Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Mirassou -- no more Petite Sirah?

I tried writing to Mirassou today, to inquire about the drink/hold
timing for their 1998 Reserve Harvest Petite Sirah. (The Ed Mirassou
commemorative bottling.)

First off, the Mirassou AOL address I'd used for years bounced.
... User unknown" . When I tried their Contact Us
page I got a web form, and under the Comment box I found this:

"If this is a follow up to an existing contact please provide the case
number that was given to you by our Consumer Relations team."

Case number? "Consumer Relations team??" Oh man, say it ain't so. Is
this what happened when Gallo took over?

Anyway, I wrote, "What's the latest on the hold/drink recommendation
for the 1998 Harvest Reserve Petite Sirah?" And here's the response:

>Date: 28 Oct 2008 12:49:12 -0700
>Subject: Mirassou Sun wines Case# 295245
>
>Dear JJ,
>
>Thank you for your contacting us. We are pleased to know you have enjoyed our Mirassou Sun Wine in the past.
>
>Unfortunately, we discontinued making Mirassou Sun Wine. Over the years we've tried to keep up with the changing tastes of our customers, and as more and more people indicated a desire for different flavors, we found it just wasn't feasible to continue to produce it. At the present time we do not make a product similar in flavor. We are sorry to disappoint you.
>
>Our customers opinion is highly regarded therefore; we have forwarded a copy of your comments to those involved so they will be aware.
>
>Thanks for your loyal support of our products!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Mirassou Sun
>Consumer Information Center
>Case ID#: 295245
>
>If you respond, please click on "reply" without changing the subject header of this email.

You can't miss the "ejgallo.com" in the X-Envelope address. I used to
think Gallo was doing Mirassou a favor by underwrtiting the winery's
expenses while allowing them to continue making whatever wines they
wished, including the Reserves and Late Harvest bottlings. Looks like
I didn't quite get the whole story. It appears the winery has been
dumbed down to suit Gallo's mass-production/mass-consumption
standards. But I still have one burning question:

WTF???

Actually, you can preface several questions with that. Like, WTF is
Sun Wine? My '98s sport the old dark blue label. WTF happened to their
Petite Sirah? If they're no longer producing it, when did they stop?
Did they plow the vines under and plant Gallo Grigio For The Masses,
or did the vines survive? If the vines are still producing, who's
getting the grapes?

Damn...

JJ

Vinum (California) Petite Sirah Dick R. Wine 11 10-12-2008 06:04 PM
Malbec and Petite Sirah yeast selections Marty Phee Winemaking 2 05-09-2006 08:56 PM
Petite Sirah/Syrah/Shiraz [email protected] Wine 4 07-08-2006 06:40 AM
Petite Sirah PP Wine 5 12-01-2006 09:34 AM
TN Freemark Abbey York Creek Petite Sirah 1978 Cwdjrx _ Wine 3 29-03-2004 08:37 AM