Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Phylloxera on concord grape vine...

Well, it looks like my grapes are infested with grape phylloxera.
Since there's no known "cure" for this problem, I have to ask: are my
grapes even edible? Or does the whole vine have to be cut down and
burned? And if so, how long before I can re-plant (with resistant
rootstock)?

Thanks so much for your help.
Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

What makes you think there's an infestation of Phylloxera? Are you
sure you have Concord vines?

Bob

On Nov 7, 11:26 am, wrote:
> Well, it looks like my grapes are infested with grape phylloxera.
> Since there's no known "cure" for this problem, I have to ask: are my
> grapes even edible? Or does the whole vine have to be cut down and
> burned? And if so, how long before I can re-plant (with resistant
> rootstock)?
>
> Thanks so much for your help.
> Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Agree with the prior poster - are you sure you have phylloxera? First,
phylloxera attack the vines, not the grapes. If you have phylloxera,
but still have grapes, the grapes should be fine. Your problem would be
the mortality of your vines.

What are the symptoms that cause you to suspect you have phylloxera in
your vineyard? What part of the country are you in?

Second - as the prior poster asked - are you sure you have Concord? As
best I know, Concord is of the labrusca species - which is phylloxera
resistant (phylloxera may be present, but to the best of my knowledge
do not present a mortality threat to your vines).

On 2007-11-07 08:26:46 -0800, said:

> Well, it looks like my grapes are infested with grape phylloxera.
> Since there's no known "cure" for this problem, I have to ask: are my
> grapes even edible? Or does the whole vine have to be cut down and
> burned? And if so, how long before I can re-plant (with resistant
> rootstock)?
>
> Thanks so much for your help.
> Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The other posters pose valid questions, but phylloxera is possible on
a labrusca, especially one that may have some vinifera in it. Quoting
Munson on p. 217 "...Labrusca is low in resistance and is much
weakened in clay soils, if infested, and Vinifera is entirely non-
resistant." I couldn't find the exact quote, but I think I have seen
elsewhere in Munson's book that he rated labrusca to have a phylloxera
resistance of 4 (out of 18 I think). Muscadines were 18 and vinifera
were zero.

On Nov 7, 12:04 pm, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
> Agree with the prior poster - are you sure you have phylloxera? First,
> phylloxera attack the vines, not the grapes. If you have phylloxera,
> but still have grapes, the grapes should be fine. Your problem would be
> the mortality of your vines.
>
> What are the symptoms that cause you to suspect you have phylloxera in
> your vineyard? What part of the country are you in?
>
> Second - as the prior poster asked - are you sure you have Concord? As
> best I know, Concord is of the labrusca species - which is phylloxera
> resistant (phylloxera may be present, but to the best of my knowledge
> do not present a mortality threat to your vines).
>
> On 2007-11-07 08:26:46 -0800, said:
>

> > Well, it looks like my grapes are infested with grape phylloxera.
> > Since there's no known "cure" for this problem, I have to ask: are my
> > grapes even edible? Or does the whole vine have to be cut down and
> > burned? And if so, how long before I can re-plant (with resistant
> > rootstock)?

> > Thanks so much for your help.
> > Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Well, I'm pretty sure they're concord grapes -- because I like
concord, and that's what they taste like.

As far as whether or not it's phylloxera, I took a leaf that had a
bunch of galls on it (easy, as most of the leaves had them) to a
gardening store, and after some discussion and research, we "verified"
that's what it was. This vine is relatively young (i.e. only a few
years old, I think). The reason I don't know much about the vine is
that it was here and growing before I even knew what it was. I knew
there were vines on the fence (towards the back of my property), but
this is the first year that it produced *anything*.

I live in Southern Wisconsin.

Thanks for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Jeff

On Nov 7, 12:04 pm, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
> Agree with the prior poster - are you sure you have phylloxera? First,
> phylloxera attack the vines, not the grapes. If you have phylloxera,
> but still have grapes, the grapes should be fine. Your problem would be
> the mortality of your vines.
>
> What are the symptoms that cause you to suspect you have phylloxera in
> your vineyard? What part of the country are you in?
>
> Second - as the prior poster asked - are you sure you have Concord? As
> best I know, Concord is of the labrusca species - which is phylloxera
> resistant (phylloxera may be present, but to the best of my knowledge
> do not present a mortality threat to your vines).
>
> On 2007-11-07 08:26:46 -0800, said:
>
> > Well, it looks like my grapes are infested with grape phylloxera.
> > Since there's no known "cure" for this problem, I have to ask: are my
> > grapes even edible? Or does the whole vine have to be cut down and
> > burned? And if so, how long before I can re-plant (with resistant
> > rootstock)?

