JK

Default Pronounce Montelena?

How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?" Does anyone have notes on the 98
Chardonnay? Thank you.

JK

EMRinVT

>At the winery, and elsewhere, I always heard it pronounce: Mon·tah lă' nah

Interesting. Both a local wine rep here and, I believe, the Wine Lover's
Companion pronounce it Mon·tah lee nah. Now I'm confused.
Mark Lipton

JK wrote:
> How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?" Does anyone have notes on the 98
> Chardonnay? Thank you.
>
> JK

The pronunciation given by the others is correct: "Mont" to rhyme with
"haunt" and "el" like the letter and "ena" as in "heinous." As it
happens, I was at the winery last Friday and tasted the '98 Chardonnay
then. I am in the middle of transcribing my notes, but here's the one
you want:

color: golden-straw
nose: a hint of butter (!) and apples
palate: crisp entry, followed by flavors of slightly oxidized apple and
lemon, finishing cleanly

If I had tasted this wine blind, I would have guessed that it was a
minor white Burgundy from a good year. I think that it will still
develop more and be an excellent accompaniment for food.

Mark Lipton
Emery Davis

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:59:22 -0800, Mark Lipton > said:

] JK wrote:
] > How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?" Does anyone have notes on the 98
] > Chardonnay? Thank you.
] >
] > JK
] >
] >
] The pronunciation given by the others is correct: "Mont" to rhyme with
] "haunt" and "el" like the letter and "ena" as in "heinous." As it
[snip useful notes]

Mark, we agree as to how it's pronounced. The problem in your explanation
is that you don't specify that you pronounce (as do I) heinous to rhyme with,
well, uranus. I have heard some in the US pronounce it "heenus", to rhyme
with, well ...

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Tom S

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> The problem in your explanation
> is that you don't specify that you pronounce (as do I) heinous to rhyme
> with,
> well, uranus.

Uranus is heinous? Not that _I'd_ noticed! ;^D

Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh nus"? At least
that's what I've been hearing in the media lately - probably so as to avoid
all the obvious bad jokes and snickering. <snort>.

Montelena is pronounced just like it's spelled, and is nearly accentless.
No need to jump through Uranus to pronounce it. ;^)

Tom S

Tom S

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> The problem in your explanation
> is that you don't specify that you pronounce (as do I) heinous to rhyme
> with,
> well, uranus.

Uranus is heinous? Not that _I'd_ noticed! ;^D

Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh nus"? At least
that's what I've been hearing in the media lately - probably so as to avoid
all the obvious bad jokes and snickering. <snort>.

Montelena is pronounced just like it's spelled, and is nearly accentless.
No need to jump through Uranus to pronounce it. ;^)

Tom S

potatoman

Tom S wrote:

> Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh nus"? At least
> that's what I've been hearing in the media lately - probably so as to avoid
> all the obvious bad jokes and snickering. <snort>.

the funny thing is that the new pronunciation is equally as funny on
junior high school level - urine-ous.
potatoman

Tom S wrote:

> Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh nus"? At least
> that's what I've been hearing in the media lately - probably so as to avoid
> all the obvious bad jokes and snickering. <snort>.

the funny thing is that the new pronunciation is equally as funny on
junior high school level - urine-ous.
Dana H. Myers

JK wrote:
> How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?"

Think of "All For Leyna"

Dana
Dana H. Myers

JK wrote:
> How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?"

Think of "All For Leyna"

Dana
Joe Rosenberg

Rhymes with Lotte Lenya.

Ch Montelena besides winning the famous competition in the mid 70's--makes a
very long lasting chard as does Mile Grgch the original winemaker, in blind
tasting the Napa or Napa & Alexander bottling were significantly better than
Chalone, Robert Young and other oaky monsters 5 years after vintage. I
always though that Ch Montelena, Stony Hill and Hanzell were the most
burgundian of the early chard masters.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> JK wrote:
> > How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?"

> Think of "All For Leyna"
>
> Dana

Joe Rosenberg

Rhymes with Lotte Lenya.

