Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wine Suggestion

I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
Domestic Pinot Noir
Cabernet

White: Domestic Chardonnay
Reisling

Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.

To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served with
a gingered peach salsa
Balsamic Rice
Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above name dot
neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message
>I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served
> with
> a gingered peach salsa
> Balsamic Rice
> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)
>
> Debbie
>
> --
>
> Debbie

Husband: Pinot Noir
Boyfriend: Chateauneuf du Pape
Girlfriend: " " " "

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message
>I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served
> with
> a gingered peach salsa
> Balsamic Rice
> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)
>
> Debbie

Pinot Noir sounds right. The spiciness should complement the vinegar-based
sauce without conflicting, and it is not too dry. I think (as I suspect you
do) that asparagus would be better than broccoli with this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served with
> a gingered peach salsa
> Balsamic Rice
> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)

I like a nice pinot with pork tenderloin but you should feel free to
have whatever pleases your personal tastes.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served with
> a gingered peach salsa
> Balsamic Rice
> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)

I'd go for the white.
I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular Friday
night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy Friday night
dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load of fresh Italian
bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:
> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served with
> a gingered peach salsa
> Balsamic Rice
> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)

I HOPE your Chateauneuf-du-Pape is imported!

Go for the Pinot Noir.

BTW, (and this is more a reflection of my tastes and thus is only my
opinion) that's a lotta balsamic you're serving there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
>> Debbie wrote:
>>> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
>>> Domestic Pinot Noir
>>> Cabernet
>>>
>>> White: Domestic Chardonnay
>>> Reisling
>>>
>>> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>>>
>>> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze
>>> served with a gingered peach salsa
>>> Balsamic Rice
>>> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)

>> I HOPE your Chateauneuf-du-Pape is imported!
>>
>> Go for the Pinot Noir.
>>
>> BTW, (and this is more a reflection of my tastes and thus is only my
>> opinion) that's a lotta balsamic you're serving there

Oops..BASMATI Rice... was probably running the whole cooking process of
everything through my mind.

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>> Debbie wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
>>> Domestic Pinot Noir
>>> Cabernet
>>>
>>> White: Domestic Chardonnay
>>> Reisling
>>>
>>> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>>>
>>> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze
>>> served with a gingered peach salsa
>>> Balsamic Rice
>>> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)

>> I'd go for the white.
>> I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular
>> Friday night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy
>> Friday night dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load
>> of fresh Italian bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

Thank you everyone for your input.

So far we have 3 for the Pinot Noir and 2 for White. Pelee Island Wines are
my favourite domestic wines

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

>>>I'd go for the white.
>>>I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular
>>>Friday night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy
>>>Friday night dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load
>>>of fresh Italian bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

> Thank you everyone for your input.
>
> So far we have 3 for the Pinot Noir and 2 for White. Pelee Island Wines are
> my favourite domestic wines
>
> Debbie

I don't know about a red. A rather low fat piece of pork with an acid
glaze. To me, a nice Beringer Chardonnay (Private reserve which is smoky
and buttery if $ is not an issue,) would be better.

HTH,

> Debbie
>
> (Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
> name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

> >> I'd go for the white.
> >> I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular
> >> Friday night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy
> >> Friday night dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load
> >> of fresh Italian bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

> Thank you everyone for your input.
>
> So far we have 3 for the Pinot Noir and 2 for White. Pelee Island Wines are
> my favourite domestic wines

I would have gone for the Pinot Noir until I noted the ginger in the glaze.
Pelee Island wines are generally pretty good but we have a number of
wineries in the Niagara area that are producing some good, reasonably
priced wines that are available only at the wineries. They do not bother
listing them with the LCBO. Lakeview, Maryniessen <sp?> Stoney Ridge and
Konzelman all make good wines. Lakeview is especially good value.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message
>I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served with
> a gingered peach salsa
> Balsamic Rice
> Steamed Broccoli (or Asparagus if I get to the store)
>
> Debbie
>
> --
>
> Debbie

The traditional wisdom is white with white meat, red with red meat and pink or
Champaign with anything. Since you are serving pork then the white served well
chilled is appropriate.

Now having said the above. Drink what you like.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie > wrote:

> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
> Domestic Pinot Noir
> Cabernet
>
> White: Domestic Chardonnay
> Reisling
>
> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>
> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze served with
> a gingered peach salsa

As I always say in such cases, serve the wine you like - you will almost
never go wrong, at least as far as your person is concerned. That said,
consider the following. Tenderloin of pork is not a very
strongly-flavoured, relatively lean meat and can go with most wines,
both white and red, save very strongly-flavoured ones. So, what is left
to deal with here, is the balsamic glaze and the gingered peach salsa,
both of which add a sour-sweet aspect to the dish. If the riesling is
not completely dry, it ought to be an ideal match, being relatively lean
and bringing with it the same sour-sweet aspect.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Thank you everyone for your input.
>>>
>>> So far we have 3 for the Pinot Noir and 2 for White. Pelee Island
>>> Wines are my favourite domestic wines

>> I would have gone for the Pinot Noir until I noted the ginger in the
>> glaze. Pelee Island wines are generally pretty good but we have a
>> number of wineries in the Niagara area that are producing some good,
>> reasonably priced wines that are available only at the wineries.
>> They do not bother listing them with the LCBO. Lakeview,
>> Maryniessen <sp?> Stoney Ridge and Konzelman all make good wines.
>> Lakeview is especially good value.

