Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Malolactic fermentation

What are the indications of malo fermentation? I inoculated several
carboys with the Presque Isle CHML2 bacteria a couple weeks ago. If
anything's happening, it's very slow. Temps are between 62-85
day/night, 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation, pH nominal.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 13, 5:44*pm, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> What are the indications of malo fermentation? *I inoculated several
> carboys with the Presque Isle CHML2 bacteria a couple weeks ago. *If
> anything's happening, it's very slow. *Temps are between 62-85
> day/night, 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation, pH nominal.
>
> Dick

I use a strain of Oenococcus oeni from Lavlin called “Bacchus”
I check MLF progress by sight and smell. I watch for the very tiny
bubbles, and the buttery smell of the Diacetyl.
I validate its completion using standard paper chromatography.
My SO2 is lower than yours, in the 13-15 range now. (Innoculation +16
days) … 30ppm now, might be slowing your progress, but I am not
sure.
-Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would check with Lalvin for detailed information
but as far as my knowledge goes Malolactic fermentation
is inhibited by SO2.

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Are you sure the 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation is still
present? I'd think the primary fermentation has blown that SO2 off. If
I'm not mistaken, only SO2 added after primary fermentation would affect
MLF.

Gene

Luc Volders wrote:
> I would check with Lalvin for detailed information
> but as far as my knowledge goes Malolactic fermentation
> is inhibited by SO2.
>
> Luc
>
> Dick Heckman wrote:
>
>> What are the indications of malo fermentation? I inoculated several
>> carboys with the Presque Isle CHML2 bacteria a couple weeks ago. If
>> anything's happening, it's very slow. Temps are between 62-85
>> day/night, 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation, pH nominal.
>>
>> Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 13, 5:44*pm, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> What are the indications of malo fermentation? *I inoculated several
> carboys with the Presque Isle CHML2 bacteria a couple weeks ago. *If
> anything's happening, it's very slow. *Temps are between 62-85
> day/night, 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation, pH nominal.
>
> Dick

The SO2 level is probably low enough that it isn't stopping your MLF.

What jumped out at me immediately is the temperature swings from day
to night.
This has a big impact on the ability of yeast and bacteria to do their
thing, especially since the bottom end of your temperature range is
getting close to the minimums that most ML bacteria will operate
under.

I'd try finding a way to insulate the must from this.

Good luck,
Chris.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
primary, that's why I said it that way. I haven't added any since. The
carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. I've
measured must temperature once and it was around 71. They sit on a
concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
wouldn't be too easy.

Never having smelled malo fermentation, I'm not confident of that measure.

Dick

wrote:
> On Oct 13, 5:44 pm, Dick Heckman > wrote:
>> What are the indications of malo fermentation? I inoculated several
>> carboys with the Presque Isle CHML2 bacteria a couple weeks ago. If
>> anything's happening, it's very slow. Temps are between 62-85
>> day/night, 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation, pH nominal.
>>
>> Dick

> The SO2 level is probably low enough that it isn't stopping your MLF.
>
> What jumped out at me immediately is the temperature swings from day
> to night.
> This has a big impact on the ability of yeast and bacteria to do their
> thing, especially since the bottom end of your temperature range is
> getting close to the minimums that most ML bacteria will operate
> under.
>
> I'd try finding a way to insulate the must from this.
>

> Good luck,
> Chris.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 14, 10:47*am, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
> primary, that's why I said it that way. *I haven't added any since. *The
> carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
> particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. *I've
> measured must temperature once and it was around 71. *They sit on a
> concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
> insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
> wouldn't be too easy.
>
> Never having smelled malo fermentation, I'm not confident of that measure..
>
> Dick
>
> wrote:
> > On Oct 13, 5:44 pm, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> >> What are the indications of malo fermentation? *I inoculated several
> >> carboys with the Presque Isle CHML2 bacteria a couple weeks ago. *If
> >> anything's happening, it's very slow. *Temps are between 62-85
> >> day/night, 30 ppm SO2 added before primary fermentation, pH nominal.

> >> Dick

> > The SO2 level is probably low enough that it isn't stopping your MLF.

> > What jumped out at me immediately is the temperature swings from day
> > to night.
> > This has a big impact on the ability of yeast and bacteria to do their
> > thing, especially since the bottom end of your temperature range is
> > getting close to the minimums that most ML bacteria will operate
> > under.

> > I'd try finding a way to insulate the must from this.

> > Good luck,
> > Chris.

