Posted to alt.food.wine
Chris Sprague

Default What's everybody eating/drinking on Christmas day?

Well, after trying to determine which of my wines to bring up from the
cellar, I just found out from my brother that our dad came home last
night with a bottle of 2001 Justin Isosceles.

So I guess that settles the wine question. With it, we are having our
traditional prime rib roast au jus.

For dessert, I picked up a 500ml bottle of 1999 Vin Santo del Chianti
Classico, from Castello di Meleto. I tried this at a tasting last year
and loved it, so I don't really care if WS didn't like it that much.

If we end up needing a second bottle of red, I'm going to open a
Raymond Generations Cab, from 1996.

How about the rest of you?

- Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus

On 23 Dec 2005 06:06:11 -0800, "Chris Sprague" >
wrote:

>Well, after trying to determine which of my wines to bring up from the
>cellar, I just found out from my brother that our dad came home last
>night with a bottle of 2001 Justin Isosceles.
>
>So I guess that settles the wine question. With it, we are having our
>traditional prime rib roast au jus.
>
>For dessert, I picked up a 500ml bottle of 1999 Vin Santo del Chianti
>Classico, from Castello di Meleto. I tried this at a tasting last year
>and loved it, so I don't really care if WS didn't like it that much.
>
>If we end up needing a second bottle of red, I'm going to open a
>Raymond Generations Cab, from 1996.
>
>How about the rest of you?
>
>- Chris

Well, we still haven't found a lot of things--boxes and packing
material are strewn throughout the house as well as in the garage and
SWMBO's detached studio/office. Cookware goodies are among the most
elusive, yet we've uncovered 95% of her collection of 40,000 pieces of
various stemware patterns. (I might have exaggerated just slightly...)

So, assuming we can clear a space in the debris and figure out all the
gadetry of the new gas range, we shall dine on Christmas day on a
Prime Rib (done with an Emeril recipe which I haven't seen) and
accompanied by cheese pop-overs (apparently an Emeril interpretation
of Yorkshire pud.) Probably some noshing goodies beforehand--isn't
life great with Christmas on a Sunday so that you can have NFL on the
Eve, all day of the holiday and then several days more of college
bowls? (Although only a four month Texan, I can't help but look
forward to the Rose Bowl where the Heisman winner and runner-up will
face off. I'm thinking Vince Young will rise to the occasion.)

Anyway, the wine. The beef will get the honor of a 1994 Ridge Monte
Bello. Here's hoping the move did not upset it too terribly and that a
week of rest prior to cork pulling will let it settle. Back-up or
additional will be Ch. Lascombes Margaux 2001.

Wish I could find a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Spanish brandy for
post-prandial sipping before the fire.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe Giorgianni

> How about the rest of you?

On Christmas Eve we're having a smoked Oscar's ham (the best I've ever had,
made here in upstate New York). Piper-Heidsick NV Champagne and a bottle of
1990 Drouhin Clos de Vougeot Red Burgundy.

Christmas Day at my brother's with the prime rib I'll be bringing another
bottle of Piper Champagne and a bottle of 1989 Pichon-Longueville Baron Red
Bordeaux.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

Posted to alt.food.wine
Dick R.

We spend Christmas Eve with my wife's siblings, and since
I'm 100% Swedish and my wife's family is 50% we'll be
enjoying herring, Swedish meat balls, Wasa brod, potato
soup, other delights and whatever "bubbles" my brother in
law brings (always good). However, we don't do lutefisk!
Christmas day is a "free day" where all we have to do is
wrap more presents, drink a few Tom and Jerry's, and get
ready for the onslaught of my kids and grandkids. :-)

Wishing you all a happy holiday season.
Dick R.

Posted to alt.food.wine
enoavidh

"Chris Sprague" > wrote in
ups.com:

<delurk>
Happy holidays to you all, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and
experiences over the past year...haven't decided what to open, as I am
bachelor-gal this year...maybe Tollot-Beaut Chorey 1998, or Mumm Napa Blanc
de Noirs...
Best wishes to everyone!
<relurk>
d.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Chris Sprague" > skrev i meddelandet
ups.com...
<...>
> How about the rest of you?

We don´t have the big family dinner on X-mas Day, but on X-mas Eve (Swedish
custom).
We will start with André Clouet Grande Reserve Champagne with a selection of
tapas;
next, Ladoix Serriigny from DOm Launay (in Pommard, actually) with baked cod
with apple sallad, sugar snaps, and roast cashews with a wasabi froth;
ham, braised in red wine, with figs, honey glazed beets, and lentils (green,
from Puy) with a Croze (Chapoutiers Le Meysonniers)
Cheese with the last of the Syrah
Riz a l´amande with cherry sauce and a recioto di Valpolicella.

This is pretty typical Swedish Christmas fare, as was served by my saintly
mother.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Betsy's making lechón asado (Cuban pork) for our family dinner tonight.
On suggestion from a Cuban wine-friend I'll try the leftover Gevrey, as
well as a half-bottle of Alsace Riesling. I'll only have a half-glass
of each, as I'll be drving a team into the city tonight for our annual
Christmas Party on the streets for the homeless. Tomorrow after about 3
hours sleep we fly to Orange County, CA for time with her family. Her
grandmother will be doing a Hanukkah dinner. I don't know what she has
planned, but I'll bring a bottle (though no one but me will care).

Look forward to reading about everyone's meals and wines.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>> "Chris Sprague" > skrev i meddelandet
>> ups.com...

> All that wine typical Swedish Xmas fare? Ha ha ha..... ;-)

Tell you the truth, nor was my mother particularly saintly ...

> Hey Nils, what should we have for dinner for New Year's Eve? Got any wine
> ideas? we can start with them and make dinner accordingly... Are you
> stopping by Alsace on the way down, or will it be Beaune?

Ohh, ohh, haven´t got a clue. Except we´ll stay the night in Colmar in
Alsace, maybe stop by at Dirler to get some Riesling and PG - good but not
excellent, really, in fact, I could consider doing Bruno Sorg in Eguisheim
instead ... as I said, we´ll bring along a few bottles - Anjou Blanc Reserve
de Fondateur 1983, Ch Nairac 1982, maybe a VOlnay (not certain) and if we
get them, a bottle of Chablis 1er cru 1978 - may be ove r the top, though
What´s in the shops for New Year´s Eve down there? Shellfish comes to mind
.... won´t go very well with neither the Anjou Blanc nor the Nairac, though
(just joking)
Oh yes, we´ll bring a side of smoed salmon, but this is not the best stuff,
I didn´t have time to get any -
but it is edible.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine
niceonedelboy

hey guys, i'm new to this group. Happy Christmas to everyone.

My boss gave me a bottle of 1998 MARQUIS D'ALBAN AOC Bordeaux
Supérieur Rouge for Christmas, so I've taken it home to drink with my
family.

Can anyone tell me anything about this wine? I'd like to know just how
generous my boss is;-)