I have had Stoney Ridge wines and enjoyed them. I don't remember tasting
the other ones. We went on an enjoyable wine tour through Niagara a few
years back. A new Estate Wine Shop is opening here in a few weeks. It will
be interesting to see what they carry.

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
>> Debbie > wrote:
>>
>>> I have Red: Imported Chateauneuf du Pape
>>> Domestic Pinot Noir
>>> Cabernet
>>>
>>> White: Domestic Chardonnay
>>> Reisling
>>>
>>> Domestics are from Pelee Island Winery.
>>>
>>> To be served with Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic vineger glaze
>>> served with a gingered peach salsa

>> As I always say in such cases, serve the wine you like - you will
>> almost never go wrong, at least as far as your person is concerned.
>> That said, consider the following. Tenderloin of pork is not a very
>> strongly-flavoured, relatively lean meat and can go with most wines,
>> both white and red, save very strongly-flavoured ones. So, what is
>> left to deal with here, is the balsamic glaze and the gingered peach
>> salsa, both of which add a sour-sweet aspect to the dish. If the
>> riesling is not completely dry, it ought to be an ideal match, being
>> relatively lean and bringing with it the same sour-sweet aspect.

After all the comments, I think I will be going with my first choice, the
Riesling. Thanks again evreyone.

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote

> After all the comments, I think I will be going with my first choice, the
> Riesling. Thanks again evreyone.

Please let us know how it is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:26:01 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I'd go for the white.
>I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular Friday
>night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy Friday night
>dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load of fresh Italian
>bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

I love the Pelee Island Gewurtztraminer. I think it's my favourite
wine in the world. And in the red wine department, their Shiraz is
very good, as well.

(We just picked up two batches of home brew from the Wine Barrel, so
there won't be too much pricy stuff for the next few months,
unfortunately.)

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:43:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I would have gone for the Pinot Noir until I noted the ginger in the glaze.
>Pelee Island wines are generally pretty good but we have a number of
>wineries in the Niagara area that are producing some good, reasonably
>priced wines that are available only at the wineries. They do not bother
>listing them with the LCBO. Lakeview, Maryniessen <sp?> Stoney Ridge and
>Konzelman all make good wines. Lakeview is especially good value.

Hey Dave, do you ever buy anything from Thirteenth Street winery? It's
in Jordan Station. Amazingly good wines. We dropped about $400 there a
few years ago. (Husband knows one of the guys that runs the place.)

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:26:01 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'd go for the white.
>>> I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular
>>> Friday night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy
>>> Friday night dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load
>>> of fresh Italian bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

>> I love the Pelee Island Gewurtztraminer. I think it's my favourite
>> wine in the world. And in the red wine department, their Shiraz is
>> very good, as well.
>>
>> (We just picked up two batches of home brew from the Wine Barrel, so
>> there won't be too much pricy stuff for the next few months,
>> unfortunately.)

I chose the Riesling. As it turns out, I ended up in the emergency room
with my granddaughter who thought stepping on glass in her bare feet was the
thing to do tonight. I am now eating dinner cold. Can you tell when the
kid was injured? The wine is excellent.. I may drink more than I had
planned on! :-)

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I'd go for the white.
> I like most Pelee Island wines. Their Gewurztraminer was a regular Friday
> night wine when we got into the habit of a quick and easy Friday night
> dinner at home, grilled salmon, a simple salad, a load of fresh Italian
> bread and a bottle of Pelee Island Gewurtz.

When I saw "Pelee", it didn't even register at first. It's been a lot
of years since I had any Lake Erie islands wine. We frequently sailed &
anchored around the islands... learned to navigate there eons ago...
Middle Bass, Kelly's, etc. Sounds like the wine has improved; it used
to be not very good. Great sailing though. That entire area including
the southern Lake Erie shore where we lived has very clay soil IIRC. I
saw my first (of many) Osprey there. A vineyard near us grew wonderful
concords. We bought pecks of them one year to make jam and grape juice.
Some of the juice fermented and exploded all over my kitchen ceiling.
It was great fun nonetheless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne wrote:

> Hey Dave, do you ever buy anything from Thirteenth Street winery? It's
> in Jordan Station. Amazingly good wines. We dropped about $400 there a
> few years ago. (Husband knows one of the guys that runs the place.)

Not yet, but I will give it a try. I find the bench wineries produce better
wines than the NotL wineries.

Seeking wine pairing suggestion Ric Wine 5 30-07-2006 06:54 PM
Wine storage suggestion needed BCC Wine 5 12-03-2005 04:28 PM
Wine gift suggestion vijaybhatter Wine 1 07-01-2005 04:38 PM
Blueberry wine - yeast suggestion? Steve Thompson Winemaking 13 18-07-2004 07:41 PM
A strawberry wine suggestion Ray Winemaking 1 06-01-2004 01:17 AM