> > Thanks so much for your help.
> > Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

There are leaf forms and root forms of phylloxera. The root form is
the one that will kill the vine. Both forms usually don't affect the
same types of grapes, so maybe some foliar spray next spring can take
care of your problem. Phylloxera galls are rough, rounded, and
spiky. There is also a grape tumid gall, which is round, reddish, and
succulent. (Information from The Grape Grower, by Lon Rombough)

On Nov 7, 4:57 pm, wrote:
> Well, I'm pretty sure they're concord grapes -- because I like
> concord, and that's what they taste like.
>
> As far as whether or not it's phylloxera, I took a leaf that had a
> bunch of galls on it (easy, as most of the leaves had them) to a
> gardening store, and after some discussion and research, we "verified"
> that's what it was. This vine is relatively young (i.e. only a few
> years old, I think). The reason I don't know much about the vine is
> that it was here and growing before I even knew what it was. I knew
> there were vines on the fence (towards the back of my property), but
> this is the first year that it produced *anything*.
>
> I live in Southern Wisconsin.
>
> Thanks for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Nov 7, 12:04 pm, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
>
> > Agree with the prior poster - are you sure you have phylloxera? First,
> > phylloxera attack the vines, not the grapes. If you have phylloxera,
> > but still have grapes, the grapes should be fine. Your problem would be
> > the mortality of your vines.

> > What are the symptoms that cause you to suspect you have phylloxera in
> > your vineyard? What part of the country are you in?

> > Second - as the prior poster asked - are you sure you have Concord? As
> > best I know, Concord is of the labrusca species - which is phylloxera
> > resistant (phylloxera may be present, but to the best of my knowledge
> > do not present a mortality threat to your vines).

> > On 2007-11-07 08:26:46 -0800, said:

> > > Well, it looks like my grapes are infested with grape phylloxera.
> > > Since there's no known "cure" for this problem, I have to ask: are my
> > > grapes even edible? Or does the whole vine have to be cut down and
> > > burned? And if so, how long before I can re-plant (with resistant
> > > rootstock)?

> > > Thanks so much for your help.
> > > Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hmm... Maybe then this isn't an issue (as far as the grapes are
concerned).

The galls were spiked and green on the underside of the leaves, but
the vine itself seemed to be growing very well this year. So, if I
*can* spray something, what would that be, and when would I spray? (I
assume before the grapes start growing)

Thanks again for all the input!!!

Jeff

On Nov 7, 11:07 pm, shbailey > wrote:
> There are leaf forms and root forms of phylloxera. The root form is
> the one that will kill the vine. Both forms usually don't affect the
> same types of grapes, so maybe some foliar spray next spring can take
> care of your problem. Phylloxera galls are rough, rounded, and
> spiky. There is also a grape tumid gall, which is round, reddish, and
> succulent. (Information from The Grape Grower, by Lon Rombough)
>
> On Nov 7, 4:57 pm, wrote:
>
> > Well, I'm pretty sure they're concord grapes -- because I like
> > concord, and that's what they taste like.

> > As far as whether or not it's phylloxera, I took a leaf that had a
> > bunch of galls on it (easy, as most of the leaves had them) to a
> > gardening store, and after some discussion and research, we "verified"
> > that's what it was. This vine is relatively young (i.e. only a few
> > years old, I think). The reason I don't know much about the vine is
> > that it was here and growing before I even knew what it was. I knew
> > there were vines on the fence (towards the back of my property), but
> > this is the first year that it produced *anything*.

> > I live in Southern Wisconsin.

> > Thanks for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.

> > Jeff

> > On Nov 7, 12:04 pm, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:

> > > Agree with the prior poster - are you sure you have phylloxera? First,
> > > phylloxera attack the vines, not the grapes. If you have phylloxera,
> > > but still have grapes, the grapes should be fine. Your problem would be
> > > the mortality of your vines.

> > > What are the symptoms that cause you to suspect you have phylloxera in
> > > your vineyard? What part of the country are you in?