Ch Montelena besides winning the famous competition in the mid 70's--makes a
very long lasting chard as does Mile Grgch the original winemaker, in blind
tasting the Napa or Napa & Alexander bottling were significantly better than
Chalone, Robert Young and other oaky monsters 5 years after vintage. I
always though that Ch Montelena, Stony Hill and Hanzell were the most
burgundian of the early chard masters.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> JK wrote:
> > How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?"

> Think of "All For Leyna"
>
> Dana

Mark Lipton

Joe Rosenberg wrote:
> always though that Ch Montelena, Stony Hill and Hanzell were the most
> burgundian of the early chard masters.

This very issue came up in conversation at Ch. Montelena on Friday. The
pourer, a former president of Kendall-Jackson, and I agreed that those
three wineries still are about the only ones in CA that make
non-malolactic chardonnays. Plus ça change...

Mark Lipton
Ken Blake

"Tom S" > wrote in message

> Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh nus"?
> At least that's what I've been hearing in the media lately -
> probably so as to avoid all the obvious bad jokes and
> snickering. <snort>.

You do hear it that way a lot, and for that reason. But that
doesn't make it correct. I still prefer the traditional way,
snickers notwithstanding.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Art Stratemeyer

>three wineries still are about the only ones in CA that make
>non-malolactic chardonnays. Plus ça change...
>
>Mark Lipton

Hi Mark ... what about the unfiltered Thunder Mountain Chard ???
Not sure if Milo lets it go into malo or not
Art Stratemeyer
=============================
http://www.stratsplace.com
A Community Celebration the Joy of Wine,Gardening and the Arts

Cellar! Wine Software
http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com
Mark Lipton

Ken Blake wrote:

>>Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh nus"?
>>At least that's what I've been hearing in the media lately -
>>probably so as to avoid all the obvious bad jokes and
>>snickering. <snort>.

> You do hear it that way a lot, and for that reason. But that
> doesn't make it correct. I still prefer the traditional way,
> snickers notwithstanding.

Actually, Ken, if you trace the pronunciation of the name, you find that
it was "URINE-us" until the early 20th Century when schoolteachers and
parents decided that it was too titillating to youngsters and pressed a
change to "your-ANUS," only to see exactly the same reasoning used to
undo that change at the end of the 20th Century. The pendulum swings
once more...

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Art Stratemeyer wrote:

>>three wineries still are about the only ones in CA that make
>>non-malolactic chardonnays. Plus ça change...
>>
>>Mark Lipton

> Hi Mark ... what about the unfiltered Thunder Mountain Chard ???
> Not sure if Milo lets it go into malo or not

Hi, Art! Good to have you back here BTW. I've never seen or heard of
Thunder Mountain, but I'll have to look for some if you think that it
resembles the others. Thankfully, Chablis hasn't become too expensive,
but it's always nice to find domestic wines in that style.

Mark Lipton
Emery Davis

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:41:03 -0800, Mark Lipton > said:

[]
]
] Actually, Ken, if you trace the pronunciation of the name, you find that
] it was "URINE-us" until the early 20th Century when schoolteachers and
] parents decided that it was too titillating to youngsters and pressed a
] change to "your-ANUS," only to see exactly the same reasoning used to
] undo that change at the end of the 20th Century. The pendulum swings
] once more...

Hmm, it'll be prohibition next. Forcing us kicking and screaming back on
topic.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Ken Blake

In ,
Mark Lipton > typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, isn't the new pronunciation of Uranus "YOURŽuh
>>> nus"?
>>> At least that's what I've been hearing in the media lately -
>>> probably so as to avoid all the obvious bad jokes and
>>> snickering. <snort>.

