Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Concord grape SG

I just picked up 150# of concord grapes today and decided to use Jack
Keller's recipes but the two recipes he has are either sweet desert or
dry so I decided to go dead center in-between but the SG only came out
to 1.087 instead of 1.096 so I added more sugar to adjust.

I'm curious as to whether I made a mistake trusting the SG reading as
all the sugars from the grapes might not have been accountable (used
commercial destemer/ crusher).

I made a couple batches with Cynthiana before but no sugar additions
were needed and this is the first time using grapes were the SG needs
adjustment and if necessary I still have time to adjust SG by adding
more water, any input will be appreciated.

Rick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Rick" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just picked up 150# of concord grapes today and decided to use Jack
> Keller's recipes but the two recipes he has are either sweet desert or
> dry so I decided to go dead center in-between but the SG only came out
> to 1.087 instead of 1.096 so I added more sugar to adjust.
>
> I'm curious as to whether I made a mistake trusting the SG reading as
> all the sugars from the grapes might not have been accountable (used
> commercial destemer/ crusher).
>
> I made a couple batches with Cynthiana before but no sugar additions
> were needed and this is the first time using grapes were the SG needs
> adjustment and if necessary I still have time to adjust SG by adding
> more water, any input will be appreciated.
>
> Rick

You should be fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
> "Rick" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I just picked up 150# of concord grapes today and decided to use Jack
> > Keller's recipes but the two recipes he has are either sweet desert or
> > dry so I decided to go dead center in-between but the SG only came out
> > to 1.087 instead of 1.096 so I added more sugar to adjust.
> >
> > I'm curious as to whether I made a mistake trusting the SG reading as
> > all the sugars from the grapes might not have been accountable (used
> > commercial destemer/ crusher).
> >
> > I made a couple batches with Cynthiana before but no sugar additions
> > were needed and this is the first time using grapes were the SG needs
> > adjustment and if necessary I still have time to adjust SG by adding
> > more water, any input will be appreciated.
> >
> > Rick

> You should be fine.

Thanks Paul.

Rick