding and not from
> making alcohol? If so, will the yeast survive long enough to work on the
> sugar and honey I added? I hope so, I tasted the wine before hand and I
> think the honey will be a perfect addition to it.

alien

Apple & Cranberry,

It was about 3 months old when I bottled, and it was in the bottle about
a month. The wine was clear until I moved the bottle, but it took days
to settle again. I think I racked it twice after moving to secondary.
Once after three months and once again after fining.

Dar V wrote:
> Can I ask what kind of a wine is this, how old the wine was when you bottled
> it, and how many times you racked it before bottling?
> Darlene
> Wisconsin
>

> "alien" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I had a look at some wine I bottled a few weeks back and it looks like I
>>was too early. They had more sediment than I was comfortable with and a
>>slight cloudiness to them. I emptied them back into a demijohn with half
>>a crushed camped tablet. There wasn't enough to fill the demijohn, so I
>>added 1.5 pints of water with about 1/2 lb of orange blossom honey and
>>about 1/4 lb sugar, followed by a new yeast starter. I can't remember
>>sorbating the wine, though it's possible that I did. Am I right in
>>thinking that sorbate just prevents yeast from breeding and not from
>>making alcohol? If so, will the yeast survive long enough to work on the
>>sugar and honey I added? I hope so, I tasted the wine before hand and I
>>think the honey will be a perfect addition to it.

pp

alien wrote:
> Apple & Cranberry,
>
> It was about 3 months old when I bottled, and it was in the bottle

about
> a month. The wine was clear until I moved the bottle, but it took

days
> to settle again. I think I racked it twice after moving to

secondary.
> Once after three months and once again after fining.

3 months is pretty short for a fresh fruit wine. It's probably just
normal sediment still settling down from suspension. You can even get
sediment after filtering if you filter too early. The particles need
time to combine to get big enough to fall down, so even if the wine
looks clear, it can still throw sediment later in the bottle.

Pp

alien

pp wrote:
> alien wrote:
>
>>Apple & Cranberry,
>>
>>It was about 3 months old when I bottled, and it was in the bottle

> about
>
>>a month. The wine was clear until I moved the bottle, but it took

> days
>
>>to settle again. I think I racked it twice after moving to

> secondary.
>
>>Once after three months and once again after fining.
>>

> 3 months is pretty short for a fresh fruit wine. It's probably just
> normal sediment still settling down from suspension. You can even get
> sediment after filtering if you filter too early. The particles need
> time to combine to get big enough to fall down, so even if the wine
> looks clear, it can still throw sediment later in the bottle.
>
> Pp

That's what I was thinking, I just needed (well, wanted) the demijohn, I
just didn't think it would be this bad. I'm using a larger one for it
now, which is why I topped up.
Dar V

I agree with the other poster; that's a bit young to bottle. I don't bottle
my fruit wines until they are at least 7 months old; which some may think is
still too young to bottle. Depending on the wine & how much sediment falls
out, I will rack 2-4 times during that 7 months. Usually the most sediment I
have in a bottle is a very light dusting (which is acceptable for me). I
guess I would do what the others suggest with this batch, but the next time
allow your batch to sit longer and bulk age. You'll be surprised by how
much sediment will fall out if you let it sit a few more months. Good-luck.
Darlene
Wisconsin

"alien" > wrote in message
> Apple & Cranberry,
>
> It was about 3 months old when I bottled, and it was in the bottle about a
> month. The wine was clear until I moved the bottle, but it took days to
> settle again. I think I racked it twice after moving to secondary. Once
> after three months and once again after fining.
>
> Dar V wrote:
>> Can I ask what kind of a wine is this, how old the wine was when you
>> bottled it, and how many times you racked it before bottling?
>> Darlene
>> Wisconsin
>>

>> "alien" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I had a look at some wine I bottled a few weeks back and it looks like I
>>>was too early. They had more sediment than I was comfortable with and a
>>>slight cloudiness to them. I emptied them back into a demijohn with half
>>>a crushed camped tablet. There wasn't enough to fill the demijohn, so I
>>>added 1.5 pints of water with about 1/2 lb of orange blossom honey and
>>>about 1/4 lb sugar, followed by a new yeast starter. I can't remember
>>>sorbating the wine, though it's possible that I did. Am I right in
>>>thinking that sorbate just prevents yeast from breeding and not from
>>>making alcohol? If so, will the yeast survive long enough to work on the
>>>sugar and honey I added? I hope so, I tasted the wine before hand and I
>>>think the honey will be a perfect addition to it.

Question about adding yeast Marty Phee Winemaking 5 10-10-2005 07:00 PM
What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ? Alireza Winemaking 8 04-08-2005 08:23 AM
Wine yeast so much cheaper than beer yeast in bulk? Rob Winemaking 2 08-09-2004 04:55 AM
adding yeast wally Winemaking 18 24-08-2004 06:17 AM
Adding Yeast Nutrient Andie Z Winemaking 3 13-07-2004 04:09 AM