Herman Krug

Default Malolactic Fermentation

I just have my first batch of grapes starting to ferment. We harvested Foch
with a TA of 9, PH 3.3, Brix 18 (1.8 pounds of sugar added). I disolved 4
campden tablets in 5 gallons of must. Yeast the next day. Temps in mid 60s.

Do I need to use a Malolactic bacteria culture to start the ML or will it
occur naturally?

If I do need to add a culture....when and can you recomend a culture (and
where to purchase it) for such a small batch of grapes?

Herman

Tom S

"Herman Krug" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>I just have my first batch of grapes starting to ferment. We harvested Foch
>with a TA of 9, PH 3.3, Brix 18 (1.8 pounds of sugar added). I disolved 4
>campden tablets in 5 gallons of must. Yeast the next day. Temps in mid 60s.
>
> Do I need to use a Malolactic bacteria culture to start the ML or will it
> occur naturally?

I would certainly encourage you to do ML on that wine as it sounds a bit too
tart to be pleasant as is.

It _might_ go spontaneously, but not if you add any more sulfite. Also, you
may want to bring the temperature up a bit after the primary finishes. You
can get a culture from Presque Isle:
http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/ml-cult.html

Tom S