Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Default Campden Tablet and Pectic Enzyme

Hi, I am just starting a new must and started wondering after I've added the crushed campden tablet to the must... The
recipes I base my wines on all suggest you give 12 - 24 hours after using the campden tablet and before adding pectic
enzyme. Obviously they say this for a reason.

However, I was wondering is pectic enzyme really that badly affected by the campden tablet? It isn't a living
substance, but I'm sure its possible for sulfite to retard other chemical processes.

I'm happy to wait, but has anyone had experiences of using pectic enzyme sooner than that after adding the crushed
campden tablet? Or do y ou know why the delay is required anyway?

Many thanks for any information as always, Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Mar 21, 9:46 am, "jim" > wrote:
> Hi, I am just starting a new must and started wondering after I've added the crushed campden tablet to the must... The
> recipes I base my wines on all suggest you give 12 - 24 hours after using the campden tablet and before adding pectic
> enzyme. Obviously they say this for a reason.
>
> However, I was wondering is pectic enzyme really that badly affected by the campden tablet? It isn't a living
> substance, but I'm sure its possible for sulfite to retard other chemical processes.
>
> I'm happy to wait, but has anyone had experiences of using pectic enzyme sooner than that after adding the crushed
> campden tablet? Or do y ou know why the delay is required anyway?
>
> Many thanks for any information as always, Jim

It's fine, don't worry. The instructions are a relic from the old
days, with the enzymes manufactured these days there is no need to
wait - in fact, it could be counterproductive because it also delays
the time when the yeast is pitched.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Excellent, that's good news, thanks very much for the info!

Jim

"pp" > wrote in message oups.com...
> On Mar 21, 9:46 am, "jim" > wrote:
>> Hi, I am just starting a new must and started wondering after I've added the crushed campden tablet to the must...
>> The
>> recipes I base my wines on all suggest you give 12 - 24 hours after using the campden tablet and before adding pectic
>> enzyme. Obviously they say this for a reason.
>>
>> However, I was wondering is pectic enzyme really that badly affected by the campden tablet? It isn't a living
>> substance, but I'm sure its possible for sulfite to retard other chemical processes.
>>
>> I'm happy to wait, but has anyone had experiences of using pectic enzyme sooner than that after adding the crushed
>> campden tablet? Or do y ou know why the delay is required anyway?
>>
>> Many thanks for any information as always, Jim

> It's fine, don't worry. The instructions are a relic from the old
> days, with the enzymes manufactured these days there is no need to
> wait - in fact, it could be counterproductive because it also delays
> the time when the yeast is pitched.
>
> Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Actually going slightly OT for the thread...

Does anyone know why is it advisable to add campden tablets to a must once it has cooled rather than it is hot? I added
one to a must which was still rather warm by accident. It smelt strongly of sulfite once added. I presumed that
sulfite gets evaporated out too quickly if the must is too warm, but I'd love to know the answer.

Jim