How do you know MLF hasn't already finished before you added the MLF
bacteria? What yeast did you use for fermentation? Hoe long after
fermentation did you add the MLF bacteria?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You don't have to insulate the whole building -- you can just insulate the
carboys. I'd expect that to be a lot smaller task. I suppose you could wrap
them in something like a hot water heater blanket, or perhaps build a box
out of plywood big enough to hold them and insulate the box.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/

Kevin Cherkauer

"Dick Heckman" > wrote in message:
> I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
> primary, that's why I said it that way. I haven't added any since. The
> carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
> particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. I've
> measured must temperature once and it was around 71. They sit on a
> concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
> insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
> wouldn't be too easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 14, 8:02*pm, "Kevin Cherkauer" > wrote:
> You don't have to insulate the whole building -- you can just insulate the
> carboys. I'd expect that to be a lot smaller task. I suppose you could wrap
> them in something like a hot water heater blanket, or perhaps build a box
> out of plywood big enough to hold them and insulate the box.
>
> Utopia in Decayhttp://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/
>
> Kevin Cherkauer
>
> "Dick Heckman" > wrote in message:
> > I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
> > primary, that's why I said it that way. *I haven't added any since. *The
> > carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
> > particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. *I've
> > measured must temperature once and it was around 71. *They sit on a
> > concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
> > insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
> > wouldn't be too easy.

First of all, Did you add MLB a couple days into the ferment? And how
long has it been since that?I added mine a about three days in, kept
my food grade container in a closet with a small oil heater in it in
low to keep it nice and warm around 80 or so.After ferment was done I
tasted the wine. There is a definite soft taste to it. If its not
complete youll taste a sharper bitter flavor....<Malic acid>
Your concrete could be conducting cold.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I wasn't thinking of insulating the whole building but I have 5 carboys
and it's a bit of a hassle. I measured one of the carboys today and it
was sitting at 71 deg. From what I've heard that's within the range of
the bacteria. TA hasn't changed from when it was put in the carboy. It
is supposed to get colder this weekend so I'll probably have to do
something. If the bacteria goes inactive, will it revive later if it
gets warmer?

Dick

Kevin Cherkauer wrote:
> You don't have to insulate the whole building -- you can just insulate the
> carboys. I'd expect that to be a lot smaller task. I suppose you could wrap
> them in something like a hot water heater blanket, or perhaps build a box
> out of plywood big enough to hold them and insulate the box.
>
> Utopia in Decay
> http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/
>
> Kevin Cherkauer
>

> "Dick Heckman" > wrote in message:
>> I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
>> primary, that's why I said it that way. I haven't added any since. The
>> carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
>> particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. I've
>> measured must temperature once and it was around 71. They sit on a
>> concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
>> insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
>> wouldn't be too easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bob,

With my Noiret it was about a month and I did one carboy with RC 212
and the other with 1122. All my Cynthiana was done with a Syrah yeast.

I checked one carboy and the TA hadn't changed.

Dick

wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:47 am, Dick Heckman > wrote:
>> I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
>> primary, that's why I said it that way. I haven't added any since. The
>> carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
>> particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. I've
>> measured must temperature once and it was around 71. They sit on a
>> concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
>> insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
>> wouldn't be too easy.
>>
>> Never having smelled malo fermentation, I'm not confident of that measure.
>>
>> Dick
>>
>> wrote:
>>> The SO2 level is probably low enough that it isn't stopping your MLF.
>>> What jumped out at me immediately is the temperature swings from day
>>> to night.
>>> This has a big impact on the ability of yeast and bacteria to do their
>>> thing, especially since the bottom end of your temperature range is
>>> getting close to the minimums that most ML bacteria will operate
>>> under.
>>> I'd try finding a way to insulate the must from this.
>>> Good luck,
>>> Chris.

> How do you know MLF hasn't already finished before you added the MLF
> bacteria? What yeast did you use for fermentation? Hoe long after
> fermentation did you add the MLF bacteria?
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

A month AFTER fermentation was done?? If so, considering the yeast you
used, your MLF may already be done.

Bob

On Oct 15, 6:03*pm, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> Bob,
>
> With my Noiret it was about a month and I did one carboy with RC 212
> and the other with 1122. *All my Cynthiana was done with a Syrah yeast.
>
> I checked one carboy and the TA hadn't changed.
>
> Dick
>
> wrote:
> > On Oct 14, 10:47 am, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> >> I've heard earlier that most of the SO2 should have blown off during
> >> primary, that's why I said it that way. *I haven't added any since. *The
> >> carboys are inside a building that is closed most of the time and
> >> particularly at night but no additional insulation at this time. *I've
> >> measured must temperature once and it was around 71. *They sit on a
> >> concrete floor and I could raise them on wood blocks which would
> >> insulate them from that contact and if necessary add insulation but that
> >> wouldn't be too easy.

> >> Never having smelled malo fermentation, I'm not confident of that measure.

> >> Dick

> > How do you know MLF hasn't already finished before you added the MLF
> > bacteria? What yeast did you use for fermentation? Hoe long after
> > fermentation did you add the MLF bacteria?

> > Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking