Old 13-03-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Default Campden Tablet - Shelf Life

I googled this one but didn't find any satisfactory answers. I 'inherited' some winemaking stuff my father used. I've
thrown most of the chemicals out as they didn't smell right, but the campden tablets all smelled as they should. These
are 7 -20 years old though.

I know, I know, campden tablets are cheap so I probably should chuck them too and not try to save money on these things,
but they were in sealed containers and as I say, they smell like my new ones do. I only use campden tablets on initial
must anyway.

So does anyone know if campden tablets keep thaaat well?

Jim

Old 13-03-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

jim wrote:

I googled this one but didn't find any
satisfactory answers. I 'inherited' some
winemaking stuff my father used. I've
thrown most of the chemicals out as they didn't
smell right, but the campden tablets all smelled
as they should. These are 7 -20 years old
though.

I know, I know, campden tablets are cheap so I
probably should chuck them too and not try to
save money on these things,
but they were in sealed containers and as I say,
they smell like my new ones do. I only use
campden tablets on initial must anyway.

So does anyone know if campden tablets keep
thaaat well?

Jim

Don't know Jim, but you could always use them for
sanitizing. Just crush them and dissolve in
water. A few ppm probably not that critical for
this use.

Old 14-03-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I wish I could tell you exactly where to go but I know that somewhere on
Jack's sight it discusses shelf life of
winemaking chemicals and I think he gives it for campden as well serch
arround on:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

I really do wish Jack would break down and write a book. He has so many
good pieces of information and so many dificult to find recipies.

Ray

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 64 19-12-2008 08:24 PM
Campden Tablet and Pectic Enzyme jim Winemaking 3 21-03-2007 10:14 PM
How do you tell the shelf life of a kit? arrassa Winemaking 2 19-03-2007 06:32 AM
shelf life k-dawg Winemaking 2 01-02-2006 05:12 PM