> > > Second - as the prior poster asked - are you sure you have Concord? As
> > > best I know, Concord is of the labrusca species - which is phylloxera
> > > resistant (phylloxera may be present, but to the best of my knowledge
> > > do not present a mortality threat to your vines).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jeff

You should consider taking those leaves to your county extension agent
to ask them for ID and advice. I'm from Western PA and we grow a lot
of Concord without issue. I don't though.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

There don't seem to be definite recommendations for spraying for
foliar phylloxera. If you aren't currently following a general spray
program, maybe it would help control the phylloxera (as well as leaf
hoppers and berry moth) if you did. General recommendations for
spraying with fairly benign stuff would involve using carbaryl,
malathion, or methoxyclor pre-bloom and then a few times post-bloom.
You can find days to harvest limitations on the labels.

On Nov 8, 8:13 am, F > wrote:
> Hmm... Maybe then this isn't an issue (as far as the grapes are
> concerned).
>
> The galls were spiked and green on the underside of the leaves, but
> the vine itself seemed to be growing very well this year. So, if I
> *can* spray something, what would that be, and when would I spray? (I
> assume before the grapes start growing)
>
> Thanks again for all the input!!!
>
> Jeff
>
> On Nov 7, 11:07 pm, shbailey > wrote:
>
> > There are leaf forms and root forms of phylloxera. The root form is
> > the one that will kill the vine. Both forms usually don't affect the
> > same types of grapes, so maybe some foliar spray next spring can take
> > care of your problem. Phylloxera galls are rough, rounded, and
> > spiky. There is also a grape tumid gall, which is round, reddish, and
> > succulent. (Information from The Grape Grower, by Lon Rombough)

> > On Nov 7, 4:57 pm, wrote:

> > > Well, I'm pretty sure they're concord grapes -- because I like
> > > concord, and that's what they taste like.

> > > As far as whether or not it's phylloxera, I took a leaf that had a
> > > bunch of galls on it (easy, as most of the leaves had them) to a
> > > gardening store, and after some discussion and research, we "verified"
> > > that's what it was. This vine is relatively young (i.e. only a few
> > > years old, I think). The reason I don't know much about the vine is
> > > that it was here and growing before I even knew what it was. I knew
> > > there were vines on the fence (towards the back of my property), but
> > > this is the first year that it produced *anything*.

> > > I live in Southern Wisconsin.

> > > Thanks for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.

> > > Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thank you for the recommendations!

Jeff

On Nov 9, 6:36 pm, shbailey > wrote:
> There don't seem to be definite recommendations for spraying for
> foliar phylloxera. If you aren't currently following a general spray
> program, maybe it would help control the phylloxera (as well as leaf
> hoppers and berry moth) if you did. General recommendations for
> spraying with fairly benign stuff would involve using carbaryl,
> malathion, or methoxyclor pre-bloom and then a few times post-bloom.
> You can find days to harvest limitations on the labels.
>
> On Nov 8, 8:13 am, F > wrote:
>
> > Hmm... Maybe then this isn't an issue (as far as the grapes are
> > concerned).

> > The galls were spiked and green on the underside of the leaves, but
> > the vine itself seemed to be growing very well this year. So, if I
> > *can* spray something, what would that be, and when would I spray? (I
> > assume before the grapes start growing)

> > Thanks again for all the input!!!

> > Jeff

> > On Nov 7, 11:07 pm, shbailey > wrote:

> > > There are leaf forms and root forms of phylloxera. The root form is
> > > the one that will kill the vine. Both forms usually don't affect the
> > > same types of grapes, so maybe some foliar spray next spring can take
> > > care of your problem. Phylloxera galls are rough, rounded, and
> > > spiky. There is also a grape tumid gall, which is round, reddish, and
> > > succulent. (Information from The Grape Grower, by Lon Rombough)

concord grape jam hurrah songbird Preserving 11 17-09-2010 12:50 PM
Concord grape SG Rick Winemaking 2 12-09-2006 03:44 AM
Concord Grape disease? Chris Smolinski Winemaking 8 16-07-2005 12:11 PM
Concord grape disease [email protected] Winemaking 0 16-07-2005 03:33 AM
REC & Q: Concord Grape Cake Scott Baking 1 15-09-2004 05:35 PM