Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you pronounce spaetzle?

My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
country.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
> That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
> country.

Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
things depends on where he's from.

Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.

You can avoid the entire issue by using the word "spatzen" instead.

Yeah, this thread was dead for 20 years, but at least it's not
political.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2016 5:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
> things depends on where he's from.
>
> Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
> I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
> between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.

Yes, that is the pronunciation I was taught, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 1:32:39 PM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 11/11/2016 5:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
> > things depends on where he's from.
> >
> > Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
> > I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
> > between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.
> >

> Yes, that is the pronunciation I was taught, too.

Frau Mueller would be pleased to hear that she taught me
correctly in high school.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
> That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
> country.

Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
things depends on where he's from.

Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.

Cindy Hamilton

===

In the parts of Germany with which I am familiar, that is exactly the way
they pronounce it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-11 12:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>> My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
>> That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
>> country.

> Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
> things depends on where he's from.
>
> Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
> I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
> between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.

I spent half my early year's at my best friend's house. They were
German immigrants and spoke Swabian German around the house. Spaeltzle
was served often and their pronunciation is the way you spelled it out.

> You can avoid the entire issue by using the word "spatzen" instead.

True, except that it is usually pronounced spotchen.

> Yeah, this thread was dead for 20 years, but at least it's not
> political.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-11 12:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>> My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
>> That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
>> country.

> Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
> things depends on where he's from.

They aren't just accents. They are dialects. The country is complicated.
Germanic people were spread out across a wide area, and with various
other ethnic groups live between and among them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton says...

> On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> > My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
> > That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
> > country.

> Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
> things depends on where he's from.
>
> Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
> I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
> between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.

Click the blue triangle he

http://forvo.com/word/spaetzle/#de
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
> That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
> country.

shpetzlee.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 5:20:55 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-11-11 12:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> >> My German great-grandma said, "shpetz-ul," with a short "e."
> >> That is the only I have ever heard it, around here in German-background
> >> country.

> > Amazingly, German has regional accents. How a given German pronounces
> > things depends on where he's from.
> >
> > Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
> > I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
> > between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.

> I spent half my early year's at my best friend's house. They were
> German immigrants and spoke Swabian German around the house. Spaeltzle
> was served often and their pronunciation is the way you spelled it out.
>

> > You can avoid the entire issue by using the word "spatzen" instead.

> True, except that it is usually pronounced spotchen.

shpah-tzen

It avoids that troublesome a-umlaut, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 1:32:39 PM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:

> > > Shpate-zleh is about as close as I can come to reproducing how
> > > I was taught to prounounce ä (a-umlaut). It's somewhere
> > > between a long 'a' and a short 'e'.
> > >

> > Yes, that is the pronunciation I was taught, too.

> Frau Mueller would be pleased to hear that she taught me
> correctly in high school.

Shpate-zl[schwa]
Why isn't it a verb?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 1:02:11 AM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> > > Yes, that is the pronunciation I was taught, too.

> > Frau Mueller would be pleased to hear that she taught me
> > correctly in high school.

> Shpate-zl[schwa]
> Why isn't it a verb?

Why should it be a verb? It's not an English word.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Why should it be a verb? It's not an English word.

Oops, I meant "vowel" for a schwa. Senior moment.

leo

How do you pronounce spaetzle? [email protected] General Cooking 1 11-11-2016 06:10 PM
The Only Correct Way to Pronounce Foyer Is ... Damsel General Cooking 16 13-05-2005 04:01 PM
Pronounce Montelena? JK Wine 28 27-02-2005 11:57 PM
How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ? Nancree General Cooking 9 15-02-2004 03:35 AM
How to pronounce Chayote? Jack B Mexican Cooking 6 07-10-2003 12:26 PM