>> You do hear it that way a lot, and for that reason. But that
>> doesn't make it correct. I still prefer the traditional way,
>> snickers notwithstanding.
>>

> Actually, Ken, if you trace the pronunciation of the name, you
> find
> that it was "URINE-us" until the early 20th Century when
> schoolteachers and parents decided that it was too titillating
> youngsters and pressed a change to "your-ANUS," only to see
> exactly
> the same reasoning used to undo that change at the end of the
> 20th
> Century. The pendulum swings once more...

You're absolutely right, and my apologies. I just looked it up
(which I should have done in the first place). The OED and WNI2
give only URINE-us. The other pronunciation is given by Random
House and American Heritage only as a second alternative (I don't
have a WNI3 to check, but I suspect it will be the same).

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Emery Davis > typed:

> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:41:03 -0800, Mark Lipton
> >
> said:
>
> ] Ken Blake wrote:
> []
> ] > You do hear it that way a lot, and for that reason. But
> that
> ] > doesn't make it correct. I still prefer the traditional
> way,
> ] > snickers notwithstanding.
> ] >
> ]
> ] Actually, Ken, if you trace the pronunciation of the name,
> you find
> that ] it was "URINE-us" until the early 20th Century when
> schoolteachers and ] parents decided that it was too
> titillating to
> youngsters and pressed a ] change to "your-ANUS," only to see
> exactly
> the same reasoning used to ] undo that change at the end of the
> 20th
> Century. The pendulum swings ] once more...
>
> Hmm, it'll be prohibition next. Forcing us kicking and
> screaming
> back on topic.

LOL! OK, I'll stop.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

DaleW

"Hi Mark ... what about the unfiltered Thunder Mountain Chard ???
> Not sure if Milo lets it go into malo or not

Hi, Art! Good to have you back here BTW. I've never seen or heard of
Thunder Mountain, but I'll have to look for some if you think that it
resembles the others. Thankfully, Chablis hasn't become too expensive,

but it's always nice to find domestic wines in that style."

Art, I don't know if you knew it, but Milan Maximovich (aka Milan in
Santa Cruz) died last year.
Mark, Thunder Mountain is definitely a Santa Cruz winery worth looking
for. I've quite enjoyed both the Bates Ranch cab and the Star Ruby
blend. My one taste of one of their Chardonnay's reminded me of GC
Chablis (some oak, but lots of acidity).
Count me as a fan of the Montelena Chards (unlike Ian!).
Dale

Tom S

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Actually, Ken, if you trace the pronunciation of the name, you find that
> it was "URINE-us" until the early 20th Century when schoolteachers and
> parents decided that it was too titillating to youngsters and pressed a
> change to "your-ANUS," only to see exactly the same reasoning used to undo
> that change at the end of the 20th Century. The pendulum swings once
> more...

Hmmm... Maybe what we had thought was the 7th planet is actually a Brown
Hole. ;^D

S moT

b becker

On 10 Feb 2005 08:17:46 -0800, "DaleW" > wrote:

>"Hi Mark ... what about the unfiltered Thunder Mountain Chard ???
>> Not sure if Milo lets it go into malo or not

>Hi, Art! Good to have you back here BTW. I've never seen or heard of
>Thunder Mountain, but I'll have to look for some if you think that it
>resembles the others. Thankfully, Chablis hasn't become too expensive,
>
>but it's always nice to find domestic wines in that style."
>
>Art, I don't know if you knew it, but Milan Maximovich (aka Milan in
>Santa Cruz) died last year.
>Mark, Thunder Mountain is definitely a Santa Cruz winery worth looking
>for. I've quite enjoyed both the Bates Ranch cab and the Star Ruby
>blend. My one taste of one of their Chardonnay's reminded me of GC
>Chablis (some oak, but lots of acidity).
>Count me as a fan of the Montelena Chards (unlike Ian!).
>Dale

there is nice rememberance of Milan he
http://www.gangofpour.com/milan.html

bob

Redhart

Mon-tee-leena - the 98 drinks like cat ****.
"JK" > wrote in message
> How do you pronounce Chateau "Montelena?" Does anyone have notes on the
> 98
> Chardonnay? Thank you.
>
> JK

Redhart