kenneth mccoy

Default Petite Manseng!

Has anyone else discovered this grape? I've tried four different wines
from Jurancon and one from Pacherenc du Vic-bilh and have really liked
them. The wine I'm drinking now is a Pacherenc du vic-bihl by Domaine
Laffont, tasted over the last 4 days- explosive honey and yellow fruits
with minerals and vanilla, quite sweet but with stong acidity that keeps
the flavors singing- long honey and mineral finish. Best of the group so
far. Next to Riesling this has to be my favorite grape. Why is it so
obscure?

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Kenneth,

le/on Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:05:13 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>Has anyone else discovered this grape?

Yup, I've known about it for some time. But I live in SW France, and it's
here that it is found most often. With the Gros Manseng, it's the traditonal
grape in Jurançon (the petit is used more for sweet wines, the Gros for dry
ones.) Recent years have found it planted more and more in Vic-Bilh,
because it's slightly less tetchy that the more traditional Petit Courbu
which is prone to coulure and has a tendancy to rot.

>far. Next to Riesling this has to be my favorite grape. Why is it so
>obscure?

The grapes have such thick skins that it doesn't get noble rot, so is only
really suitable for making sweet wines in places where they use
"passerillage" - air/sun drying till late in the year. There are not many
places where that's possible. Also, the grapes are tiny and the vegetation
abundent, which gives tiny yields (15 Hl/Ha) - about 1/3 that achieved for a
first growth in Bordeaux.

So, to sumnmarise, small yield, and needs particular climatic conditions to
give of its best.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
kenneth mccoy

How do you think pet manseng might do in the sierra foothills? We are
growing Zin right now, our last vintage has won two gold medals so far.
We have hot summers and our elevation is 2100 feet. It seems like it
might do well. Wish I could be there in S.W. France- MMM Monbazillac!

Mark Lipton

kenneth mccoy wrote:
> How do you think pet manseng might do in the sierra foothills? We are
> growing Zin right now, our last vintage has won two gold medals so far.
> We have hot summers and our elevation is 2100 feet. It seems like it
> might do well. Wish I could be there in S.W. France- MMM Monbazillac!

Not altogether unreasoble, since Jurançon is in the foothills of the
Pyranees, but can you air-dry your grapes into December? If not, you'll
have problems getting the concentration of what you're looking to emulate.

Mark Lipton
kenneth mccoy

I figure I'll stick with Zin, we have enough trouble with it. Besides it
gives me the chance to try all different S.W. France wines. Cheers!

Moet & Chandon Petite Liqueur Michael Rogers Wine 81 01-04-2021 08:25 AM
Mirassou -- no more Petite Sirah? [email protected] Wine 0 28-10-2008 09:38 PM
Petite Syrah spud Winemaking 1 10-09-2006 04:57 AM
Petite Sirah PP Wine 5 12-01-2006 08:34 AM
TN: '01 Petite Eglise DaleW Wine 2 29-08-2005 03:16 PM